10wks old, hard time pooping!! :(

Angelalynn20

Mar 17, 2014
Okay do my little Winston is 10 weeks old. We've had him for around a week or two. He's been on the science hill food since we've had him but about two days ago I ran out of the food and I got him some iams proactive puppy food. He was having no problems really pooping before but now he doesn't poop much and when he does he balls up for a minute or so trying only accomplishing a very small amount he acts like he's in a little pain. He's not going as much as he was before and it's even changed color a little since changing his food. It was a light greenish/yellow now it's a very dark greenish/brown. Sorry for all the details but I'm getting a little worried. Could it just be the food? What should I do switch him back or give him something to help? Can anyone help me? Thanks, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
So in the very beginning with Hercules he had Iams and being on this site and doing some research I found out that Iams is so bad for our dogs. They have so many fillers and corn, I was terrified. So I switched to royal canine, yeah not so great idea. He want pooping :( so again from this site I learned about forums dog food. So absolutely amazing and a complete and huge difference. His coat is better, no tears, energetic and no redness around his mouth. So I recommend forrums dog food. Hands down the best. Well in my opinion

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It i not really good to switch foods so quickly. Get some canned PURE pumpkin(not pie mix) and put a teaspoon in his food. It will give him fiber. Make sure he has plenty of water to drink.Check out the Food and Nutrition Forum page, and DOG FOOD Ratings. Find a good food for him, and slowly switch him to the new food.
If the pumpkin does not help, and he still has trouble going-he should go to the vet.From now on, You should take about a3 wks. to a month to switch over food. A little pumpkin each meal-and he should be able to poop. Check the foods on this site. Vets usually recommend Science Diet-but it's not good food.

OP
Angelalynn20

Angelalynn20

Mar 17, 2014
Okay, thanks I may have to try that. I really hate seeing him in pain. I was recommended the iams brand so I thought it would be better for him, but it's all went down hill after switching so it's probably not agreeing with him. I may defiantly try and switch and see if that helps! Is there anything I can give him to help him in the mean time to be able to go?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It i not really good to switch foods so quickly. Get some canned PURE pumpkin(not pie mix) and put a teaspoon in his food. It will give him fiber. Make sure he has plenty of water to drink.Check out the Food and Nutrition Forum page, and DOG FOOD Ratings. Find a good food for him, and slowly switch him to the new food.
If the pumpkin does not help, and he still has trouble going-he should go to the vet.From now on, You should take about a3 wks. to a month to switch over food. A little pumpkin each meal-and he should be able to poop. Check the foods on this site. Vets usually recommend Science Diet-but it's not good food. [MENTION=11413]Angelalynn20[/MENTION]

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all, puppy's have very sensitive tummies… you need to change food gradually to get his system used to it. I would highly suggest a grain free food… www.dogfoodadvisor.com has some great suggestions based on what you are willing to spend or your preferences. With that being said, you can give your pup a tablespoon or two of pure pumpkin mixed in his food (NOT pie filling) to help get his system going again.

OP
Angelalynn20

Angelalynn20

Mar 17, 2014
Yeah, I'll defiantly keep that in mind. I hadn't thought of switching over so quickly could upset his stomach too. I'll defiantly get some canned pumpkin I was just reading up on something else that mentioned that could help. So I'll get some of that and hopefully it'll help him. And I'll defiantly be studying up on some different brands of dog food, to see what is best and try an switch him over slowly as soon as I find a good for him. Thanks so much for the advise!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yeah, I'll defiantly keep that in mind. I hadn't thought of switching over so quickly could upset his stomach too. I'll defiantly get some canned pumpkin I was just reading up on something else that mentioned that could help. So I'll get some of that and hopefully it'll help him. And I'll defiantly be studying up on some different brands of dog food, to see what is best and try an switch him over slowly as soon as I find a good for him. Thanks so much for the advise!

I have used Fromm's and Earthborn Holistic for my dogs and they did great!!! Good luck, and keep us posted ;)

OP
Angelalynn20

Angelalynn20

Mar 17, 2014
So sorry I forgot to update! I've just been so excited that he's been doing so much better. I took some advise and got some pure pumpkin and also via a friend found out where I switched his food so quickly I could try giving it to him wet every other day an that's seemed to get him right back on track! So he's doing really great and very playful, back to his normal self. Thanks so much for everyone's advice! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So sorry I forgot to update! I've just been so excited that he's been doing so much better. I took some advise and got some pure pumpkin and also via a friend found out where I switched his food so quickly I could try giving it to him wet every other day an that's seemed to get him right back on track! So he's doing really great and very playful, back to his normal self. Thanks so much for everyone's advice! :)

Great... Please keep us posted.... Now we need PICTURE. :D

OP
Angelalynn20

Angelalynn20

Mar 17, 2014
I'll defiantly keep you all posted. He seems to be doing great. He just went out and got some new toys to play with. The blue bone there is his favorite so far. He was playing with it earlier as you see in the pictures and the napping picture is him right now! He's wore his self playing. :-D

uqy8epad.jpg
qy4yqegy.jpg
da9ysysa.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'll defiantly keep you all posted. He seems to be doing great. He just went out and got some new toys to play with. The blue bone there is his favorite so far. He was playing with it earlier as you see in the pictures and the napping picture is him right now! He's wore his self playing. :-D

qy4yqegy.jpg

What a sweet baby...... love those paws!

OP
Angelalynn20

Angelalynn20

Mar 17, 2014
Thanks, yeah he can be a sweetheart, when he wants to be! :D lol.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.