Boarding/Kenneling/Dying/Crying!

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
I'm more in favor of pet sitting (in your home) rather than boarding. As a long-time pet sitter (not any more), I promise you that pet sitters love their work and the animals they work with. Most of them will go above and beyond whatever the official agreements says. I once made an entire extra round to visit every house after a bad summer storm to make sure everyone's AC was still on, that there were no broken windows or anything, and that all the pets were okay. I mostly worked independently, but also with an agency for a while. Sometimes people would call and want every other day cat visits, but we didn't like to do that because we wanted to check on them every day, even if the auto-feeder was going to make sure they didn't starve.

I took care of lots of different breeds and some of my colleagues were vet techs. People gave us all kinds of detailed, sometimes crazy instructions about taking care of their pets. We worked with lots of rescue dogs with food issues, separation anxiety, injuries, you name it.

Lots of experienced independent pet sitters advertise on Care dot com and Sittercity. There is a Canadian version of Care; not sure about Sittercity. Also, look at Yelp for reviews of pet sitting companies. Start calling around and interview some people. If a person or company tells you they have a certain thing they do and aren't flexible about it, move on. A good pet sitter will say "Here's what we typically do, but every pet is different, so tell us what you need." The list above is a good place to start. Expect that for the basic overnight fee you'll get about 12-14 hours of in-home care (roughly 6pm or 7pm to about 8am). If you want someone to come mid-day, expect that will be additional. Most pet sitters do this at a discount from a regular mid-day visit, if it's an add-on to an overnight. Also, they should be willing to give you regular updates while you're away (assuming you're out of town, not just overnight somewhere). I used to send text messages, email photos, all kinds of stuff.

You'll find someone that you love, I'm sure of it!

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Are there no 'open play' dog lodging places in your area? I find that hard to believe because we have about 8 of them in the greater Salt Lake valley (not what i'd call metropolis). But... Canada.. That's a hole nother kettle of fish, eh (My wife's family is Canadian... they say that all the time :) ).

My dogs have always LOVED spending time at 'free play' dog boarding places.. Who wouldn't want to spend all day running around with a huge pack of dogs... laying around on couches (the one we normally go to has lots of furniture for the dogs to lounge on).. sniffing new dog-butts every day. It's always a little sad to come back and find out they didn't miss you :).

A few tips:

1. 'Free Play' or 'Open Play' places are better then being in a Kennel all day.
  2. See if they offer larger Kennels that will hold both/all of your babies (if they like to sleep in the same area)
  3. Find a place that the dogs have to pass a 'Personality Test' before they can stay. This way you know all the other dogs have been screened.
  4. Inspect the facilities. Are they clean? What do the dogs have to play with (inside & outside). How is it fenced. What area is it in? (safe?)
  5. Talk to the staff. Make sure you like them.
  6. Have they worked with EB's before?
  7. Do they have web cams?
  8. Can you bring your own food (99.9% of places let you do this).
  9. Look at online reviews of the place!
  10. Have your dogs do a few 'Day Care' sessions before you leave them over night.
  11. Remember: Your going to miss you dogs more then they miss you!!

Finally.. I would recommend sending your babies away for a weekend BEFORE your wedding. The first time you are away from them your going to FREAK out. DO THIS BEFORE YOUR WEDDING! That way you can actually enjoy yourself the 2nd time you are away from them :)

I totally agree with you! We have had Seamus for a year and a half and have never boarded him as of yet. My husband is making me find a good reliable place around our house in the off chance we need to board him. We found a place that has doggie day care during the day and then they kennel up at night. Plus they have a 2 hour nap time in the middle of the day. This is great for Seamus since he really does sleep a lot and needs to relax and not play 24/7. The naps in the middle of the day allow him the get some shut eye and then at night he is kenneled up just like at home. The boarding facility makes sure all dogs are screened prior to being allowed to go to both day care and boarding. They have web cams and great reviews. I am still super nervous about leaving him with anybody other than friends and family but at least we have the option if need be!

BiggieSmalls

Sep 20, 2011
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie Smalls, Jack, Chubby, Doris, Molly, Jackie, Cloé, Maya, Mathilda, Becky
I'd help you out but I have puppies at the moment. I cannot board any dogs. So sorry.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.