Dumb dumb dumb

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Sometimes I wonder how I can be so slow. I've been struggling to figure out why Henry has been having skin problems. This morning our routine changed just a little and it all came together in my head. I have Henry and 3 parrots. I think his allergy is to the bird food cast offs that he slurps up in the morning. Today Henry got to play outside longer as it's warming up. He wasn't allowed to roam in the house and inhale and dropped food. He of course rolled in a poo pile so I had to bathe him. Last night he had big welts. Today they're gone and his skin in barely red. It's the grains from the birds I think. Jeez! How in the hell did I not see this before And how will I remedy it?? I can temporarily separate them but will have to fix something to keep the bird food in the cage instead of being thrown out. Maybe it's that simple! I may not need to change foods after all. Does this sound like it could be the problem to you??

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh it definitely sounds like a possibility to me!!! Can you put a gate in the room that the birds are kept in to keep him out of it?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
That definitely could be contributing to the problems you are having.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would think that's certainly a possibility!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I can see in my mind the birds throwing seed to your Henry...sorry...they most definedly can cause problems.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had parrots for many years. My dogs always cleaned up the seed. In fact one of the grays would grab fistffulls of seed and drop it, just to watch the dogs come to get it. Luckily-never had allergies. Try moving the birds to a room and gate it off, so that Henry can't get the seed. Give it a month and see how he does. If that is the problem-then you will have to have a designated "bird room", where Henry can not go. Hope fully that will be the solution, and things will be good!
Knowing parrots, I can't think of any way you could keep them from getting seed on the floor! Even those trays for the bottom that slant out, don't do any good.
He could even be allergic to their dander-unless you have "oily birds".

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I bet you are right, there are those wraps for the bottom of the cages that help a lot. We have parakeets and they used to do the same thing until I got one of those wraps. Happy you figured it out, could save you a bundle!! :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Sorry I can't get past "he rolled in a poo pile and needed a bath" These bullies are so funny. But seriously, it sounds like you may have figured it out.

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
It's funny how sometimes the answer is right in front of us and we don't see it. Hopefully you figured it out. Good luck!

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
I agree this could totally be the problem .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh I'm glad you figured out the mystery. Sometimes it's just trial and error, or figuring out what has changed in their diet or routine, before you know what caused the reaction.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds realistic to me.... now, how you will stop him for eating it is a whole other question :ponder:

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] I do have oily birds actually, eclectus. No dander. One of the cages is right by Henry's crate so he gets tossed some goodies on occasion. I can move things around so they aren't right next to each other but they do have to remain close as the dining room is the only available space at the moment. I was thinking I could put some plexiglass up on the food bowl side of the cages and keep most of the cast offs down quite a bit. It seems odd to me that his skin is all broke out yet his tears are very minimal. Am I wrong that there is a connection between the two?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.