Voodoo

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I don't know how it happened but Henry has the voodoo! That dang dog has had a spell on me from the second I seen him! I am obsessed! I constantly worry. It's worse now than when my humans were babies. My current obsession is his skin problem and if I should change foods. He's on Orijen grain free now. I switched from the royal canin. On the orijen his poop is predictable, gas is gone, tears are less and skin is red, bumpy and he's loosing hair like I can't imagine possible. He's on an antibiotic. Vet says it's a skin infection. I don't know if this means the food is wrong or the previous food is to blame. He's been on the orijen for at least a month. Could it be anything but the food? Is it the shampoo? I'm about in a panic over this. I've lost all sense of reality! I don't even like dogs. It is the strangest thing. He is my baby. I give him as much love, affection and attention as any other member of the family. My kids say we're in the Twilight Zone. I know it's happening but I can't change it. I'm hooked and I love it!

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=10908]Roseann[/MENTION]...you are not alone...I was the only one in my family opposed to getting a dog and then the stigma of the English Bulldog and all their issues...I was like no way!!! Here I am only one month later so crazy about my Chubby!!! I am definitely under the Chubby spell♡ At least I know I'm not the only one♡

Chubby♡

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs, they will steal your :heart: in seconds flat and you will forever be happy they did!

Orijen is a good food, what protein base are you using? What type of shampoo do you use? How long has he been on the antibiotic? So many things that could be causing his skin irritation.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have him on the puppy formula. Protein is 38%. Is that what you mean by protein base? Or the ingredients? They are listed as chicken, turkey and then salmon on the ingredients list. The shampoo I was using was Johnson's baby no tears. I have since learned that was a mistake. Also I was bathing him too much maybe. He is so dirty now that it's driving me crazy. He loves to play in the mud and roll dirt if it's dry. He's been on the antibiotic a week. He got neutered and the vet said he had a minor skin infection.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have him on the puppy formula. Protein is 38%. Is that what you mean by protein base? Or the ingredients? They are listed as chicken, turkey and then salmon on the ingredients list. The shampoo I was using was Johnson's baby no tears. I have since learned that was a mistake. Also I was bathing him too much maybe. He is so dirty now that it's driving me crazy. He loves to play in the mud and roll dirt if it's dry. He's been on the antibiotic a week. He got neutered and the vet said he had a minor skin infection.

I'm not a nutrition expert but from what I've learned sometimes it is easier to figure out dietary sensitivities when you feed a food with only one protein plus a lot of dogs seem to be allergic/sensitive to chicken. I've read a few times in different threads here on EBN that others use no tear baby shampoo on their bulldogs and have been happy with the results. I have pet wipes for those oops the fur-babies found dirt moments in between baths, maybe try the hypo-allergenic ones since Henry is already having skin issues. A lot of times it just takes trial and error and a lot of eliminations to figure out what our precious bulldogs are allergic/sensitive to. Good luck I hope you can figure things out, keep us posted :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

can you post some pictures of the skin concerns? I am thinking it is too much bathing - it strips the skin/fur of the natural oils and can cause what you are referring to

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldogs are just irresistible and you can't help but fall head over heals for them. See how it goes once you switch the shampoo, it's really good to hear that he is healing up. :yes:

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Maybe he's blowing out new fur? I'm having shedding issues with mine and some flakiness. I'm under the impression that he's getting new coat, but really don't know. His fur is still soft though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't think I can get a picture that will show anything. On his back the skin is light pink. If you rub or brush him it turns bright pink and seeps blood a little. Like it blisters or something. There is small spots that feel like a light bump but if you look close it's dandruffy and the hair is falling out in that spot.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would change his food and get one that does not have chicken or turkey in it. That should help with his skin problem.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everyone!

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I noticed tonight that Henry has some bumps on his skin. It was clearing up now getting worse than before. It looks like there is a marble under his skin. I'll call the vet in the morning but was wondering if anyone has a suggestion. I haven't given him any baths or used any spray on him. Or any wipes actually. I haven't changed his food yet as I was letting the antibiotics run it's course and haven't decided what to do about food yet.

Most Reactions