jillywat

Mar 17, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
Hi
After much waiting an planning we have just got Monty the bulldog
he's 9 weeks old and a lovely little lad. My problem is this I am feeling overwhelmed
by it all, and instead of being really happy I am crying. Is this normal?
Is there another bully owner who could advise/mentor me. I feel such a bad doggy mum.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:hiya:I don't know your situation, if you have children, other dogs, etc. but having a new young pup is like having a new baby. Everything revolves around the "baby". Feeding 3 0r 4 times a day running outside every 15 minutes, to potty train. Little sharp teeth nipping! It is all normal, and if you have never had a pup before-even more "upsetting the applecart!" You will adjust, it is all new, and you will develope a routine, that both you and the pup will settle into. Make sure you have a crate for him. Make it a happy place fro him-not a punishment. When you leave or when YOU need a break, put him in his crate. Make sure he has tough toys, such as nylabones, Kongs, or a large antler to chew. No rawhide or edibles. If he bites you-say no bite, and give him a toy. Need help-just ask us, anyone will be happy to help you! It takes alot of patience and determination to raise a pup. Don't give up-it will be worth it all! Soetimes it is overwhelming, but when he grows up, you will see that it was all worth it, and you will want another!! Do not panic-we here are ALL crazy!!!:w00t:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Lynn has given you great advice...

Just remember this is new for you AND your puppy. You both need some time to adjust, and he will learn potty-training and what's acceptable behavior soon… just be patient!!! Good luck, and we are here for you if you have any questions or just need to vent :)

OP
J

jillywat

Mar 17, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
Thanks very much for the good advice. I don't have any doggy friends to ask so I am so glad I found you.
Monty is settling fine. It's me who's having the breakdown! =)

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Can you tell us why are you feeling like this? Have you ever had a dog before? Xx
Things can get on top of us at times but we are here to help x

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=11412]jillywat[/MENTION]...Having Chubby has been like bringing home a newborn baby...you say we?...is there someone who can give you a break when you are feeling overwhelmed? Hopefully♡ Just be patient and understanding with your bully baby...♡ Good luck♡

Chubby♡

OP
J

jillywat

Mar 17, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help. It means a lot. No I haven't had a dog or kids before so this is a huge learning curve. My husband is being amazing and helpful but I just don't understand how something that is so wanted is effecting me like this.
I am wondering if I should take him back. That would break both our hearts.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh my, please don't give up on him! He is only a baby, and he will require constant attention for the next several months! As others said, it is like having a new baby in the house. Set up a schedule, and stick to it! Your pup will learn from you! Hopefully you are using a crate- it will be your only salvation - trust me on this! If you don't have one, that should be first thing on your list to do today! Pups need their own space, a timeout occasionally( lol- check out some of my threads when Bogey was a puppy!) and the most IMPORTANT thing is PATIENCE!!! These little fur balls will test every inch of it for the coming months. I will PROMISE you that if you stick it out, show him how much you love him by gentle discipline, and a routine he can count on, your reward at the end will be a lifelong companion. Good luck!!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Read up on the breed ,and how to care for puppies ,set up a schedule -so you and your pup got sone structure and you should be ok xx
Puppies like any dog are huge commitment -you chose him ,commit to having a little life dont give up on him now xx
It be all worth it in the end x

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
We went through the same with leon he was very dIfficult and house training him was hard.
Ive had dogs before but I have to admit bulldogs are very challenging but things do get better.
Stick at it you will see things start to settle down plus it was a great relief for me when he started losing his baby teeth.
Leon is now 6 months old he can go through the night without getting up to pee and through the day we have left him alone for 5 hours without any problems.
Maybe invest in a crate or a cage not sure what there called so when you want a break or if there been naughty put him in there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 143

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Keep posting whenever you need, it will get easier as everyone is saying, he is just alittle puppy and needs attention but is won't last forever, you will get lots of support from here, so please please ask anytime for advice. I can only think of how you are feeling, I was such a crying, overwhelmed mess with my first born child, I wanted him and loved him but found it really hard and overwhelming. You are not alone.

OP
J

jillywat

Mar 17, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
Thank you all again. I am totally bowled over with how much support I have gotten. Monty is happy, a very loving pup. This morning I was crying and he just sat there and gave me a cuddle. In some ways that made me feel worse.

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Hi Jilly,

I got my pup Rocky about 2.5 months ago. Like you I was completely overwhelmed, sleep deprived and had no sense of how to do things correctly for my puppy.

I've never had a dog before Rocky, but thought I'd prepared properly and knew what I was letting myself in for. Truth is I don't think you can ever really be fully prepared. I was crying every day and seriously thinking I might not be able to keep my gorgeous little boy. This scared me more than anything!!!!

The GREAT news is it gets easier! I promise you that whilst it's still hard work for me, I feel I've really made some great progress with my boy and am much more in control than I was before. I got an incredible amount of support from the people on this site (and still do).

Give it more time and you'll start to feel more confident. The love you will get from Monty in return will replace the overwhelming feelings and you will feel so much joy. I can't describe how much I've bonded with Rocky and the love I feel for him, and that I can see from him for me.

Keep going!! I PROMISE it will get better. That's what everyone said to me and it did!

Kxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You have everyone here as a support group as we have all been through the same feelings and frustrations. You have been given great advice already so there is not much else I can add. Just keep giving your baby love and be patient and consistent with training and schedule and before you know it things will get easier as time goes on.

OP
J

jillywat

Mar 17, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Monty
I can only say thanks again for everyone's help. I will keep trying to be a better doggy parent and hopefully I will look back at this post and laugh =)

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.