Looking for some help

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
The most important part of being a parent to a dog or a human is love and willingness to learn and try . You seem to have both of those going for you. You will be fine. There are lots of articles on the site about caring for bullies and pups. Don't overwhelm your self with too much info at once. For now set a feeding and potty schedule and try to enjoy him. After that is underway successfully you can start to tackle other issues like training .

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Please dont give up! I promise you, I went through this same exact thing when I got my baby. I had never had a baby before and I havnt had a pup in a long time and my last one anyways was very easy. When I got jovi i was crying all the time because I felt like I couldnt do it right. I think as new moms we know that its going to be hard but at the same time we expect it to be easier than it really is. It took me I think 2 weeks to finally say to myself that this is worth it. And she is the best thing to ever happen to me. I love her more than anything and Im glad i stuck it out. So hang in there! I promise promise promise it will be worth it!! dont give up.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=11412]jillywat[/MENTION] - Welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs!! Everyone has given great advice, I just want to add set very clear Rules, Boundaries & Limitations for Monty if he knows what is expected of him he will be a happy and confident bulldog. Set the feeding and potty schedule and be 100% Consistent with everything ... I have set feeding times for my dogs, that way I know when they will need to go outside to relieve themselves. A dog with Consistent Rules, Boundaries & Limitations is a much happier dog than a dog that does whatever it wants whenever it wants, dogs require structure, it's a lot like raising a child, a well adjusted dog or child is the one that knows what is expected. Be patient with yourself, it takes time to adjust to having a new family member that is completely dependent on you and your time. We would a love to see some pictures of Monty!!!

Good luck and ask any questions you come up with, we will all be here to help you. Soon you will be wondering how you lived without Monty as a part of your family :)

Bulldogmd

Sep 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time, I know this sounds old but it won't last long. It's like having a newborn. Try to really find their personality

Bulldogmd

Sep 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
Sorry hit wrong key, my bulldog made me do it. Get to know them and bond. It will be ok. Hang in there.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I felt the same way.
He's our first dog ever. We got him when he was about 8 weeks old, and when he was 9 weeks, my husband left to Argentina for a week on a business trip.
I flipped out. Was such a tough week.

I promise it gets easier as the weeks go by. Meanwhile, a puppy playgroup in your area would help you a ton!

But, for those moments you feel like crying, just post here instead :D

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Hey, puppies are HARD believe that! I remember yelling at my husband " You wanted this dog!" I was home all day with puppy and kids. Getting little sleep, yup I cried. It does get better!! I can't imagine life without Meatball now. But I always didn't feel that way. It's hard, just remember the puppy is as emotionally drained as you. Trust me I wouldn't have listened to my own advice a few years ago. Lol :) good luck

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
I totally understand what you are going through. I wanted my baby bullie more than anything, and when we finally did, I started to regret my decision because it was taking such an emotional toll. I remember just sitting in the shower, crying, because I was exhausted and because I was scared that I couldn't do it. But like others have said, it totally gets better. It really was only a matter of a month or so, that Koozer, my husband, and myself got into a routine and life became so much easier. Bottom line, it is so overwhelming BUT SOOOOO WORTH IT!!!!!!

PS...I ditto the crate suggestions with bullie proof chew toys (nylabones, antlers, and kongs)...the crate is a saving grace, and your bullie will thank you for his little safe space.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=11412]jillywat[/MENTION].... How are you doing?

📰 Latest posts

Members online