Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think my bulldog is abnormally small....?????

Bulldog(s) Names
    ernie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I think my bulldog is abnormally small....?????

ok thanks you guys. I was worried that I stunted his growth by not feeding him enough. I have just been very careful on his amounts

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pcchenard View Post
    Does anyone have a typical weight chart for Bulldogs (male and female) for how much the average bully weighs at each month of age as they are growing? My Lola is 19 weeks old today and only weighs 18 lbs. I'm guessing that she is small for her age? Her sister weighs 24 lbs. Does this mean that she will be a small adult or is there a chance that she will still get up to the 40 lb range? It doesn't really matter, but I'm curious.
    they are all different and really no real growth chart that I am aware of.... heck Cheryl (@libra916) has Orion who at 40lbs sure packs a good punch in personality.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pcchenard View Post
    Does anyone have a typical weight chart for Bulldogs (male and female) for how much the average bully weighs at each month of age as they are growing? My Lola is 19 weeks old today and only weighs 18 lbs. I'm guessing that she is small for her age? Her sister weighs 24 lbs. Does this mean that she will be a small adult or is there a chance that she will still get up to the 40 lb range? It doesn't really matter, but I'm curious.
    I agree with @2BullyMama, I've scoured the web and have read to many books on Bully's and all of the charts differ so much, this is was thread that was started that gives you a pretty good average in my opinion: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...s-to-10-years)

The AKC have their averages too.

Baxter Tiberius

Quote Originally Posted by erniesmom View Post
    ok thanks you guys. I was worried that I stunted his growth by not feeding him enough. I have just been very careful on his amounts
    Don't stress. The fact is, he's not obese. And like me, probably every English Bulldog you've met is obese. So you feel that he's abnormal. I know the feeling. I have watched Baxters food intake carefully as well, and as a result, he's the only one running, jumping, and taking off "full-steam" at bully meetups. Literally running circles around them all. Active and athletic and having fun. While the rest (99%) of the dogs there are struggling just to walk, breathing hard with almost no movement, bloodshot swollen eyes, and bad skin issues. You are doing him a favor by keeping him healthy. I can't count the number of people who say "Wow he's big for a puppy!" Incorrectly assuming he's an overgrown 4 month old. Because they can't grasp that an english bulldog would still be so active at 10 months, as their 10 month old looks like its about to keel over.

I don't know if you have gone to any bully meetups but you will see that nearly every single one of them are morbidly obese. And the status of their health is very telling in the puss and gunk and inflammation around the eyes and in the folds. Some of them just look horrible to me. Its all because of the food. (and exercise levels). Stick with it. If you want to give him a little plump, you can add a little more of the food. Isn't going to hurt him. I started giving Baxter some kibble because his whole food mixture was 90% protein. Now that he's getting a small, controlled amount of safe carbs via kibble, he's filled out just a tiny bit to look perfect. I wont take it past that point, because I'm not interested in a dog who struggles just to walk.

You can also give him a little peanut butter once a week, a whole egg, a fish oil capsule every few days, etc. Healthy fats will help plump him a little without adding any unhealthy ingredients to his diet. Egg yolk is extremely healthy.

Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    Us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastian
    Likes (Received)

He is a very handsome boy , I think he looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Laura
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly May Giggles, Mister Moe Wrinkles, Lil' Miss Jitterbug Wiggles and Calling All Angels Trudeaux
    Likes (Received)

Our Jitterbug is 28 lbs at almost 10 months old. Our vet says she is the smallest Bully he has ever seen. She is aborably small and petite.

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member AceTheBathound's Avatar
    Real Name
    Eric
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ACE (The Bathound)
    Likes (Received)

My vet has told me weight in numbers should not be taken into account, it's body composition. If he "sees" that ace is getting fat, then he would use his weight as a guidance for weight loss. This goes for weight gain as well. All pups grow at different rates. I've seen runts of other breeds outgrow the biggest pup of the litter. Currently, I see my ace blowing up in size and muscle these past couple of weeks, when as before I thought he was small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ace! Come here boy...
    Ace just stares

Bulldog(s) Names
    ernie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Don't stress. The fact is, he's not obese. And like me, probably every English Bulldog you've met is obese. So you feel that he's abnormal. I know the feeling. I have watched Baxters food intake carefully as well, and as a result, he's the only one running, jumping, and taking off "full-steam" at bully meetups. Literally running circles around them all. Active and athletic and having fun. While the rest (99%) of the dogs there are struggling just to walk, breathing hard with almost no movement, bloodshot swollen eyes, and bad skin issues. You are doing him a favor by keeping him healthy. I can't count the number of people who say "Wow he's big for a puppy!" Incorrectly assuming he's an overgrown 4 month old. Because they can't grasp that an english bulldog would still be so active at 10 months, as their 10 month old looks like its about to keel over.

I don't know if you have gone to any bully meetups but you will see that nearly every single one of them are morbidly obese. And the status of their health is very telling in the puss and gunk and inflammation around the eyes and in the folds. Some of them just look horrible to me. Its all because of the food. (and exercise levels). Stick with it. If you want to give him a little plump, you can add a little more of the food. Isn't going to hurt him. I started giving Baxter some kibble because his whole food mixture was 90% protein. Now that he's getting a small, controlled amount of safe carbs via kibble, he's filled out just a tiny bit to look perfect. I wont take it past that point, because I'm not interested in a dog who struggles just to walk.

You can also give him a little peanut butter once a week, a whole egg, a fish oil capsule every few days, etc. Healthy fats will help plump him a little without adding any unhealthy ingredients to his diet. Egg yolk is extremely healthy.
    Ernie is incredibly active. That was another thing that surprise me as I heard they were not. He zips around my yard like our boxers and goes for long walks every day. You are right, I am just used to seeing them big!

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

According to KC standard females weight should be around 20-25 kg
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

My boy at 10 months is only 21 kg (46 lbs), ok 21.4 kg to be exact from our last weigh in lol. I'm also very careful on the amount of food i give him. Like you i was also (and i think i still am) worried that i may have stunted his growth by not giving him enough food or i was giving him imbalanced food, but then i have to take into consideration that he is very active. At the moment i have to reduce the amount of food i give him because he is not allowed to play frisbee outside due to him limping. Once he's ok though he'll be back to his regular ration of 600 gm of meat everyday. So long as i can feel his ribs when i touch him, im good .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads