And I thought they were getting along so well!

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
I can't believe it's super close to one year that we've had Norm! I can't believe it! I can't believe how much I love this snorty, farty, snoring seriously goofy big baby. I was also impressed with how well he seemed to slide right into our family of cats and our Jack Russell Phoebe.
I guess the honeymoon is over. He and Phoebe no longer get along. :( I am not sure if you could find 2 more bullheaded dogs than an EBD and a JRT. He outweighs her easily 3 times over and he's 10 years younger. I think he's jealous and is claiming me. Whenever Phoebe comes over by me, he leaps up and rushes over to see what's going on. And then there's times they decide to have a big fight. Everyone is seperated and there's been no bloodshed, thank God. Everyone is fussed at sent back to their beds. Even though Phoebe is a lot smaller etc, she shows no mercy or submission. I am always extremely careful with food and treats to not cause issues there. But I am not sure how to deal with the jealousy...
Any ideas? Thanks

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well that is always a hard one. I would say when Phoebe comes over to you and Norman jumps up, stop him in his tracks and tell him NO!! Plus keep Phoebe from going over, make her sit while you make Norman sit. Try to stop the fight before it begins. You have to show them both the same attention and try to find the triggers that set them off, and stop it before it begins. Sometimes the one you think is starting it, isn't the one after all, it was the other one. It just take time to study their body language to figure that out. I will tag @JeannieCO as she had a similar problem with two of hers and they get along very well now. Also [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] went through something similar with hers too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I think also had some issue. [MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] may be able to add some insight as well

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
David's right in that you have to figure out what the triggers are. For instance, I know that Stig would run after whichever toy Punkin's playing with, so we watch for that and block/stop him with our hand and let him sit and lay down so Punkin will not be disrupted. We also try to distract with him other toys, and that sometimes works. We also often encourage them to play together, like team-building in the workplace.

I'm sure you're already doing so, but when they're alone in the house, it's best that they be separated. We don't need to do that for my guys anymore, but I would with yours. It's a very common practice with members in this forum, to ensure their safety. :yes:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The jealousy is something that i'm familiar with, unfortunately. Lately, what I will do when the boys get at it is same a firm "NO", get up, and leave the room. I've had to do that twice in the last two weeks. Before I would make such a commotion about them fighting and I think that was unhelpful b/c the boys would get my attention and i think any reaction to their fighting was some kind of reinforcement (a negative kind, but at least they got a reaction out of me). I also listen to this pet behaviorist on the radio weekly and he recommends to get the two of your fur kids out in neutral territory together as much as possible so they will get used to focusing on other things besides you and each other, while together. For example, you can take Norman and Phoebe out for a walk together so they're used to being together, but in an environment outside of the house.

And yes, what David and Jamelyn said about looking for the body language and cues to PREVENT a fight from happening is very important too.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
You've got great advise already, the only thing I will add is that I have taught my dogs to take turns ... i.e. if Diesel is in need of my attention I will focus on him if Molly tries to push her way in I tell her "Diesel's Turn" and send her to her bed to wait and once I've given one my undivided attention I will send him or her to their bed and provide the same attention to the other saying "Molly's Turn" ... when I had the 3 bulldogs, that was the only way I could control the jealousy, Madison would try to take over anytime the others were getting attention so to keep the peace I followed the training Victoria Stillwell provided on her show It's Me Or The Dog and made them understand taking turns. It takes time and a lot of patience and above all else consistency but it has helped a lot in my home.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.