Jealous! My Bulldog is too friendly to strangers! - Have you experienced the same?

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
My baby doesn't bark in general and loves new people! Every time she sees someone, she would stare at and move towards them. She wiggles her tail, runs in circles around new people and gives out kisses. She doesn't like to say bye to strangers and sometimes want to follow them back to their house.

I'm happy that she is friendly and gentle, but the thing is she RARELY does that to me or my fiance! Sometimes I get very jealous and wonder why she doesn't get all excited to see me :moping:

Have you experienced similar situation before?

Thank you!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
No, mine won't let people touch her. She is always weird out with everything that comes her direction. It takes her a while to let people touch her... at the dog park i just see people trying to pet her and she runs! She has always been like that.... she hates when the elevator door opens and people come out... it scares her!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My Harlea loves everyone. Unless we are in the house she is on her leash so she knows the drill when she meets new people. She will go nuts to get to new people and loves new pups as well. However, she does listen to me when i tell her enough so that will bring things to an end quickly if needed, but we don't have the problem you have as she has to be in our faces at all time as she wants so much loving.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Me thinks it starts when bully's are pups, because there are soooo cute everyone who walks past a bully pup needs to stop and stroke / give attention. When puppy's grow up they keep the same mind set ( with the added fact bully's only get cuter with age ) :yes:

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Barkley is the same way! He loves everybody and every dog he meets! When we go to the park, he doesn't pay any attention to us and runs over to say hi to every other dog and person there. He always tries to leave with other people too haha.

When we have friends at our house, he gets so obsessed with them and just acts like me and my husband aren't even there! I think he just likes new people/things because if we have a few people over, it's always the last person to get there that he will be obsessed with and not leave alone.

He does get excited to see us and want to play with us, but a lot of the time when it's just us, he will want to do his own thing too. But if other people are there he doesn't calm down and leave them alone until they're gone. It doesn't bother me, I figure he sees us so much and just likes getting attention from new and different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with Michele above, I think they just like to get attention from new and different people that they don't often see. Buster does this same thing to us every once in a while too when we see new people and I used to think that but then realized he's just a young bully that LOVES attention.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
they just LOVE people and attention.... Banks forgets all about us when children or babies are around... she just LOVES LOVES, LOVES kids

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
My pup does the same thing and it drives my boyfriend and I crazy!! We get super jealous when Lola does that and it makes us think we're doing something wrong and she doesn't love us. But when one of us leaves for a few hours and comes home, she does the wiggle butt and gives kisses!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
I was like that when he was a puppy but I got used to his behaviour as he grows older. New smell (new people) and very curious. I read someway that don't expect your EB to be a watchdog. He's most likely to welcome the burglar to the house and runaway with him. And also don't expect them to be faithful to one person.

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=11215]Maruko[/MENTION]...Chubby is very friendly with strangers but he doesn't get out much because he still needs some of his shots...Do you spend a lot of time with her? Most of the time Chubby is very affectionate but sometimes he just wants to play ruff and bite...so it's hit or miss with the lovin?:)

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Rambo still being young is learning. The one thing is getting gas. Here in Oregon you can not pump your own and most of them carry treats for the dogs. And Rambo has learned to work it he gets 3 or more. But at home if someone walks by he lets us know once they are allowed in then its but wiggle and pet me pet me. He learned that from my Jacks I am sure. But the watch dog thing, I posted a thing about the history of the bulldogs. It says that if they sense that one of their families are getting hurt they would protect. And I am sure there are exceptions.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have never met a bulldog that doesn't love everyone and the attention it brings them :) My little Diesel is a total mommies boy and he is somewhat stand-offish with strangers but will let them pet him as long as I am close by ... My female Molly I use to think would wander off with anyone that showed her attention as she loves everyone, but I found out later that petting is as far as she will let them go :lol: once a stranger tried to pick her up, she peed all over them :eek: she ran back to me as fast as her short little legs could carry her. Guard dogs they are not :lol: mine would probably invite a robber in and show them where I keep the good stuff :lol: but if they think I'm being hurt they get all protective in their own little way.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
When Lilly was a baby she was exactly the same as your boy xx
It is a novelty for them ,new human means new smells and fun ;-)

OP
Maruko

Maruko

Feb 24, 2014
Dallas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maruko
Barkley is the same way! He loves everybody and every dog he meets! When we go to the park, he doesn't pay any attention to us and runs over to say hi to every other dog and person there. He always tries to leave with other people too haha.

When we have friends at our house, he gets so obsessed with them and just acts like me and my husband aren't even there! I think he just likes new people/things because if we have a few people over, it's always the last person to get there that he will be obsessed with and not leave alone.

He does get excited to see us and want to play with us, but a lot of the time when it's just us, he will want to do his own thing too. But if other people are there he doesn't calm down and leave them alone until they're gone. It doesn't bother me, I figure he sees us so much and just likes getting attention from new and different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Michele! It is true, Maruko gets obsessed with the last person she meets! You are right, she probably gets so used to us and wants extra love from different people : )

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.