Shipping a bully

Camila bubba

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Im in love with this breeder from
GA and I live in CO Ive been wanting a second bully for long and the breeder is willing to ship her to CO. Does this sound like a good idea or should I travel to get her myself? Have some of you done the shipping a puppy thing? How does it work?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I live in Chicago and my first bully duchess was shipped to me from Oklahoma at 8 weeks with no issue and it cost about $300 two years ago. I imported duke from Hungary at 12 weeks he was shipped to me and had to take two airplanes and again had no issue and I believe it cost about $1k. There are also nanny services that will fly with the dog - this is considerably more, there are also ground services that will drive the pup. There are flight restriction I believe they can't fly a bulldog above 72 degrees. So it can be tricky May- September. Duke was flown to me from Hungary in June without issue. As long as it's a reputable breeder and they have shipped puppies you should have no issue. Good luck!

Carol Baker

Mar 13, 2014
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlow, Gus
Personally, I would never buy from a breeder who ships dogs. I just think that it is wrong and dangerous for a bulldog.
I also think that you should see the dog in person before you buy it and you should check out the breeder in person too. See their facility and how they care for their bulldogs.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
The Breeder sent Elmo to me by ground transport, We met the gentleman about 30min. from home. He drives an 18 wheeler to transport puppies to their new home, his rig is air conditioned and has a real clean truck for the puppies, it cost me $200.00. But I received my Chihuahua by plane 3 years ago, she did Great. I am sure your Baby will be fine. Susan Moore

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMO I would never have a bully shipped from an airplane… it's way too risky!!! Many airlines refuse to ship bullies because of their compromised breathing issues. I agree w/ [MENTION=11382]Carol Baker[/MENTION] it's best to see the dog in person to make sure they are healthy and a good match for your family.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The Breeder sent Elmo to me by ground transport, We met the gentleman about 30min. from home. He drives an 18 wheeler to transport puppies to their new home, his rig is air conditioned and has a real clean truck for the puppies, it cost me $200.00. But I received my Chihuahua by plane 3 years ago, she did Great. I am sure your Baby will be fine. Susan Moore

^^^ that is what I was about to suggest

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
I looked into shipping Daisy when I got her. I was just too concerned about how long she would be in the crate let alone how scary it would be for her to be away from mom & sisters for the 1st time. I also checked into flying her in the cabin with me. The airlines I checked wouldn't allow any type of bulldog over 8 weeks in the cabin. I drove 17 hours each way to pick her up. Breeder let us stay overnight at his house instead of going to hotel so we could bond with Daisy and get to know her mom. It was a long drive but it was worth it in my opinion.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with Sue above. I would make the trip to pick her up or meet the breeder half way. My nephew bought a baby from a breeder in Montana and he lives in L.A. and they met in Utah.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Charley flew from Oklahoma to Seattle, WA. It was risky so I was a nervous wreck, but ground transport was more than I could afford and I was concerned about a driver taking care of him for several days. Charley actually did fine in the plane. He doesn't have breathing issues, so I'm sure that helped. I was really amazed he didn't have an accident in his crate. I think he was in there about 12 hours and he was just a little over 7 months old. It seems like I did everything wrong but ended up with the perfect bully for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
No no no no no no no no!!!

DO NOT ever ship a bulldog (or any dog for that matter!).

Go pick him up. It is not a safe environment for bullies especially, because it's not temperature controlled.

And honestly, I would be VERY weary of any bullie breeder that would even suggest shipping him!!

(also, there are pet airlines that specialize in flying a pet safely to you. It may be cheaper/more efficient to look into one of those)

Carol Baker

Mar 13, 2014
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlow, Gus
I had to come back to say No again to shipping a dog. I just don't understand why anyone would consider it. You wouldn't ship a child so why ship a dog?
I don't need a dog bad enough that I would need to go beyond my driving range and have one shipped. The right dog will show up within the region that you can travel to.

A good breeder is going to want to meet potential owners to make sure they are suitable, our breeder asked us all kinds of questions when we first met her. She wanted to be sure her pups went to good homes.

OP
Camila bubba

Camila bubba

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
You guys are right. Thank u so much.

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I didn't have my bully shipped but I did have a chihuahua shipped a few years ago and he did great. Health wise I'd be nervous to fly a bulldog but he's not going to be scarred or ruined from flying alone. :) For Bear, we met the breeder half way which was in Kentucky for us!

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
I am curious , where in Ga is the breeder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
The airlines keep the pets in a temperature controlled, pressurized area of the plane. Bulldogs can't fly if the temperature will be over ~ 70 degrees in any airport where they will stop along the way. Shipping is certainly not ideal, but it worked out beautifully for us and for Charley. His previous owner was keeping this precious puppy chained in the back yard or in the garage. The new wife didn't want a dog in her new upscale home. Charley now has a much better life.

By the way, we weren't looking for a new bully yet since our Leiah had just recently passed. I had been thinking about rescue but WA bulldog rescue didn't consider us to be suitable bulldog owners since we don't have a fenced yard.

Charley found us. My sister's neighbor was caring for him until the owner could find a new home for him. My sister just told me about this cutie and I knew right away that he was our Prince Charles-- Charley. I had dreamed we were having a male next. Then I did my homework-- talked to the breeder, the sire's owner and Charley's owner. Even had him checked out by a vet who had raised bullies.

This was one of those "meant to be" experiences. I'm so thankful we put Charley on that plane. That said, it would not be my first choice!

So, while I respect your opinions, but this was such a blessing for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online