Flea and tick advice

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Ahh! I just found 2 ticks on Henry tonight. I found 2 last week on a warm day too. He was barely outside today. I have been in a panic because I don't know what to use on him for repellant. I have used the stuff that went on their back for the outside dogs years ago. I have read that it doesn't work very well anymore. What do some of you suggest? What products do you use? We live on the outside of town and fleas and ticks are a problem. I have to make a decision but fret over what is best. Please help if you can.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If you don't want to use chemicals-use

Diatomaceous Earth,food grade. Kills fleas and ticks and others.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
i know someone here posted a lavender spray recipe...here i found it for you. @dalmatina38 hope you don't mind i copied your reicpe here without your permission :D.

"Nope; my girls only get a full fledged bath twice a year and there is nothing neglected about them. They are absolutely beautiful bullies; everytime i take them somewhere people remark on their coats how silky soft they are and how they glimmer. No smelly bullies here; I had a girl bury her face in Ambers coat on Friday night when I took her to get her nails trimmed and the girl said, "she smells wonderful." I was laughing because the girl literally sat on the floor to pet my girls. Someone asked me about the bully lavender wash I use on them well here it is: get some lavender branches either from a lavender plant, the farmers market or a hobby shop, put two gallons of water in a lkarge pot on to boil and break up the lavender branches and put it in the water, let it go to a rolling boil for several minutes then cut the heat back to simmer and just let it simmer for about an hour. Then turn it off and let the water cool just as it is; the boiling of the branches lets the natural lavender come out of the branches and goes into the water. once the water is cooled down completely strain the water into two gallon jugs, there should be a scent of lavender in the water (you can also go to a naturals place and get natural lavender oil like the type you put in poturri pots). Get a spray bottle, fill it up with the water and use it as a spritzer for the bullies once a week. They will smell great, it is a natural flea and tick repellent and no adverse affects. They don't get anything with grains at all; again they get a bath twice a year and no smelly bullies and no where near neglect."

i also found a thyme recipe online using the same method just with 500 gm of thyme.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Frontline, and never had a problem…

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Frontline is the one! I've used it before. It's the one the vet said doesn't work anymore. And suggested I use comfortis. I was pretty sure I'd read on EBN that it was harmful. I think I'll stick with the frontline or advantix 2. I do use lavender essential oils. I will mix some spritzer for my darling Henry to keep him smelling lovely. I can't wait to try it out.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online