Thread: Changing floor surface

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Two
    Likes (Received)

Default Changing floor surface

We are in week 8 of a total main floor remodel (well, all except the kitchen; that happens in 2 years). We've been living downstairs throughout construction. We have replaced all the carpet with hardwood floors and tile in the bathrooms. Lucy is used to the tile, but she doesn't adapt to change very well.
    My husband is a paraplegic, so we have a lift on the stairway going downstairs. Lucy will not step on it (when it's down you have to walk on it to go upstairs,it's a corrugated steel surface). I'm concerned that she won't walk on the wood floors. I'll be adding area rugs, but the floor installer said to wait six weeks. We took her up after the floor was stripped to the subfloor and she was hesitant, but finally eased on to it. It wasn't shiny, though.
    Knowing my girl, I don't think my concern is unfounded.
    Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Changing floor surface

Well, I guess if she wants to go anywhere, she will have to learn to walk on the hardwood. Have her nails trimmmed, as short as possible-without hurting,so she will have better "traction". She will eventually get tired of standing in one spot-and venture onto the floor. Sometimes the only solution is to let them figure it out.
    When I first had hardwood put down, they walked around like they do on wet grass-lifting their feet. They got over it. Don't make a big deal out of it. If she wants to get to her food and water, she will do it. In the Dollar store, they have rubberized rolls of shelving for a dollar. If it worries you, you could makes a path with them. Personally I feel that she will just get used to it-the less fuss,the better. Best of luck.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

Charley went from carpet to hardwood floors and really didn't skip a beat. He does slide on it a bit, so prefers our carpeted downstairs family room for playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bully Bootie Duty Sarah Elizabeth's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hulk
    Likes (Received)

Hulk will be going through that transition later this year. Hope all goes well with the transition for her!

Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    Us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastian
    Likes (Received)

I agree it might take time but she will adjust .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ah.... our little OCD bully babies! Change is such turmoil for them..... give her time and let her ease herself into ti. Do not pet or try to comfort her, that tells her it is OK to be afraid, just let her work on it as she wants to.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Two
    Likes (Received)

What got me to thinking of this is that a couple of weeks ago I walked into Petco and there was a young couple with a beautiful EBD standing in the entry. Of course, I struck up a conversation in which they said he hadn't been on a shiny floor and they couldn't get him to go into the store. They ended up turning around and leaving. This reminded me that Lucy will not go up the stairs because she won't walk on the lift. It may be because she's seen it move and is afraid it will move if she gets on it. If she is downstairs and the lift is at the top of the stairs she'll go up the stairs, but obviously she can't get past the lift. I have to say that it's been okay because if she would go upstairs she'd get in the way of the construction crew. She'd want to be the center of attention.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

Great advice @2BullyMama !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove Ads