4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
OK so Dooley gets soooooo excited when I mention going for a car ride. He runs around from one side the car to the other like mad man grunting and barking. I load his tubby self up and off we go. He immediately stands on the center arm rest and will bury his head between my shoulder and the seat as if he is scared and pants like crazy. When he was younger (this started only a couple months back) he would sit in the seat and chew a toy or look out the window. Does he have anxiety about being in the car? Will he grow out of this? Anyone have any info here?

Thanks

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
IMO I think he just wants to be as close to you as he can be without being in your lap while you drive. I think the older they get the more they realize they are moving and everything whizzing by might get to them and the safest thing, at least in their minds is being by you. I've noticed that in the last 4 or 5 months every time we take Buster anywhere he has to lay on my wife in the passenger seat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My girl HATES the girl with a passion!! if he hated the car, he would not get in willingly, we have to lift Banks in and she will ONLY stay on the floor on the passenger side seat. Her head is tucked under the dashboard and she pants the entire time.

Try to get dooley to sit on the passenger seat with a toy or treat and see if he sits in. could be his belly is upset?

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I've tried to get him to sit or lay on the seat (buckled of course w/ harness) and he will not stay. I've tried toys that he likes thinking this will bring some comfort of home. But all he wants to do is stand with his head buried behind my shoulder.

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
Does she associate the car ride with going somewhere bad? Do you only every take her to the vet?

I think Tallulah is mixed about the car. Sometimes she likes to chew on something; she's eaten through two leashes, so I take the leash off and give her a toy. She makes this weird talking or crying noise sometimes when we first get in. But she mellows out after a few minutes. I'm not sure she likes the smell. Now that I have a seat cover that I leave on for her, she's getting used to that (and rolls around on it to stink it up). I also crack the window for her a bit and the fresh air seems to help calm her. I thought it might be her belly, but sometimes she gets in and doesn't make a peep, usually when we're going home. I think she's mostly worried about where we might be going.

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Does she associate the car ride with going somewhere bad? Do you only every take her to the vet?

I dont think so. Sometimes we just go for a cruse, pet smart, or dog park. He gets super excited when I mention car ride so I dont get the anxiety he gets when we start moving. I have a Jeep and over the weekend I had the top off so I took him for a little joy ride. He seemed to handle it better. Tho he spent the whole trip with his nose in the air smelling all the different smells as we drove around.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I have a Wrangler too! I kind of feel like it get hot in the back when the top is up.

How hot is it in Baton Rouge right now? In LA whenever it get hot we can find Curly all up in our business and trying to get in the front seat. We realized later it was because he was trying to get close to the AC vents. Curly hates being hot.

When Curly first went on car rides he got really anxious. Since we move a lot (hubs is in the Army) we needed to make sure he got use to car ride so before we would tire him out before loading him up into the jeep. This way he learned that he should sleep during care rides. He's a pro now at passing out during the ride. This is a pic from our trip to San Diego last weekend

IMG_4737[1].JPG

OP
4WHLN

4WHLN

Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I have a Wrangler too! I kind of feel like it get hot in the back when the top is up.

How hot is it in Baton Rouge right now? In LA whenever it get hot we can find Curly all up in our business and trying to get in the front seat. We realized later it was because he was trying to get close to the AC vents. Curly hates being hot.

When Curly first went on car rides he got really anxious. Since we move a lot (hubs is in the Army) we needed to make sure he got use to car ride so before we would tire him out before loading him up into the jeep. This way he learned that he should sleep during care rides. He's a pro now at passing out during the ride. This is a pic from our trip to San Diego last weekend

View attachment 68516

3 dogs in a Jeep, where do you sit?!?!? lol
I dont think its a hot thing as he sits in the front passenger seat. I always aim an a/c vent or two on him but he acted the same way during the winter when it was FREEZING. I have a 2dr so the rear wold be more closed in. Maybe I should try him in the back.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Haha! Ours is a 2 door too. we take the back seat out and pile blankets on the floor. There is only my husband and Me so we get the front seats.

His head there is touching the arm rest and there is cold air blowing on his face LoL. He loves it.

I have found that if he is in the front seat he isn't as balanced and moves around more. I also don't like him in the front seat because all three of my dogs would try to get on my lap when we were car training them. I think it might be a security thing.

The dog that is sitting the background is my oldest and he absolutely loves car rides. He is a bit hyper so the way we trained him was by giving him a new nylabone on long car rides. He wouldn't be allowed to take it with him so it was always a treat when went on shorter rides. Now that he is older he just sits and looks out the window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.