What's in a name??

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
We wanted a "good" English name for our bulldog. We thought Elizabeth. But that's not enough. Our Liz has beautiful light brown eyes, so who is a famous Elizabeth with beautiful eyes. We named her Princess Elizabeth Rosemont after Elizabeth Taylor. We call her Liz. We adopted Amy, we decided on Princess Amelia Mary after Amelia Earhardt since she is not afraid of anything.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
The Pittsburgh penguins have a player they call "Geno", Evegeni Malkin. My hubby wanted that name from the start, but some dog "expert" said don't name him that because he'll get confused with his name and the word "no". We tossed around the idea of other names, we came close to naming him "buddy". My husband calls everyone "buddy" so it didn't feel right. We went against the expert opinion an stuck with Geno. It's fun when watching the game and the crowd chants "Geno! Geno! Geno!" :w00t:

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Well there is no hiding where mine came from. Bon Jovi of course.

ColeB

Mar 18, 2014
Richmond, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cue
I was looking for a good English name for her and couldn't come up with one that I liked. So I started to think about James Bond characters and thought of the character "Q". My boyfriend really likes short names so we decided we liked it but wanted to make it more feminine. So we named her Cue, which is also a reference to how round she was as a puppy. She's our "little" Cue Ball. :)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Diesel picked his own name :lol: I had never owned a male dog, always had females so when Diesel came into my life I went through SO many names ... Tonka (tonka truck) Dozer (he was just like a little bulldozer), TaTonka (means buffalo), Grizzly (he jumps like a grizzly bear when he plays), Kermit (he walked like a frog due to his week hips as a puppy), he would not respond to any of the names I came up with, then one day I was watching a Vin Diesel movie and my sweet puppy with no name did something wrong and I said Diesel you stop that! at the sound of Diesel he looked straight at me and came running wiggling in every direction, it was like he was saying you finally figured out my name ... so he picked his own name :) his nickname is Lil'Man since he was my first male dog and he is my lil'man

Molly came to me already named her official name is Miss Molly Doodles :lol: her nickname is doodlebug

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Pork chop is a rescue , I adopted her with a given name and registered. People know her by Pork Chop or Porkie. I call her Porkie or MissWaddles as a nickname. I have loads of nicknames Princess Porkie haha I love my girl so much.

She 's a great girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
My new pup's full name is Bocephus Watasha LeDoux.
Bocephus is the nickname of Hank Williams Jr
Watasha is the nickname of Waylon Jennins
LeDoux is in honor of Chris LeDoux

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
We looked at Amber and decided her name needed to fit her looks at first and came up with Amber Dagney; Amber was because she is a fawn color and looks amber in the sunlight, her middle name Dagney is one of the characters in Ayn Rand's Book titled Atlas Shrugged. As for Ruby, we already had one named Amber and that is also a precious stone so we went with the precious stone theme and came up with Ruby and her middle name is Violet. It really should be Ruby the Roo because we call her Ruby-Roo most of the time.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
The day the rescue dropped Chumley off I had set in my mind I was going to name him Rex after Rex Ryan the coach of the NY Jets because Im a huge Jet fan he has a face like a bulldog. When the car door opened and I heard "Meet Chumley" I said that name has got to stay! (although I found out later there was a character from a show called Pawn Stars named Chumlee he was named after.)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My hubby had wanted a bully for years, so when he finally got his baby he named her "Bella" italian for beautiful :heart:
Of course when she had her pups she had 8 OF THEM… so we decided to give them all british names:

BOYS : Winston, Sherlock, Cromy (for Cromwell), Bentley, and Wellie (for Beef Wellington!!!)
GIRLS: Chelsea, Beatrice, and Winnie (for Winnie the Pooh)

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I spent the journey home from the breeders trying to come up with a great name for the adorable pooch in my arms. My friend and I kept looking at him and saying names but none of them seemed quite right.

When we got home we popped him on the floor to sniff and explore and put the TV on at the same time. Immediately the 'eye of the tiger' song came on and my friend and I looked at each other and said 'Rocky' at the same time. It was perfect for him and we danced with him to the song!

Officially he's Rocky D as my surname is Dickinson. We always used to call my late Nanny 'Mrs D' and 'Rocky D' just seemed to fit! Xx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Officially he's Rocky D as my surname is Dickinson. We always used to call my late Nanny 'Mrs D' and 'Rocky D' just seemed to fit! Xx

I like it!!!

Camila bubba

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Ive always like the name Bubba for a pet. Ive been wanting a bully for 6 years but my husband and I were renting an apartment so we didnt want to get a dog because of the space. I bought my first home last year and 2 months later i finally got my Bubba baby!! He will be 10 months in 2 weeks. I looove my bubby!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
The day the rescue dropped Chumley off I had set in my mind I was going to name him Rex after Rex Ryan the coach of the NY Jets because Im a huge Jet fan he has a face like a bulldog. When the car door opened and I heard "Meet Chumley" I said that name has got to stay! (although I found out later there was a character from a show called Pawn Stars named Chumlee he was named after.)

I knew it! Chumlee makes the show comical, and Chumley's pics are always hilarious, so its a perfect match. Although Chumley's super handsome, so not a perfect match that way. :wink:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's named after The Stig from the BBC car show called Top Gear. Stig's registered names is actually 'The Stig' ... the breeder chuckled at that one. It's my bf's fave show and we thought it suited him because he's all white in colour, just like the character.

Punkin joined a couple of years ago, from a friend's friend, and seeing he was 4, we felt it would be best the his name should stay. We thought it was girly at first but as time flew by, we realized Punkin's feisty personality suits his name.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.