Want to get another bulldog, does gender really matter?

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Eventually, within the next year or so I would like to get a second EB for Winston to play with. I was talking to his breeder and she suggested to get a female, because males if not from the same litter tend not to get along. Winston is a year old next month and he could use a play mate and we're already getting the no puppy blues. Have most of you that have multiple bulldogs followed this opposite gender if not from the same litter and same age rule?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I got bull breeds -both girls ,shy is spayed Lilly not and they both get on just fine-odd scraps are normal but overall my girls are best friends x

forgot to add as a general rule opposite sexes should get on well -but this isn't always the case .i would say follow your gut instinct :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have too boys and not from the same litter and they are the best buddies. My older boy LOVES girls so much that he would exhaust himself in days if there'd be a girl in the house. He never showed any signs of aggression towards other males. So in my opinion it depends on the nature of the first bully you have.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I would think a female would be better to bring home. I have heard of mal bullys (or any dog for that matter) try to fight for dominance. But in all reality it is up to the dog.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
it is not always an issue. At one time we had 2 females and 2 males in our clan and they all got along great. However, with Harlea she is a bit picky who she associates with and most of her furry friends are male as she only like to play with females that are bigger than her. Small females for some reason she does not like at all.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
In general they say opposit sexes get along better duke is a year this month and duchess is 2 years this month. They are insuperable. Many people on here have 2 of the same sex that do just fine together. It's all about training and socialization and if the parents have any same sex issues.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Chances are better opposite gender will do better, but as with everything in life, it depends on the dog, their personality and your leadership ability.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have always had 3,4, or 5 dogs at one time-house dogs. In my life, I have only had 2 male dogs.(neutered) They all always got along. Once in a great while, there is a -semi=fight, but I always stop it-and it has nothing to do with gender-usually because they want the same toy!

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
We just got our second EB two weeks ago. Utley is a 2 year old male EB and Bella is a 10 week old female EB. They get along great. They do want play alllllll of the time. Of course one of them always instigates when the other one is content😋. We have never had any issues with Utley getting along with any dogs, male or female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well most of the time a male and a female get along better, but it really comes down to the temperament of the bullies and the training. I have seen some that do not get along with other dogs no matter what you do, and some will get along with any dog.

nadine

Nov 27, 2013
I have one of each brother and sister from same parents but different litters

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.