Boarding/Kenneling/Dying/Crying!

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Ok.... :help::help::help:
I am sorry I haven't been posting much - moving and wedding planning has hijacked my life!

So, on that topic: anyone in Eastern Ontario? Anyone ever boarded their babies? Any good references? I am FREAKING OUT. I refuse to travel or do anything without my babies, and yet here comes this STUPID wedding night (LOL - my poor fiance!) where apparently I have to part with my dogs because I am not allowed to bring them (and honestly, I won't be able to care for them during the wedding, etc). But I am thisclose to basically calling it off unless I can find someone who understands and knows the responsibility and needs of bulldogs.

The ironic tragedy of this whole thing is that anyone I would have even considered giving a 4-month course on Wilbur & Layla's Requirements will be at the "blessed event"!!!

I am stuck, and panicked - has anyone had any luck or ideas for a bulldog-friendly place/person in Eastern Ontario????? [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION], do you know anyone????? xo!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well congrats on the wedding. Have you thought about a pet sitter? Sometimes they will stay at your house, or they can just come by 4 or 5 times a day to feed them and let them do their business, and spend some time with them. We have one here close to us and he is great with the bullies, and he has a niece that will stay at our house sometimes. The bullies like it, because they get to stay home.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Sorry nothing to offer here. Just wanna say congratulations on your upcoming wedding and very best wishes to both of you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]. [MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION]

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
yeah i'm here. I'm not aware of any boarding kennels. Our vet clinic can board up to 6 animals per night, and for months they babysat a bulldog. But no one there stays the night. We left Lola twice, flew my brother up from Ohio for a few days, and asked (paid) a very good friend to stay at our house for the week I had a conference in TX. We're in Toronto. where are you?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Bree, Congratulations on your wedding. I totally know how you feel. My wedding was last April, and we went to Jamaica for a week, and we also had to board our babies. I agree that the best place for them is in their own home, and with people you know and trust taking care of them, then they don't have any change in their routine, but since this isn't possible due to the wedding, you could do as David suggested and have a pet sitter stay at your house with them. If you're not comfortable with having a pet sitter at your house, then some vets do boarding, have you checked with your vet to see if they do boarding? I'm not sure where you live in Ontario, so not sure about dog boarders in your area, but I do know that some EB breeders also do boarding. Do you have any EB breeders in your area? We took our two guys to the Petsmart in Mississauga. All Petsmarts have a grooming service, doggie daycare service, and they also do boarding. We know the groomers at the Petsmart we went to, and they love our dogs, and we trust them. They have private rooms not cages or crates, and each room has a cooleroo bed, you can bring your own dishes, and toys, and they are kept in the private rooms, so no other dogs will use them, you bring your own food, and you fill out forms and answer questions about their likes, dislikes, feeding and bathroom schedule. They are taken out for walks during the day, the rooms are sprayed down and cleaned daily, the facilities are very clean, the private rooms are airconditioned in the summer and temperature controlled, and they are fed on their schedule and they follow the instructions on how you want them fed. They also get to play in the playroom during the day, but we instructed the staff to keep a watchful eye on them to make sure they weren't panting or over tired. We had them do 2 twenty minute play breaks in the playroom, so they wouldn't get overheated, or tired. You can go and visit the Petsmart in your area and see the facilities and ask questions. When I came back, my guys were so happy, they were spoiled, the overnight staff that stays with the pet motel animals had them out with them, and then trainer had worked with them, and taught them some basic instructions.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi Bree, Congratulations on your wedding. I totally know how you feel. My wedding was last April, and we went to Jamaica for a week, and we also had to board our babies. I agree that the best place for them is in their own home, and with people you know and trust taking care of them, then they don't have any change in their routine, but since this isn't possible due to the wedding, you could do as David suggested and have a pet sitter stay at your house with them. If you're not comfortable with having a pet sitter at your house, then some vets do boarding, have you checked with your vet to see if they do boarding? I'm not sure where you live in Ontario, so not sure about dog boarders in your area, but I do know that some EB breeders also do boarding. Do you have any EB breeders in your area? We took our two guys to the Petsmart in Mississauga. All Petsmarts have a grooming service, doggie daycare service, and they also do boarding. We know the groomers at the Petsmart we went to, and they love our dogs, and we trust them. They have private rooms not cages or crates, and each room has a cooleroo bed, you can bring your own dishes, and toys, and they are kept in the private rooms, so no other dogs will use them, you bring your own food, and you fill out forms and answer questions about their likes, dislikes, feeding and bathroom schedule. They are taken out for walks during the day, the rooms are sprayed down and cleaned daily, the facilities are very clean, the private rooms are airconditioned in the summer and temperature controlled, and they are fed on their schedule and they follow the instructions on how you want them fed. They also get to play in the playroom during the day, but we instructed the staff to keep a watchful eye on them to make sure they weren't panting or over tired. We had them do 2 twenty minute play breaks in the playroom, so they wouldn't get overheated, or tired. You can go and visit the Petsmart in your area and see the facilities and ask questions. When I came back, my guys were so happy, they were spoiled, the overnight staff that stays with the pet motel animals had them out with them, and then trainer had worked with them, and taught them some basic instructions.

Hey Monica!!! I remember you got married last year, I was wondering what you ended up doing with your babies. So Petsmart was ok? I am outside of Ottawa, on the way to Montreal (really east, almost QC). I am SO worried.... everyone here knows and understands how regimented and routine-dependent they are (I am looking at them now, on their usual beds, in front of the fire - Ahhhh!!! I am going to be out of my mind no matter where they go/whomever comes to stay with them!)

I will go check out the local petsmart... I just feel like the ones around here aren't as well reviewed as GTA :(

Thank you so much for the info!!!!

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
yeah i'm here. I'm not aware of any boarding kennels. Our vet clinic can board up to 6 animals per night, and for months they babysat a bulldog. But no one there stays the night. We left Lola twice, flew my brother up from Ohio for a few days, and asked (paid) a very good friend to stay at our house for the week I had a conference in TX. We're in Toronto. where are you?

I am far eastern Ontario, on the way to Montreal (near to QC border). No one around here has EBs, or would know what to do with one. I am trying to find a "friend of a friend" who might work out, but I am so freaked. Ugh!!! I refuse to even go on a honeymoon!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am far eastern Ontario, on the way to Montreal (near to QC border). No one around here has EBs, or would know what to do with one. I am trying to find a "friend of a friend" who might work out, but I am so freaked. Ugh!!! I refuse to even go on a honeymoon!

I think [MENTION=3281]BiggieSmalls[/MENTION] is in your area?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Bree, check out the Petsmart in your area, ask all the questions, ask to see the facilities, talk to the staff, maybe let Layla and Wilbur visit the daycare playroom, and see how they do. If you want them to stay at home, where they are more familiar and settled, is there anyone you know that isn't going to your wedding that could sit at your home with them? A trusted friend, or relative? Maybe somebody you know who has a dog that you could trade dog sitting services with, and you could look after their dog one day in return for watching yours. Good luck I hope you find a good place or sitter for them. Either way you're going to worry about them. The only thing I can suggest is to research, ask questions, ask some dog owners in your area who they use when they go away, look up some dog boarders places in your area, and go and visit them, and observe how they are run, you'll get a feel for the place, and of the people, and you'll know which ones don't really feel comfortable or right, and can make a informed decision.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hmm. I'll ask someone in the Ottawa area. Would that be a reasonable distance from you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I live clear in Illinois bur I'll puppysit. I have great references lol. I miss having a bully.Seriously congrats and good luck

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Are there no 'open play' dog lodging places in your area? I find that hard to believe because we have about 8 of them in the greater Salt Lake valley (not what i'd call metropolis). But... Canada.. That's a hole nother kettle of fish, eh (My wife's family is Canadian... they say that all the time :) ).

My dogs have always LOVED spending time at 'free play' dog boarding places.. Who wouldn't want to spend all day running around with a huge pack of dogs... laying around on couches (the one we normally go to has lots of furniture for the dogs to lounge on).. sniffing new dog-butts every day. It's always a little sad to come back and find out they didn't miss you :).

A few tips:

1. 'Free Play' or 'Open Play' places are better then being in a Kennel all day.
  2. See if they offer larger Kennels that will hold both/all of your babies (if they like to sleep in the same area)
  3. Find a place that the dogs have to pass a 'Personality Test' before they can stay. This way you know all the other dogs have been screened.
  4. Inspect the facilities. Are they clean? What do the dogs have to play with (inside & outside). How is it fenced. What area is it in? (safe?)
  5. Talk to the staff. Make sure you like them.
  6. Have they worked with EB's before?
  7. Do they have web cams?
  8. Can you bring your own food (99.9% of places let you do this).
  9. Look at online reviews of the place!
  10. Have your dogs do a few 'Day Care' sessions before you leave them over night.
  11. Remember: Your going to miss you dogs more then they miss you!!

Finally.. I would recommend sending your babies away for a weekend BEFORE your wedding. The first time you are away from them your going to FREAK out. DO THIS BEFORE YOUR WEDDING! That way you can actually enjoy yourself the 2nd time you are away from them :)

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Congrats on your nuptials ! Sorry you are having a hard time with this I hope it all works out so you can enjoy your honeymoon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Great suggestion [MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] ! I'll add a few things..

This falls into #6 above. Be sure staff knows to, or are willing to dry your bullies face after play. And, if your bullie isn't really active now, to monitor playtime, so he doesn't get too tired or overheated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions