I really don't know how to deal with this..could someone please give me some advice

Heroesvoice

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I am a 57 year old man and I spend every waking minute with my Bully. His name is Buddy I've had him since he was 3 months old. He turns 8 in September. I'm worried about myself when that day comes as I don't know what I will do when it happens. This is not normal behavior for me as I'm usually very strong in every other area of my life except when it comes to Buddy. My question is to all you folks. Should I think about getting another bulldog puppy now because I heard that it makes the transition much easier when you have another dog to care for when the other dog passes. Is it true that the elder bulliy could actually live longer if there's a younger dog around? Buddy doesn't mind other dogs, he doesn't really go out of his way to make friends with other dogs. Whenever there's another dog visiting he's always a gentleman around the other dog. I'm afraid that if I do get another puppy he will resent me for bringing another dog into our lives and will not be happy. But then again I believe if you have the know how and the patience you can make anything work. I realize there isn't any right answer to this because every case is different. I just would like to hear your experiences and stories because I am afraid that I won't be able to handle it when Buddy goes. I know this might sound stupid, but I'm very worried about not having him in my life anymore. Thank You.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It's a tough call. If you have the means and ability to dedicate the time required to tend to the needs of both the new pup and Buddies needs go for it. Just remember to be patient and give love to both equally. If not then I would hold off. As far as an older pup living longer with the addition of a young pup I cannot say but in my experience it could be possible as my boxer was 13 when he passed last year and had younger pup to play with all day.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Does buddy have the energy to put up with a puppy who will want to play with him constantly? If he does, than thats great. You can also adopt a younger bulldog from a rescue. It would be out of the puppy stage and possibly less stressful for Buddy. Good luck with whatever you decide. Buddy is a lucky dog to have such a faithful and thoughtful dad.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Your story is heartbreaking to me on so many levels… I have lost 3 bullies in one year. First of all I have to say that bullies are a very different type of dog, they are very attuned to their owners… and their owners needs. It's hard to put into words the relationship that we have w/these dogs… and that's what makes it so difficult when we have to say good-bye. I'm a huge believer in living in the moment, and it makes me sad that you are worrying about the inevitable… every single day has it's own gifts. But w/that being said… we do tend to think about the future.

No matter what you decide to do you will NEVER be able to replace your Buddy. When our Bella died we had her puppy Winston w/us at that time… but he wasn't Bella. He was a completely different dog, and your new puppy will be different too. I believe that it is a distraction from the numbing sadness, but in a good way… because now you get to start over once again. You are a lot stronger than you think, so many people think they will never get over a death of a beloved baby… but they do.

If I were you I would take time to think about it… a puppy is always a wonderful addition to the family. Buddy may be jealous, but he may enjoy the excitement of having a new friend to play with. But you can't replace your Buddy...

I have to say that the family here on EBN have been w/me every step of the way in my losses this last year… I do NOT know what I would have done w/out them helping me thru my grief & sadness. You will always have the love & support of other bully members on this site to help you when you need it!!!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I just lost one of my bulldogs in December and I will admit that having Diesel & Molly kept me in the here and now even though I was so sad and lost at losing Madison ... no matter what you will have to go through the grieving process but focus on the time you have together now and don't look so much into the future at when you won't be together ... I say spend every single day loving him the way he loves you, don't look ahead and focus on the losing part ... I've heard people say its "missing the forest for the tree" or something like that.

Puppies are great, rescuing is even greater but giving all you have to Buddy each day will keep you both happy and content ... though I'm one of those people that believe in having multiple bulldogs (one bulldog is never enough) I would have a whole herd if I could :yes: but my best advise is this ... look into your heart and go with what you feel, if you feel it's in Buddy's best interest to get him a friend then go for it but if it's just to help ease the pain of losing Buddy down the road, I can honestly say it doesn't change that pain of losing a beloved family member.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I can totally relate to your story, it makes me cry:*( I've been thinking a lot about it and after finding a special text called "A dogs last wish" I decided when the time comes I'll find an unwanted bulldog and give it all the love it should have gotten from the start.

I have 3 bulldogs, 1 pug and 3 x-breeds so it's pretty busy but I cannot imagine my life without a bulldog. The 3 x-breeds ended up with us by chance, two of them were on death row in a shelter and the third one was taken from a bad home. One of the Bulldogs, Joey, is also a rescue and she's so special:heart: Since I have so many dogs already I wouldn't get a puppy, but your situation is different. I sometimes feel bad when the younger dogs annoy Joey, she's almost 7 years old, but I can also see that she enjoys playing with them and she acts very much like their mother, she cleans them and corrects them when they're naughty.

I'd ultimately do what would be best for Buddy:)

Here's the text I talked about:hug:

a dogs last will.jpg

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION], this is beautiful...brought tears to my eyes. All 3 of our bully puppies, while not shelter dogs, have been "rescued" from people who thought they wanted a bulldog, but within several months circumstances changed. Each of our bullies have been different and each has given us many years of joy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
@Petra, this is beautiful...brought tears to my eyes. All 3 of our bully puppies, while not shelter dogs, have been "rescued" from people who thought they wanted a bulldog, but within several months circumstances changed. Each of our bullies have been different and each has given us many years of joy.

Rescue dogs is the best breed:) If it wasn't for you they would have probably ended up in a shelter in the end, so you sure did rescue them:heart:

KishiD

Feb 8, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Some wonderful words of love and wisdom from others here. I love this community and the support we offer each other. I'd be lost without it.

Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you will make the right one for your whole family xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This thread has me in tears..... I can honestly say, when I lost my boy, Nitschke, if it were not for Banks in the home, I would have been in a worse place than I was, it really helped me having Banks to hug and spend time with Along with all the support from the family here at EBN, having another dog in the home kept me moving and focusing forward, but never, ever will I not have a place in my heart for my sweet Nitschke, he is in my heart and thoughts every single day.

I think it is good to get another, but based on Buddy determine if you can get an older Bulldog via rescue or would a puppy be best. My girl, Banks, if we were to get another dog.. it would HAVE to be a puppy as she is very dominate and would not accept an adult. Think about his personality while at home, not away from the home...

best of luck in your decision

OP
H

Heroesvoice

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thank You sooo much. Your words and advice make me feel better. I will keep up with this forum as I believe you so wholeheartedly. Sincerely Mark Silvia

OP
H

Heroesvoice

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thank You for taking the time to think about what you would do if you were in my shoes. I have the utmost love and respect for people who care as much as you do. Sincerely Mark Silvia

OP
H

Heroesvoice

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi Buddy does have the energy and I believe I can make it work. Thank You so much for responding. Mark Silvia

OP
H

Heroesvoice

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello Thank You so much for taking the time to respond to my post. As bulldog owners we all share the good times and the bad. I am looking forward to having this forum to come to. Your words and advice means so much to me. Thank You

Mark Silvia

OP
H

Heroesvoice

May 9, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello from San Francisco..My oh my you're so far away. I just want you to know that I loved your response to my posting. When I read "a dogs last wish" I could barely get through it because my eyes was so filled with tears I could hardly read it.
You said a lot of very touching things to me and I want to thank you so much for this. Since my post I have looked further into acquiring another bullie. And it looks like I am getting ready to meet a 5 year old male whose dad has to find another home for him because he cannot take him with him. So I will meet him next week but I'm worried about not knowing if Buddy will be comfortable around him. I don't think I'll be able to tell right away. I think its gonna take more than a couple of hours to see if its going to work out. And yet I can't expect the other owner to let me have a live in trial period for a week. Maybe it'll be love at first sight for the both of them. That's what I am hoping for. But realistically I think Buddy will ignore him because that's how he is with a lot of dogs.
Thank You again. I'll keep you posted.

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online