Artemis

tcgurlie

Jan 17, 2014
How long till she starts letting me know she's gotta go? She's only 17 weeks, but if I'm not on her constantly, she goes! HELP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
We have two EB. Our oldest just turned 2, and is a male. He took some time on potty training. I sometimes thought he would never get it, but he did in his own time. We recently just got our second EB, and is a female. She just turned 10 weeks and is already telling us when she has to go outside to go potty (don't get me wrong she still has accidents in the house). They came from the same breeder and even the same Mom. We noticed differences in them even on the ride home. Our vet said females tend to be easier to train and more alert. I also want to note that we learned a lot with our first EB. Being consistence is a big key on potty training. With our first EB I only took off three days from work and there were more people living with us. Not everyone handled the potty training the same. With our second EB I was lucky enough to have two weeks off. Hang in there and good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, it all depends on the pup and your training/schedule. My Frenchie is almost 3 yrs old and still does NOT tell us, we have to keep him on a schedule

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Every dog learns at their own pace, just like kids!! Just keep taking her outside and praising her when she goes. You should take her out as soon as she wakes up, right after she eats, and right after she plays. Hang in there, she will get it soon enough!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea is 10 months and she only tells us occasionally. However, she is on a schedule as well and goes out on regular intervals and then anytime anyone goes out back to do anytbing5 she goes out as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
tcgurlie

tcgurlie

Jan 17, 2014
Thanks all:)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, seems others already got you covered, and gave you great advice. I agree schedule and consistency are key to training. A puppy should be able to hold I hour for every month of age, so by 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. Every dog is different. My guys were both trained by 5 months, but they never tell us, they don't bark, although Blossom will whine a little sometimes first thing in the morning, but I think it's more because she's excited to be letboutvof the crate in the morning, and she knows this is breakfast time, she definetely tells me when she's hungry. Lol. We just keep them on the same schedule everyday, they go out at 6:00 am, eat breakfast at around 6:30 am, go out again at 10:00 am or 11:00 am, then out again about 4:00 pm, they eat dinner at 6:30 pm, out again at 10 or 11 pm for their last walk before bed.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
My tells me if I am paying attention but I am not always sure what he's saying :)

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
This was the exact question I was about to post :). Ace doesn't tell us at all. While we have a handful of accidents inside per week, he doesn't let us know. We have to keep/encourage him to go potty outside (this is our command). Does anyone do anything else besides verbal commands? I was thinking of getting those door Bells, saying the command and then getting his paw to move the Bells. The again, he might just use it as a toy, lol.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I thought Shy my deaf girl to scratch the door when she needs potty -it was an easy thing to learn -first i thought her command "pee pee", then before we went put i lifted her paw and scratched door for her showing her thumbs up -and rewarding her she got it within few days

With lilly it was even easier -she could hear us- as soon as we began potty training we always used a command "pee pee" to kind of let Lilly know why we are going outside ;-) once she started responding to "pee pee" i always sat her by the door before we went out and asked in a silly yet cheerful voice "do you want to go pee pee" and waited few seconds before asking again if needed-she usually made something like a bark which was rewarded with a treat and praise and then i let her out for potty -few days and she got it-mastered it within few weeks
I thought them different ways of letting me know they need to go out from a simple reason -Shy could hold longer and Lilly is impatient ,when i help my husband dress himself or bathe him I know which one of the girls could wait few seconds longer

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my Molly will be 5 years old next month and she still doesn't alert me to go outside, if she has to go really bad she will run from door to door because she wants out but that's only when it's a right now situation ... Diesel will make little grumbling sounds if I don't respond he will bark to let me know I gotta go right now mom but he did that on his own I didn't have to teach him ... I guess I just rely on the potty time schedule method :/

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.