Changing floor surface

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
We are in week 8 of a total main floor remodel (well, all except the kitchen; that happens in 2 years). We've been living downstairs throughout construction. We have replaced all the carpet with hardwood floors and tile in the bathrooms. Lucy is used to the tile, but she doesn't adapt to change very well.
My husband is a paraplegic, so we have a lift on the stairway going downstairs. Lucy will not step on it (when it's down you have to walk on it to go upstairs,it's a corrugated steel surface). I'm concerned that she won't walk on the wood floors. I'll be adding area rugs, but the floor installer said to wait six weeks. We took her up after the floor was stripped to the subfloor and she was hesitant, but finally eased on to it. It wasn't shiny, though.
Knowing my girl, I don't think my concern is unfounded.
Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I guess if she wants to go anywhere, she will have to learn to walk on the hardwood. Have her nails trimmmed, as short as possible-without hurting,so she will have better "traction". She will eventually get tired of standing in one spot-and venture onto the floor. Sometimes the only solution is to let them figure it out.
When I first had hardwood put down, they walked around like they do on wet grass-lifting their feet. They got over it. Don't make a big deal out of it. If she wants to get to her food and water, she will do it. In the Dollar store, they have rubberized rolls of shelving for a dollar. If it worries you, you could makes a path with them. Personally I feel that she will just get used to it-the less fuss,the better. Best of luck.

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Hulk will be going through that transition later this year. Hope all goes well with the transition for her!

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
I agree it might take time but she will adjust .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah.... our little OCD bully babies! Change is such turmoil for them..... give her time and let her ease herself into ti. Do not pet or try to comfort her, that tells her it is OK to be afraid, just let her work on it as she wants to.

OP
shobbsie

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
What got me to thinking of this is that a couple of weeks ago I walked into Petco and there was a young couple with a beautiful EBD standing in the entry. Of course, I struck up a conversation in which they said he hadn't been on a shiny floor and they couldn't get him to go into the store. They ended up turning around and leaving. This reminded me that Lucy will not go up the stairs because she won't walk on the lift. It may be because she's seen it move and is afraid it will move if she gets on it. If she is downstairs and the lift is at the top of the stairs she'll go up the stairs, but obviously she can't get past the lift. I have to say that it's been okay because if she would go upstairs she'd get in the way of the construction crew. She'd want to be the center of attention. :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.