Puppy play vs puppy fight

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
How can you tell if puppies are just playing rough and how can you tell if things are getting a little out of hand? Is constant biting to the neck normal?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
try to get a video for us.

But one thing to look for is the 'play-bow' they have the front arms/paws extended out in front of them and the butt is in the air

Play-Bow.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Biting the neck is normal as well as grunting and growling. How long have you had your bully? Usually you can tell what is play and what is aggression. I know with my two, if a high pitched barking is mixed in with the growling, it is time for me to step in and end play time. I can usually just say "enough" in a stern loud voice and they calm down. I also watch for direct staring as this is not good and can lead to fighting.

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
My Bullie is fine playing with other dogs. He's usually the one who instigates the play. (Running, jumping around, chasing). But today, our neighbor let out his pitbull pup which is younger, that was just biting my bullies neck the whole time and barking. I let them play but I'm not use to seeing other dogs biting like that on him.

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
I just wanna know what to look for if the other dog was trying to be dominant than being playful.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
If he's barking and biting, hmm... I'm not sure. Is he mouthing his neck or actually biting? I would let them play again but keep a close eye on them.

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
The other dog is barking and biting the neck, well the skin around the neck because of the loose skin. Leo doesn't bark at other dogs. I don't want him to become fearful of other dogs in the future if he has a bad exp with this one. When ever we go to the dog park or park, he is really well mannered and plays well with other dogs. But this particular pup is more of a biter and barker than most other dogs he has met.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Biting the neck is normal. They can get pretty loud when they play and when they get too rough or fight they will get really loud and the pitch changes. You pretty much will know when that happens. We will let them play until they get too loud and will stop the play until it escalates into a fight.

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=10981]Sophatp[/MENTION]...Chubby bites my feet/socks and loves to bite my daughter's pig tails because they are super long...I guess he thinks they are chew toys...He hasn't played with other dogs but he loves to bite me and my kids♡

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
[MENTION=11185]Chubby[/MENTION], Leo has actually stopped biting since I made a shaker can. It's more of the other dog biting and pulling on his neck that worries me. Doesn't seem like play to me.

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
Thanks for the info David.

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=10981]Sophatp[/MENTION]...Chubby likes to play ruff with us...but is always nice when people pet him...What is a shaker can? And how did it stop the biting...just curious?

Chubby♡

OP
Sophatp

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
It's a simple can with some pennies in it and tape the opening. I Shake it when Leo is doing something he shouldn't be doing and say no right after. I've only had to use it twice, so he learned pretty quick what not to do. He's a perfect pup.

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=10981]Sophatp[/MENTION]...that's awesome...I'm going to try that...Leo is a cutie!!!

Chubby♡

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
The other dog is barking and biting the neck, well the skin around the neck because of the loose skin. Leo doesn't bark at other dogs. I don't want him to become fearful of other dogs in the future if he has a bad exp with this one. When ever we go to the dog park or park, he is really well mannered and plays well with other dogs. But this particular pup is more of a biter and barker than most other dogs he has met.

How did or does Leo react to the play? Does he join in or is he trying to get away like he is scared? I've always been very protective of my bulldogs, and I will step in if I feel uncomfortable with the play but if Leo isn't afraid and is having fun then I would just keep a close eye on them and let them be the crazy bully breed they are. My two play loud and like typical bulldogs they are rough and tumble dogs but like the others have said you will hear the pitch change and you just know its time to step in, I will tell them enough and they know to stop the rough play.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.