OP
M

miketoo2

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
none
Thanks for all the commments/advice. Its nice to know that there is a Hall of Fame. Its just been hard and with this breed I know nothing is a garuantee. I was on other Bullie boards/forums that prevent people from asking for Breeder referrals and that sort of surprised me too. Trying to do my due diligence.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I purchased one of my dogs from a very "reputable" breeder, who has shown bulldogs for over 20 years, and who was listed as a recommended breeder by the bulldog club I was refereed to by the AKC. Both the US and State bulldog clubs showed this person as a "recommended breeder". I paid A LOT of money for my girl assuming, like you, that this champion breeder would be breeding for the betterment of the breed and as a matter of reputation would certainly never sell me an unhealthy pup. The dog has a ton of issues including luxating patellas, inverted tail that will probably have to be removed, and allergies so severe that she cannot really go outside without breaking out into hives. I should of had a clue when I saw the mom who hardly had any hair (a champion, mind you) and allowed the breeder to let me believe that it all fell out after she had the pups and was growing back....LOL
Of course when I brought all this up several months after the purchase, the breeder denies any knowledge that the pup had issues. I was offered to return the dog, but thats a great trick they play. Who would return a puppy that they have fallen in love with over several months without knowing what it's fate would be?? Anyway, in the 5 months that I have had her, I already spent $2K on her skin issues alone.

What I learned from the experience and used it to purchase my second, very healthy, bulldog from another breeder is this:
Educate yourself about all the problems that could plague poorly bred bulldogs and other signs of potential problems in a pup and make sure you see the puppy in person before you buy it. Do not buy over the internet.

For my second bulldog, I looked at his tail and made sure it was not inverted. I looked at his skin and made sure there were no breakouts or hair loss. I looked at his eyes and made sure the conjunctive tissue was not red and that the eyelids did not roll in or out. I looked at his nares to make sure they were not too tight. Opened his mouth and looked at his pallet to make sure it did not look elongated. I even checked his knees for luxation. I checked the ears for swelling and yeast. I learned that certain "rare" colors carry hereditary health issues. I learned all of this from internet research plus more that I am forgetting.

In my opinion, this is the best thing you can do when looking to buy a pup. Don't just count on the breeders ribbons. That's my two cents. Hope it helps!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I purchased one of my dogs from a very "reputable" breeder, who has shown bulldogs for over 20 years, and who was listed as a recommended breeder by the bulldog club I was refereed to by the AKC. Both the US and State bulldog clubs showed this person as a "recommended breeder". I paid A LOT of money for my girl assuming, like you, that this champion breeder would be breeding for the betterment of the breed and as a matter of reputation would certainly never sell me an unhealthy pup. The dog has a ton of issues including luxating patellas, inverted tail that will probably have to be removed, and allergies so severe that she cannot really go outside without breaking out into hives. I should of had a clue when I saw the mom who hardly had any hair (a champion, mind you) and allowed the breeder to let me believe that it all fell out after she had the pups and was growing back....LOL
Of course when I brought all this up several months after the purchase, the breeder denies any knowledge that the pup had issues. I was offered to return the dog, but thats a great trick they play. Who would return a puppy that they have fallen in love with over several months without knowing what it's fate would be?? Anyway, in the 5 months that I have had her, I already spent $2K on her skin issues alone.

What I learned from the experience and used it to purchase my second, very healthy, bulldog from another breeder is this:
Educate yourself about all the problems that could plague poorly bred bulldogs and other signs of potential problems in a pup and make sure you see the puppy in person before you buy it. Do not buy over the internet.

For my second bulldog, I looked at his tail and made sure it was not inverted. I looked at his skin and made sure there were no breakouts or hair loss. I looked at his eyes and made sure the conjunctive tissue was not red and that the eyelids did not roll in or out. I looked at his nares to make sure they were not too tight. Opened his mouth and looked at his pallet to make sure it did not look elongated. I even checked his knees for luxation. I checked the ears for swelling and yeast. I learned that certain "rare" colors carry hereditary health issues. I learned all of this from internet research plus more that I am forgetting.

In my opinion, this is the best thing you can do when looking to buy a pup. Don't just count on the breeders ribbons. That's my two cents. Hope it helps!

It is so unfortunate you have had these issues. These issues can be a directly related to the fact that show breeders line breed which brings out the best and worst quality in a dog. It's so hard to buy a dog. And the "health" guarantee most provide isn't worth squat because in the event of an issue they require you return the pup and they replace it. Anybody with a heart won't return a pup because they have already become attached.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
It is so unfortunate you have had these issues. These issues can be a directly related to the fact that show breeders line breed which brings out the best and worst quality in a dog. It's so hard to buy a dog. And the "health" guarantee most provide isn't worth squat because in the event of an issue they require you return the pup and they replace it. Anybody with a heart won't return a pup because they have already become attached.

Yes, you are absolutely right, and it is very unfortunate. I also learned that most show breeders rarely sell any true show quality pups to anyone but associates or else keep them to show and breed. There was no way we were ever going to return her. We love Lola so much and she is a member of our family and we have dedicated ourselves to caring for her forever, no matter what. What would the breeder do with a pup that was returned due to health issues? I shudder to think.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
what a great thread... great exchange of info!

Good luck in your search Mike!

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Since I myself just got my first Bully I will share how I settled. First off be very careful if you are getting a dog that some is going to fly to you. When I was looking I found this "great deal" I went to their webpage they had all these testimonials from people (YA RIGHT) lucky I am smart and did some investigating. Now their are legit people out there and people like I ran across mess it up for them. And then there are the people selling the 500 dollar dogs run like the wind. You should expect to pay 1500 up I so anyhow I found someone local. I asked our vet for our Jacks and he recommended a lady. So I called her and right away I felt good because she said it would be best if I came over and talked. I felt good because she invited me over to ask all the questions I had and to look at her dogs she had and the mom and dad of the next liter. And even after that I came back 4 more times before I decided she was the one. I checked others out she never pushed me she never said I need to make up my mind. She told me I was welcome to come by anytime and I did not have to call first. She had nothing to hide. So I felt real good and I think Rambo is a fantastic dog. And yes she told me about all the things that can happen and I can call her anytime. So with all that said take your time and ask around.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I actually bought Ace online through puppyfind. Thing is, in my area, there are so many shady people that are money hungry. I visited one, he had no health guarantee and said : "if something goes wrong with his health, I might help you"...umm, how about no! I also live close to Mexico border so there is a lot of paper work fraud, believe it or not. Anyways, I found a breeder from Kansas. I asked her to send me videos with her putting the date and my name next to the pup to make sure the pups were on site. She gave me her vets info, and 3 past clients. I spoke to the vets staff and they turned out legit. I spoke to a previous buyer, that turned out buying a 2nd pup from her. I continued to ask questions for about 2 weeks. She answered/returned all my calls and texts, so I felt secure with my purchase. I even have her on my FB now :). It's always a risk! So far, so good with Ace...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.