Diesels story and more....long!

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Diesel, big wrinkly boy who needed a home..... this add with one picture of him cut my eye on one of those facebook yardsales. We did not look for another dog. We had Xena, my 8 year old boxer and Roxy, this crazy 1 1/2 year old, full of energy, crazy bully, who would jump on trampoline with the kids and slide the slide and break her leg...the one who would get into everything with my little 2 1/2 year old son.
Actually, I told myself that maybe in the the next few years I would like to adopt another boxer, but in white...there is something about those white ones. But here it was, this one picture of Diesel who looked sad, like knowing he is looking for a new home.
I did not tell my husband about Diesel. I saved that add to my favorites and let it be. But two days later I was still thinking about this boy, so I wrote that lady. She wrote me back telling me she had allergies ( of course! what else) and that she can not keep him. How sad!
She wanted $1000 for him, and he was not neutered but she had his AKC papers which were not filled out! I live in middle Georgia where back yard breeders are on every corner. This is an EB with papers not fixed...I guess time to talk to hubby. In the mean time this lady went down on price to $600 and the add started to get a lot of interest.
I showed hubby the picture and he immediately asked me what was wrong with him. I was thinking maybe he had some behavior problems as he was not fixed or maybe he was sick and she wasn't telling us. So I started to dig farther and talk to her more.
Diesel was bought in Iowa from a breeder. Those ppl who got him did not care for him like a EB owner should do. They bought him cheap food, he was skinny, his tail was infected, so his nose wrinkle and ears, his toe nails were not cut etc. He lived like this for the first two years till a neighbor or a friend could not look at this anymore and offered those ppl money for Diesel. This lady had an EB her self , but her female did not like Diesel. This lady brought him to the vet and got him all better but could not keep him because of her other dog. So he was sold 4 months later to the lady who I was talking to.
I felt so bad!!! This dog is 3 1/2 years old and he had 3 owners already!!! But do we really want another dog??? Hubby and I were going back and forth and back and forth till our 8 year old son overheard this conversation and asked to see pictures. After seeing them he said to me "Mom, my birthday is in 2 weeks , so can I get him for my birthday? I dont want a big party, I want a boy dog. An English bulldog boy, and looks like Diesel needs a home"....well, that was it. We needed just to hear this, next thing I know I was on the phone with the lady telling her we will get Diesel but because he is not fixed I would not pay her more then $400. Next day she brought him over!!! Diesel came in, walked straight in the house and we took him outside with my boxer, who is very easy going. I knew when she likes him, he will stay, as Roxy is too goofy and she loves everybody and everything. Sniff here and sniff there, all went well. After few min I took Roxy out. He didnt care, in fact he was all about me and wanted to be patted.
So then the truth came out. Diesel had problems with his tail and she told me she had to clean it twice a day. She brought in a box of gloves, destin, wipes etc to show me how to clean. What she did not tell me that Diesels tail was a cork screw tail and everybody who had him had referrals to clincs to get his tail amputated! I fell in love with this boy the minute I saw his picture and here I am 3 days later after I got him and brought him to the vet I find out he needs a major surgery what will break my wallet! What the heck do I do???? I called my mom..yes my mom, who lives in Germany and I asked her what do I do?? Of course moms know everything and I am glad that I was listening to her.
We got Diesel the first weekend in February, He had his tail removed , soft palate and nostril surgery a month later. Today he is one happy boy who everybody loves.
And his old owner? She hasnt asked once about him since she brought him here!

However we have two small issues what I am not sure I should do about it.
When I got him the lady told me he is peeing in his kennel on his bed so she took the bed away. The tray needed to be gone as well as he would dig in it for hours to get comfy. When I got him I put his kennel on a rug and but an old comforter in there. He had no accidents till we came back from the vet after his surgery. Its not every day but he will pee in there at least once or twice a week. I tried to take the blanket away so he pee peed just a little on the rug. I cleaned it with my carpet cleaner and vinegar and water solution. I sanitized his blanket and all was good till last night. He did it again. What should I do? He really doesnt need to be kenneled, but he likes to sneak in my bathroom at night and sneak on the cat food.
Do you think he just does not want to be in the kennel? He seams like he doesnt mind and if I tell him to go to bed he does. Or is it because he is not fixed?

Another problem is, he has a soft stool.
When I got him I asked that lady what he ate and she said she forgot the dog food so she will send me an email or text with the name of it. I never got it. I asked her few more times but she never responded. I feed my other two bullies Daimond Naturals Lamb and Rice. They never had any problems with it. I know its not a 5 star dog food but it works for them. Diesel had some soft stool, but I thought it was from the changing dog food cold turkey. So I made him some rice and chicken for a week, poop got butter but then he got the surgery and since then he has soft stool again. Of course, he had to be put on canned food because of his soft palate surgery, which I was giving him for a week. Now I started to just make him rice and mix it with watered down kibble with some yogurt in it but the soft stool is still there.
Should I keep doing what I am doing and wait since I had him just 1 1/2 months , or should I go and try a different dog food for him?? What should I do???

Sorry for this book..I felt like telling our story.
I am so happy Diesel is now a part of our family!

IMG_1200-1.jpg

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for sharing this and thanks for letting him stay after finding out about his tail problem. You really are a good writer. :yes: I would try canned pumpkin not the pie filling stuff and see if that helps firming up his poo and keep him away from the cats food. I'm not sure about the peeing problem except maybe keeping the comforter away from him. I'm sure others will reply back about that too.

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I agree he's lucky to have found you, my bulldog had issues with soft stools, rice never seemed to firm him up, we recently had him allergy tested due to a few issues turns out he's allergic to quite a few things one of them being rice! I wouldn't feed him any kibble for a few days and try a bland diet of chicken or turkey with some potato, that seemed to work a treat with mine, if it firms diesel up may be try a kibble that doesn't contain rice, also be aware bullies can be allergic to wheat and corn so he may be better on a hypoallergenic kibble.
As for the wetting again mine use to wet his bed when he was locked in his crate, we no longer use a crate and we've had no further problems with wetting. Hope you find something that works.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Sorry I can help on the issue you are having as never experienced them, but someone will come along very shortly I am sure with some good advice.
I just loved reading the story, I am so glad you found diesel, he scored himself one wonderful caring family. THanks for sharing it.

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Thank you so much for help. So should I just go ahead and get him a different food? Or wait and feed him pumpkin / potato with turkey till his stool is better? I am also now putting that cat food up so he can't get to it. Little stinker loves it as a midnight snack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bless you for taking him in, he is a very handsome boy. He may just be marking his bed. I would take the blanket out and try the pan. If you want something soft for him, we put Primo crate pads in all of our crates. You can get them off their web site. I don't know how much food you are giving him, but try to cut back on the amount just a little to see if the soft poops go away. Sometime too much food will cause this.

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I would feed him the bland diet for 3 days, if it's not firmed up by then I would suggest taking him back to the vet, don't let him eat anything but the bland diet, and don't add any butter or milk into the mashed potato. I don't know how much diesel weighs or how often you feed him, mine weighs around 50lb so I feed mine twice a day and he get's 1 cup of food per serving. If diesel firms up on the bland diet then I would suggest looking at a different kibble.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh I just love your story… so grateful you were able to rescue Diesel and give him a loving home :heart:

I'm not too sure about the peeing in the crate, if you have removed the bedding I really don't know how you can stop it… maybe give him more time since he just had the surgery. I agree w/others on continuing the bland diet, and maybe you should switch his food. Bullies have so many food issues, it's hard to say what would be best for him. Sometimes it's the proteins that just don't agree w/them. I have used Fromm's and Earthborn Holistic and never had issues w/either of them… Good luck w/Diesel and keep us posted!!!

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Boy are we lucky to have peeps like you on this earth, what a sweet story!

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Thank you all again. I will try the blend diet . Can I boil the chicken or turkey all in once for both meals in one day or do I have to boil it before each feeding?
He weights 56 pounds and I feed him right now a cup mushed in water kibble, a 1/2 cup white rice , spoon full of yoghurt, that twice a day. And in the morning he gets a little bit of salmon oil ( I just started with the oil as my other bully stated to shed really bad and I read it was good for dogs).

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Boy are we lucky to have peeps like you on this earth, what a sweet story!

I am blushing!!!! Thank you. However I felt in love with him and I could not just give him back up!!! How could I but this cute face???? ;)

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Such a touching story. Broke my heart when you said he was 3.5 yrs. old and he already had 3 families before you, made me all choked up :tissue:. Wish more people are like you (heck i wish i'm like you! lol).

I would do batches of food when i was cooking for my little guy. enough for a week, so yes you could boil chicken, turkey or fry gound meat (remove the fat) and store it in the fridge. I would hold the yoghurt for the moment, it's dairy it would make his output soft. I'm sure others will come along to add more advice :). goodluck and bless you for giving him a permanent home!

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Today was the first day of blend diet. Let see if this will help this boy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.