Old English Bulldogg 8.5 week old pup with biting issues

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
I researched for almost a year about this breed and just love them. I have my first Bully pup, named Bella. She is blue / white. I know the breed tends to be stubbourn but she does not know when to quit. She is very mouthy / nippy. Would appreciate some advice on training / discipline to curb this. I realize she is a pup and needs to chew and she has an overabundance of toys but prefers us insted :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Being persistent and consistent is the key. When she goes to bite or bites something she is not supposed to a firm no or ow and redirect with something acceptable to chew or bite on. It will take time but she will eventually get the hint.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Being persistent and consistent is the key. When she goes to bite or bites something she is not supposed to a firm no or ow and redirect with something acceptable to chew or bite on. It will take time but she will eventually get the hint.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

:up: consistency and patience.... it is a long road with the puppy chewing

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
"no bite" and give a nylabone, stuffy, or antler. be consistent and redirect onto something your puppy is allowed to chew. constant supervision and consistency will be your best best friend in 6 months when you realize all your hard work early means you can trust your dog home alone not to chew anything inappropriate! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Puppies bite, that's what they do and they need and love to play. So when she bites on things she should not, just tell her NO and give her a toy she can hew on. It takes time and a lot of patience. She will out grow this before you know it, and you will wonder where the puppy days have gone.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I like to screech loudly, like I'm a litter mate, a nice big exaggerated YELP!!!! Even if it doesn't hurt that much. It tells them they are hurting you, and they don't want to do that. This works really well for me but you gotta do it like you mean it! They usually follow with licks instead . Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I like to screech loudly, like I'm a litter mate, a nice big exaggerated YELP!!!! Even if it doesn't hurt that much. It tells them they are hurting you, and they don't want to do that. This works really well for me but you gotta do it like you mean it! They usually follow with licks instead . Good luck!

This is always made duke want to play more- lol

Camila bubba

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Bitter apple. I used it on my furniture at the bigining now is not necesary he knows what i do and dont like. Give it time. My bulldogs eats everything... I mean everything but he is calming down now. He is 9 months i got him when he was 8 weeks

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I posted this very same question when I got ace. He shark bit my daughter 3 days in a row. Totally normal for them to be biting everything. You have to consistently correct and give him their appropriate toy. Get her a deer antler, kong, or nylabone. This phase will pass. Ace is much much more calmer after 1 month with me. He's 17 weeks :)

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=11366]Brandie37[/MENTION]....Chubby is 14 weeks and still gets very rambunctious...I have th bite marks to prove it...but it's only sometimes...other than that he is a snuggle bunny♡♡♡♡

Chubby♡

Christoff Strutten

Mar 13, 2014
Virginia Beach
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius Jefferson Kirkpacktrick

That worked with Tiberius, he still plays with his mouth, but he is very careful not to hurt me.

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
I think they all do that when they are little. Daisy only had 1 sibling so she didn't get a lot of practice learning that it hurts to bite others. I was so frustrated but I was always consistent in shrieking (even if it didn't really hurt that much) and redirecting with something it was ok to bite. Eventually she outgrew it. Now if she accidentally gets me during a rambunctious game of tug o' war, I'll pretend cry. She is so concerned after that.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online