1st bulldog owner. having trouble with biting

vonguerra

Dec 24, 2010
hello! I have to say english bulldogs are epic :luv:! I love my Tank a 3mth old but he is always biting me and soo aggressive :eek:. I'm open to much needed advise. Thanks:bully:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You will get much advice, but just like with toddlers you will need to train them not to do this. This is usually a puppy's way of 'playing', but they need to understand that it hurts you. I am very dramatic. I don't just say Ouch, no.... I act like it is severely hurting me, accompanied with a human "YELP!" and then I will push them away, saying "NO BITE!!!" Once they understand this hurts you and it is not a good behavior, they should quit doing it. Other things you can use are cans of coins to shake, or spray with water bottle, or canned air.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Good luck. I wish I could offer some advice but so far have not had an issue with biting. Lola, now 3, went thru a quick stage of that but we kept so many toys on hand she eventually just went right for the toys or my shoes (ughhh). Brodie, so far and knock on plenty of wood, is not a biter. He definately loves his toys and bites on Lola, in a non aggressive way, but we have had no issues with him.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Definately replace the bad with a good. Whenever the biting or chewing gets out of hand, a loud yelp and a no, followed by a toy to chew on.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I had the same problem with my bully, I did exactly what [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] does and it works!! I didn't try the spray or other things first just the verbal.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
we didnt really have a biting problem with lex just everyonce in a while and we tell him no sir... he has come to know that if we say no sir he is fixin to be in trouble following with a spanking (not to hard though)

Buckminster

Jan 16, 2011
Biting, even playful biting, with bullies is tough because they can actually hurt you! My husband has gotten a couple of "battle scars" from playing with our bully. I have found that you should 1) not play any sort of tug games, as that encourages his behavior; and 2) as soon as the play gets rough, the play stops. Just walk away. Your bully will learn that if he gets too excited then you won't be part of the play. The "drop it" command is good, too, especially if you want to get a toy or something from him and you don't want to put your hand in his mouth. Good luck, and by the way I LOVE your bully's name!

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=1638]vonguerra[/MENTION], I am new here too and have found this forum to be sooo helpful! Seriously! I've never owned a bully before and felt like I had no idea what I was doing. You'll love it here! My Lola is 3 month's also and she is awful when it comes to biting! (She split my thumb open while playing aggressively one day...OUCH) Anyway, I try to be consistent and pin her, but she is so strong willed that she will get up (after submitting) and do it again. I tried spraying her in the face with water when she got in her "aggressive" mood and that helped until my husband made the water bottle a toy for Lola and now she wants to attack it every time she sees it. Ugh! Anyway, I am going to try the can/coin thing and see if it helps. I'm desperate as her little teeth hurt!! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.