help with my spoiled EB..Count's barking is too much!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Just one question...does he get what he want's when he barks? Try not to give him any attention when he barks, turn your back, walk away...and don't give up! He's a bulldog and will go on for a loooong time, but you just need to be more bull headed and stay strong. Give him what he want's when he shuts up, he hopefully will get the picture at some point.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
It's funny to read about everyone's experiences, lol. Boeboe is a barker, she barks at EVERYTHING and doesn't listen when I tell her to stop, in fact she put in a small extra "woff" after every "no" I say:tongue:. Heard from a dog trainer that I have to "claim" the things she barks at... but I've given that up loooooooooooong ago, I wouldn't be doing anything else than walking around trying to claim ****:blink:

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I'm going through the exact same thing right now. Bocephus will just sit next to me if I'm working or watching tv and he will bark for an hour if I don't give him the attention he is demanding. I've found that time outs are helping a LOT. I've tried the water spray bottle but he literally tries to catch the water in his mouth like it's a game. He's only 6 months old so I'm hoping I can get him out of this habit soon

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
Actually lately he barks when the phone rings and I'm on it and is a complete jerk to anyone that comes around barking and demanding attention. He would take all the attention he can get, but you can play, do all of the good stuff. and I finally break down, put him in the crate when he is not satisfied, and usually he quiets down. Until he comes out, then its all over again.

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
Yep he barks when the phone rings, and when I am on the phone. Tried ice cubes, didnt work! Now he's craving all the attn from anyone that comes into my home. I just need a good distraction because he is SO stubborn he just keeps testing and testing.

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
I tried the loud penny shaker, clicker, and water bottle. They are all games and something he can potentially get his hands on and destroy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep he barks when the phone rings, and when I am on the phone. Tried ice cubes, didnt work! Now he's craving all the attn from anyone that comes into my home. I just need a good distraction because he is SO stubborn he just keeps testing and testing.

to a dog.... any attention is attention... even negative attention gets them what they want. as hard as it is, have you tried to TOTALLY ignore - turn your back and not acknowledge at all?

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
OH the last remark was a joke, when I take him out of the home he drinks from a water bottle instead of his water dish.

OP
L

Luvsbullies

Mar 13, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Count
As I type, he is barking. If I go in the kitchen and do something, like unload the dishwasher he will lay down and fall asleep. If I am watching tv he is barking, and his bark is "bossy" to say the least. I LOVE MY DOG, sure I probably raised him this way, but good grief I cant even date with my dog acting this way LOL

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella only barks when she's irritated. She barks when she wants attention that's she's not getting or if she wants a toy or if she wants to get on the couch or if she wants out of the crate/playpen, etc. She's a bossy little #{%+!

i just ignore her when she does it. I also try to leave the room. Tonight I put her in her crate and she cried for about only 10 minutes. I finally went back to get her (once she was quiet). And she was sitting up, leaning on the cage, looking at me like, "Get me out of here, #%!, I'm quiet now." She's a trip!

So, my only advice would be to walk away and ignore until he's quiet. When he's quiet, come back and tell him, "Good boy for being quiet."

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus barks for attention. I try to break him of it, but when I have company they think it's cute and give in and play tug o war or give him pets. I also give in when I feel guilty for being at work all day. When it gets to be too much I ignore it and it may take 10 minutes but he will go lay down, it takes some patience though.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.