Holly33

Holly33

Aug 23, 2013
New Hampshire
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
Yep, people are just stupid and it's not right. Just tell them you have a fat Pug. :)

Lol...I said the same thing to my boyfriend as we were leaving 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@KMARINO
There's a specific area hubs and I wanted to purchase a townhouse in. It's called Mariner Village in Aventura, just north of Miami Beach.. Apparently, they don't allow dogs over 20lbs. In fact, most places that have an HOA in Fl. don't. At least in and around Miami Beach.
We're kinda in a bad position right now because we're unsure of what to do.

My building doesn't allow Pitties. They made this change to their pet policy a few years ago. Many people were not happy at all...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
@KMARINO
There's a specific area hubs and I wanted to purchase a townhouse in. It's called Mariner Village in Aventura, just north of Miami Beach.. Apparently, they don't allow dogs over 20lbs. In fact, most places that have an HOA in Fl. don't. At least in and around Miami Beach.

My building doesn't allow Pitties. They made this change to their pet policy a few years ago. Many people were not happy at all...

When we were working in Florida we ran into this at the RV parks. Since bullies are not tall we just said they weigh about that amount :D. Heehee

They never questioned us either lol

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
When we were working in Florida we ran into this at the RV parks. Since bullies are not tall we just said they weigh about that amount :D. Heehee

They never questioned us either lol

lol.. I was actually thinking the same thing. Blue's short so we should be able to get away with it.. But with my luck.. :nervous:

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
@KMARINO

You could tell them he is 10 lbs in dog years LOL 2012-09-30_08-25-18_575.jpg... My April is not FAT! she is meaty-petey !!!!!!!!!

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
While hubby and I were still working near Seattle, we had an apartment in Redmond near Microsoft and came home here on weekends. No issues at all with bulldogs or some other large breeds. They even allowed a family with 2 Great Danes. That said, our upstairs neighbor lost her lease because she had a Doberman which was on their insurance company's new list of dangerous dogs. When we were looking for apartments the driving factor seemed to be size of dog -- 50 pounds was the cutoff at many complexes.

singingintherain

May 7, 2014
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba
Oh because English bulldogs are sooooo aggressive. Watch out, they're the worse of all!!! C'mon!!! Are people really that insane????

I was calling apartment complexes several weeks ago inquiring if they allow EBs. I had one who told me EBs are aggressive.

Um, yea, sure...if they mean aggressively sleeping on the carpet. 😒

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Aggressive? That is too weird. Yes, they aggressively attack the food bowl and toys...well, look out world, that is so dangerous! That person knew nothing about the breed. So sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww I agree with everyone's comments above, people make these rules due to ignorance and fear of bull dogs, a lot of people look at the size and shape structure of an EB, and their teeth sticking out, and they automatically think pit bull and they're vicious. They've never experienced the love and gentleness of a bully, and that's sad. I don't believe any dog is vicious or mean, it's the owners that make the dog, even a pit bull or a Doberman, or Rottweiler this way, these dogs are not vicious, they just get a bad rap due to a few stupid people, it's not the dogs fault, it's the irresponsible owners, those who don't properly train, socialize, or love their dog, and those few who for whatever reason think its cool to have an aggressive dog for fighting or other cruel reasons, and then they want to blame the fog when it bites or attacks. It's never the dogs fault. I hope you have a great interview and get the apartment. I'm sure your sweetheart Joe, will pass with flying colours. How could anyone not love that face? Good luck Hun, keep us posted on if you get the apartment. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I remember my frustration when we were looking for a new place, and we were looking for a house rental. We were renting our last house for almost 5 years, and we got our two EB's 2 years ago, I asked my landlord first, and he was okay with it. Last September he came to us, and said his daughter was moving into the house with her family, and we had to move out by the end of December. I thought I had lots of time with 3 months, and started to look for other houses for rent, but nobody here in Canada wants to rent to dog owners. It's not so much about breed of dog, but more because again the irresponsible owners who make it bad for others by allowing their dogs to destroy people's homes. People don't want their properties chewed, their carpets peed on, and so they're not willing to allow dogs. We ended up deciding to buy a house instead, and it worked out way better, as the rents for houses ranged from $1850.00 to $2100.00 and even as high as $2400.00 a month plus utilities, and my mortgage is way lower than that, so we ended up buying our babies a house, and didn't have to worry about them not being allowed. It was a stressful process though as we only had a coup,e of months to find a realtor, arrange our mortgage with our bank, and then do the process of looking and seeing lots of houses, and also of finding a house with a closing date within our timeframe. We were very lucky everything fell into place, and we actually moved into our new house on November 30th, a month before we had to move out. I hope you find something soon.

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Breed restriction lists are silly. Cesar Millan just had a special about the bull breeds. "Love my pitbulls."

One way to overcome objections is to really show a high level of commitment to socialization and training.

Take him through the Canine Good Citizen classes. CGC shows that he is well socialized and lower risk around people and other dogs.

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm
[h=3]What is it?[/h]Welcome to the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Program. Started in 1989, the CGC Program is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club.
cgc_bostonterr_bloomakc.jpg
Many dog owners choose Canine Good Citizen training as the first step in training their dogs. The Canine Good Citizen Program lays the foundation for other AKC activities such as obedience, agility, tracking, and performance events. As you work with your dog to teach the CGC skills, you'll discover the many benefits and joys of training your dog. Training will enhance the bond between you and your dog. Dogs who have a solid obedience education are a joy to live with-they respond well to household routines, have good manners in the presence of people and other dogs, and they fully enjoy the company of the owner who took the time to provide training, intellectual stimulation, and a high quality life.

OP
Holly33

Holly33

Aug 23, 2013
New Hampshire
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
Aww I agree with everyone's comments above, people make these rules due to ignorance and fear of bull dogs, a lot of people look at the size and shape structure of an EB, and their teeth sticking out, and they automatically think pit bull and they're vicious. They've never experienced the love and gentleness of a bully, and that's sad. I don't believe any dog is vicious or mean, it's the owners that make the dog, even a pit bull or a Doberman, or Rottweiler this way, these dogs are not vicious, they just get a bad rap due to a few stupid people, it's not the dogs fault, it's the irresponsible owners, those who don't properly train, socialize, or love their dog, and those few who for whatever reason think its cool to have an aggressive dog for fighting or other cruel reasons, and then they want to blame the fog when it bites or attacks. It's never the dogs fault. I hope you have a great interview and get the apartment. I'm sure your sweetheart Joe, will pass with flying colours. How could anyone not love that face? Good luck Hun, keep us posted on if you get the apartment. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I remember my frustration when we were looking for a new place, and we were looking for a house rental. We were renting our last house for almost 5 years, and we got our two EB's 2 years ago, I asked my landlord first, and he was okay with it. Last September he came to us, and said his daughter was moving into the house with her family, and we had to move out by the end of December. I thought I had lots of time with 3 months, and started to look for other houses for rent, but nobody here in Canada wants to rent to dog owners. It's not so much about breed of dog, but more because again the irresponsible owners who make it bad for others by allowing their dogs to destroy people's homes. People don't want their properties chewed, their carpets peed on, and so they're not willing to allow dogs. We ended up deciding to buy a house instead, and it worked out way better, as the rents for houses ranged from $1850.00 to $2100.00 and even as high as $2400.00 a month plus utilities, and my mortgage is way lower than that, so we ended up buying our babies a house, and didn't have to worry about them not being allowed. It was a stressful process though as we only had a coup,e of months to find a realtor, arrange our mortgage with our bank, and then do the process of looking and seeing lots of houses, and also of finding a house with a closing date within our timeframe. We were very lucky everything fell into place, and we actually moved into our new house on November 30th, a month before we had to move out. I hope you find something soon.

Luckily I found a house to rent ! Joe will have a big yard and I won't have to deal with any silly restrictions! Congrats on your new house! I hope to be able to buy one in the next few years.

I did receive a survey from the complex that didn't allow bulldogs so I responded with my feelings about the bulldog restriction 😠

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so happy, you found a house, this is way better than an apartment, for both you and Joe. You'll have way more room, privacy, and a yard.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.