I think my bulldog is abnormally small....?????

B

Baxter Tiberius

ok thanks you guys. I was worried that I stunted his growth by not feeding him enough. I have just been very careful on his amounts

Don't stress. The fact is, he's not obese. And like me, probably every English Bulldog you've met is obese. So you feel that he's abnormal. I know the feeling. I have watched Baxters food intake carefully as well, and as a result, he's the only one running, jumping, and taking off "full-steam" at bully meetups. Literally running circles around them all. Active and athletic and having fun. While the rest (99%) of the dogs there are struggling just to walk, breathing hard with almost no movement, bloodshot swollen eyes, and bad skin issues. You are doing him a favor by keeping him healthy. I can't count the number of people who say "Wow he's big for a puppy!" Incorrectly assuming he's an overgrown 4 month old. Because they can't grasp that an english bulldog would still be so active at 10 months, as their 10 month old looks like its about to keel over.

I don't know if you have gone to any bully meetups but you will see that nearly every single one of them are morbidly obese. And the status of their health is very telling in the puss and gunk and inflammation around the eyes and in the folds. Some of them just look horrible to me. Its all because of the food. (and exercise levels). Stick with it. If you want to give him a little plump, you can add a little more of the food. Isn't going to hurt him. I started giving Baxter some kibble because his whole food mixture was 90% protein. Now that he's getting a small, controlled amount of safe carbs via kibble, he's filled out just a tiny bit to look perfect. I wont take it past that point, because I'm not interested in a dog who struggles just to walk.

You can also give him a little peanut butter once a week, a whole egg, a fish oil capsule every few days, etc. Healthy fats will help plump him a little without adding any unhealthy ingredients to his diet. Egg yolk is extremely healthy.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
He is a very handsome boy , I think he looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly May Giggles, Mister Moe Wrinkles, Lil' Miss Jitterbug Wiggles and Calling All Angels Trudeaux
Our Jitterbug is 28 lbs at almost 10 months old. Our vet says she is the smallest Bully he has ever seen. She is aborably small and petite.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
My vet has told me weight in numbers should not be taken into account, it's body composition. If he "sees" that ace is getting fat, then he would use his weight as a guidance for weight loss. This goes for weight gain as well. All pups grow at different rates. I've seen runts of other breeds outgrow the biggest pup of the litter. Currently, I see my ace blowing up in size and muscle these past couple of weeks, when as before I thought he was small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
erniesmom

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
Don't stress. The fact is, he's not obese. And like me, probably every English Bulldog you've met is obese. So you feel that he's abnormal. I know the feeling. I have watched Baxters food intake carefully as well, and as a result, he's the only one running, jumping, and taking off "full-steam" at bully meetups. Literally running circles around them all. Active and athletic and having fun. While the rest (99%) of the dogs there are struggling just to walk, breathing hard with almost no movement, bloodshot swollen eyes, and bad skin issues. You are doing him a favor by keeping him healthy. I can't count the number of people who say "Wow he's big for a puppy!" Incorrectly assuming he's an overgrown 4 month old. Because they can't grasp that an english bulldog would still be so active at 10 months, as their 10 month old looks like its about to keel over.

I don't know if you have gone to any bully meetups but you will see that nearly every single one of them are morbidly obese. And the status of their health is very telling in the puss and gunk and inflammation around the eyes and in the folds. Some of them just look horrible to me. Its all because of the food. (and exercise levels). Stick with it. If you want to give him a little plump, you can add a little more of the food. Isn't going to hurt him. I started giving Baxter some kibble because his whole food mixture was 90% protein. Now that he's getting a small, controlled amount of safe carbs via kibble, he's filled out just a tiny bit to look perfect. I wont take it past that point, because I'm not interested in a dog who struggles just to walk.

You can also give him a little peanut butter once a week, a whole egg, a fish oil capsule every few days, etc. Healthy fats will help plump him a little without adding any unhealthy ingredients to his diet. Egg yolk is extremely healthy.

Ernie is incredibly active. That was another thing that surprise me as I heard they were not. He zips around my yard like our boxers and goes for long walks every day. You are right, I am just used to seeing them big!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
According to KC standard females weight should be around 20-25 kg

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
My boy at 10 months is only 21 kg (46 lbs), ok 21.4 kg to be exact from our last weigh in lol. I'm also very careful on the amount of food i give him. Like you i was also (and i think i still am) worried that i may have stunted his growth by not giving him enough food or i was giving him imbalanced food, but then i have to take into consideration that he is very active. At the moment i have to reduce the amount of food i give him because he is not allowed to play frisbee outside due to him limping. Once he's ok though he'll be back to his regular ration of 600 gm of meat everyday. So long as i can feel his ribs when i touch him, im good :).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.