Jealous! My Bulldog is too friendly to strangers! - Have you experienced the same?

Sophatp

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leonidas
[MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION], how did u train your dog to ignore people/dogs? I would like to give it a try. Leo loves getting attention from everyone when he's out and about.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hes not treat enthusiastic when hes out on the lead so it wasnt easy but he knows simple commands like sit wait walk etc. When he knew these really well I would make him sit wait walk (when people/dogs were not around at first randomly just make him sit or if hes by a road make him sit and wait) praise when he does the commands or if Leo likes treats give him a little treat. This is all to get him to pay good attention to you when you want him to and to listen outside as well as at home.

I then put this to the test when people were walking towards us I made him sit wait until the person walked past constantly telling him sit wait stay there wait good boy wait etc.. then walk again. If he goes to move give the AH AH sound (or the sound you use when Leo goes to do something he is not supposed to!!) And repeatedly tell him to sit and wait sounding stern amd serious cos your the boss ;)

its not a life changing training technique but its worked for us. You have to become really unsociable for a little while when your doing this dont stop and speak to people and walk past explaining hes on strict training and sorry they cant fuss him today. After a few days meeko picked it up well and he just started ignoring people. He still gets excited when people make a fuss of him outside but in general walks are easier. Im using the same techniques with dogs now hoping it works - hes getting better in he has started to sniff and walk but sometimes he just cant help himself especially if the other dog is happy to see him.

Members online

No members online now.