help with my spoiled EB..Count's barking is too much!

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
My 2yr old "The Count" for short, has been harassing me with his barking. I should change his name to Bob Barker some days!.... He has been through and passed to recieve his AKC good citizen training, but inists on barking when I am on the phone (which I avoid) barking at the wall (ghost's I think) barking at the wind (because its windy you know) and barking to remind me its "bed time" He is a great GREAT dog, OH GOOD hes barking right now? He is not in pain, he has played, eaten, gone out, spray bottle and penny shakers do not work. He's either thirsty OR wants it 2 chew on :) ANY IDEAS?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well not much help on the barking, except just to stay on him to be quiet. But the thirsty part??? If you do not leave water down for him 24/7, you should. It is not good to restrict water from them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also have a 'mouthy' bully --- SHE just likes to be heard. Best I can say is good luck --- nothing works for her either.

But ... why is there not water out... what do you mean by chew on it? Like to eat the bowl? If yes, do you use plastic bowls, maybe switch to stainless steal or ceramic bowls?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have two bullys and they could not be more opposite. Frankie is the most chill relaxed dog I have ever had. BRUTUS on the other hand puts new meaning to the term HIGH MAINTENANCE!!!! He barks for his toys, he barks if he thinks you are not paying enough attention to him, he barks barks barks. I think if it is their personality there isn't too much you can do about it. When we tell him NO BARKING, he barks at us. He is so fresh it makes me love him more and more. I love him to death. I would not change his personality for anything.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Molly Barks at anything that moves.. But she doesn't bark when she wants something.

Kevin doesn't bark... but he 'grunts' when he wants something.

The thing you want to avoid is letting 'The Count' teach you to obey him.
"IM BARKING BECAUSE I WANT ATTENTION".. (then you give him attention)
"IM BARKING BECAUSE I WANT A TREAT".. (then you give him a treat)
He may be training you.... and the barking is working for him :)

For me, i've had the best luck with the 'nothing in life is free' system (the idea is to let the dog know your in charge... not them). Kevin will come up to people and ask for some attention (his version of "GIVE ME A BELLY RUB!! NOW!!"). If he barks we ignore him.. then we make him do a trick (sit, lay down.. etc.. work for his belly rub) then he gets attention.

From my experience... barking is a hard habit to break in dogs. Hopefully you can find something that works :)

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
I have that problem with my boxer!!!! She is very mouthy and will "talk" aka different bark to you if she wants attention, belly rug, a treat etc. she always was a talker, from baby on and she trained me. She would bark while I was on the phone. So to shut her up I would give in and give her treats. Till I realized that she knows what she is doing and I am giving in!!! She loves attention. She now knows she won't get it from me when she barks ( I finally put my foot down) but she does it when I get company. She will bark and behave like a spoilt brat. For real. I have a lot of friends who love dogs and love her and they say they don't mind give her the attention but of course this shows her she can keep doing it and she gets what she wants. So I told my friends not to touch her and ignore her till she stops. If she doesn't after few min , I put her in her kennel and she can sit there till she comes down. It's sometimes very enjoying, ecsesially when somebody you don't know is at the door! However , I wish you good luck !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
OH YES, sorry I was posting in a short time frame. He ALWAYS has water, he doesn't mind the spray bottle because he thinks its another way to drink. Unless he gulps up most of his bowl, he will then leave behind the slobbery part and I will give him "a clean bowl"

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
Yea... I am using stainless steel. I DID notice in dog school...he wouldn't drink from the very large "community dog bowl" so I poured water from a bottle into it...and he drank that?

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
It's amazing, outside of the home, he has personality, not so bossy

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
aww, YES I am that person. I do make him work, probably not enough though. Kevin is cute, I would take a grunt over a bark

- - - Updated - - -

I did use the kennel, he has calmed down, work in progress I HOPE

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=11387]Luvsbullies[/MENTION] - I like to use sound aversion, its one of my favorite training tools added with a verbal command. Barking = Clapping my hands twice (sound aversion) and the verbal command "Quiet" the clapping of my hands gets their attention, while they are focused on me I can give the verbal command. It takes time, patience and total consistency but it will work.

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Reading some of these made me laugh. Rambo does not bark a lot but what he does do is DRIVES my male Jack crazy. Because he barks in his face when he wants to play and I mean right in his face lol and he will get so mad. And if I tell Rambo to stop barking at Ricky he barks at me lol

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
He must be picking up on my lack of patience some days. I have been using the kennel more often and he quickly calms down after a time out. It's like he comes out and does the "walk of shame"

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I have two boys, Rocky and Rambo... Totally unalike, Rocky is laid back, quiet, and like snoopy, everything he does, he does calm, kewl, and collected.... Rambo on the other hand, is a total handful... He barks, just to bark... He sits on the furniture and looks into space and barks, He stares at Rocky and barks, when I answer my phone, he really cuts up.... so 2 things I do that helps, First tool I used was to put him in his crate when I was on the phone and he wouldn't get quiet, Then I used the phone, and after hanging up, got him from his crate, and let him out, he was better... Something I found worked better for us both.... "Ice Cubes" i'm not sure if they freeze his tonsils closed, or numb his throat where he can't bark, or exactly what they do.... But feed him ice cubes, and watch the barking stop... Give it a try. :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online