Just Got Back from Florida. What a Nightmare trip..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So, what should have been a week full of "fun", turned into a week full of problems.

First, we spent two days in the Keys, Islamorada. We were there back in December and it was amazing. This time, not so much.
Our immediate neighbors (the villa next door we shared a wall with) had a not very friendly wheaten terrier they kept on a lead. He got loose, went after Blue and bit him over the eye. It wasn't bad so we just put some Neosporin on the cut.
They were very apologetic, and generally good people so we didn't make a stink over it. It really was an accident. But that incident pretty much set the precedence for the rest of our time in Fl.

After we left the Keys, we drove up the west coast. Never again. Could not find a decent hotel, and winded up staying in places that looked like you could book a room by the hour, if you know what I mean. They were the sleaziest motels I've ever seen. We slept fully clothed and made sure to put those clothes in a separate bag instead of our suitcase. Yeah, it was that bad.

Four days into the trip, and one day after being bit- Blue started scratching like crazy and hasn't stopped since. His face is one bloody mess, his tummy is red and sore, and he's just miserable. No interest in
anything but sleeping. Don't know what's going on but it's obvious he's reacting to something. Thing is, I don't know if it's the food, the cut, or if something bit him. Either way, I'm barely holding it together. Seeing him like
this is breaking my heart. This is the first time, I just don't know what to do. Completely out of ideas on how to help him.

Funny thing is, when we first got to Fl, we spent two days with my parents in DelRay. If you knew my parents, you would NEVER agree to spending time with them..lol..(I can never do anything right as far as my mom goes). But it turned out to be our best two days. Had a blast and Blue loves 'em. :D

So tomorrow, we're going back to the vet. I'm going to insist on full blood work and an allergy test right away. This just can't continue, need to finally get to the bottom of this

Thanks for letting me vent. I know you guys get it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Wow what a trip. Sorry Blue is not doing very well. Sometimes the hotels spray the carpet with something to keep fleas down and it can cause allergies to the bullies. This also happens at indoor dog shows. Most of the bullies at the shows will start to get red and bad allergies by the end of the shows. I hope Blue gets better soon.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Thanks.
Any idea how long the itching lasts if that's what's causing it?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Oh no what a nightmare trip indeed! Hope Blue gets better soon.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] Usually just a few days. Have you bathed him since you got back? If not you might try that.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh no. I hope Blue is better soon...poor baby...and poor you! What a trip!!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh boy… I'm SO sorry :( sometimes no matter how much you plan or spend things don't work out the way you want them to. I'm the QUEEN of vacation nightmares, so I completely understand how you feel… I usually end up in the ER w/one or both of my kids, or the weather is horrid. I'm glad that you at least got to enjoy a couple of days...

Poor Blue, I think David is right on this one… who knows what they spray in those hotel rooms. Hopefully he will feel better soon… keep us posted!!! :hug:

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=5232]DudleysMom[/MENTION] [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]
Thank you.
This was the trip from hell. I feel terrible for my husband though. He was so looking forward to it. He's been working on a specific project for a over a year now that's been stressing him to no end. It was finally completed in February and this trip was supposed to help him relax.
Instead, he came home even more stressed than before we left.

The irony is that the days I enjoyed the most were with my parents. Those were the ones I was least looking forward to. I think someone's trying to tell me something..lol..

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@DudleysMom @ddnene
Thank you.
This was the trip from hell. I feel terrible for my husband though. He was so looking forward to it. He's been working on a specific project for a over a year now that's been stressing him to no end. It was finally completed in February and this trip was supposed to help him relax.
Instead, he came home even more stressed than before we left.

The irony is that the days I enjoyed the most were with my parents. Those were the ones I was least looking forward to. I think someone's trying to tell me something..lol..

Every time I vacation w/family I'm ready to KILL them by the time it's over, and then I look back at pics and realize we had a wonderful time!!! LOL :blink:

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Every time I vacation w/family I'm ready to KILL them by the time it's over, and then I look back at pics and realize we had a wonderful time!!! LOL :blink:

lol.. i totally get it.. haha..:D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's terrible you had such a bad trip. Poor Blue, I hope it clears up.

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
I'm so so sorry :( please keep us updated on how he is doing and how the vet visit goes :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.