Thinking of getting EB. Have a question

miketoo2

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
none
I am researching EB alot lately and have decided it is something I want to persue. I have read alot of health issues and bad breeders and have spent months researching. My question is if Show dogs or Show qualities means a heathier bulldog? I know alot goes into the health of the bulldog, but all other things equal is a Show dog more healthy? It seems like show dogs are larger and might have more joint issues? THoughs?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
It's great you are doing as much research as possible before finding the right EB for you. I don't know much about showing dogs but I tagged a member who has experience in this. Good luck to you!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't have any information on show dogs, but I will tag some member who do…

:welcome2: to EBN!!! And I hope that you get you new puppy real soon...

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
No it absolutely does not. Show ebs are beautiful and some are healthy but when showing you breed for a look they don't have a vet judge health. There are some health disqualifiers when showing but not many. Also the closer to the breed standard you get the more pallet and breathing issues bullies are prone to.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying show dogs are unhealthy but there are no more or less so than a non show quality eb. There are certifications show dogs get but a good breeder typically has the same exams done on their dogs
It's about the quality of the breeder you use and what their priorities are. Any breeder that tells you none of their dogs ever had any health issue is probably full of crap. You want a breeder who is going to be honest about the issues any of their dogs has had and also one that will tell you what they have done to try to correct this in their pups

OP
M

miketoo2

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
none
Thanks for the replies. I figured as much but wanted everyones thoughts. I see alot of ads/sites that seem legit and then they say they are in the Bulldog Breeder Hall of Fame and I start to wonder. Google reveals nothing about a Hall of Fame. I sometimes want to ask them if they were a First ballot Hall of Famer? Sorry, baseball joke.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the replies. I figured as much but wanted everyones thoughts. I see alot of ads/sites that seem legit and then they say they are in the Bulldog Breeder Hall of Fame and I start to wonder. Google reveals nothing about a Hall of Fame. I sometimes want to ask them if they were a First ballot Hall of Famer? Sorry, baseball joke.

HAHA!! Yes, I think they are legends in their own minds! :welcome: to EBN!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm glad you are doing your research. Not all show dogs are that healthy, even though most of them are. You need to find a breeder who breeds to better the breed and most show breeders do this. You can have the best pedigree in the world, and still have a pup with health problems. Look for a breeder that spends the time answering your questions, who will show you their kennel, and most importantly one who cares for their pups and will want them back if something ever happened to were you could not take care of them for what ever reason. They should interview you as well, because most reputable breeders are careful where their pups go, and just don't sell for the money. Ask them to give you references, people who have their bullies and see what they think about them and the breeder. You can also find good breeders on the BCA's website. Take your time and if it feels right then it probably is. If something doesn't feel right then walk away. Good luck with your search.

keystnlabs

Dec 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agatha Gump
This is a good thread. Thanks all for the information.

014.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Davidh took the words right out of my mouth. Even the breeders who breed show dogs, so to say, don't have all their pups show quality. Even the best pedigree dogs can have pups that are not show quality or even healthy. If you're told all their pups have been healthy, run. If they don't ask anything of you, run. Stay away from pet shops and brokers that sell pups from different breeders. Even if you find the best breeder and get the healthiest and most beautiful pup, it still can get sick and have health problems. It's always a risk you take with life.

OP
M

miketoo2

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
none
They are not making any claims that ALL their puppies are healthy. Just hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Mike -

I know where you're coming from. Honestly I went for looks when getting Baxter. And I have had issues with his bone structure and other things. But for the most part he is an extremely vibrant, active, running and jumping bully while all the others at the meetups tend to look like they are struggling to even walk and breathe. I am honestly not sure how you would accurately determine how dedicated a breeder is to breeding only her healthiest pups (with the best hip joints and breathing ability), etc. Maybe if their website mentions that they focus on health and longevity in their lines, that would be a plus, because others just wont bother saying things like that.

I would honestly feel safest with people who post here that are breeders. I know Desertskybulldogs is a breeder, and I am sure she can give you references. Yes - thats probably the best method. Start here with people who clearly care about the safety and health of their lines, then ask for references. I think you'll eventually have a few you can pick from that are known for caring about more than just good looking pups.

-B-

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Davidh has given very good advice, please heed what he recommended and follow through with them. If the breeder is reticent about you visiting their yard then move on, if they are hesitant to give references of past buyers, move on. If you talk with them or meet them in person you will be able to tell if they are true bully lovers and have the best interest of their dogs and pups first

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I researched for years before I got my baby. The best piece of advice I can give you is to ask lots of questions. I lost count of how many breeders I went through before I found one that I was comfortable with that answered all of my questions open and honestly and provided me not only with previous customer references but personal and vet references as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would also recommend that you ask who their veterinarian is.When I was interested in pups, I have spoken personally to the breeder's vets.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess

A hall of fame breeder means that that breeder has bred a certain number of akc champions. It definitely is a real title and a great acomplishment! A lot of show breeders tend to line breed as to get the bulldog look this has pros and cons as it brings out the best and worst traits in the dog. Find a breeder that has owned and bred at least 2 generations of the line and that they can prove no hip,knee, breathing or eye issues from this two generations. A good breeder will have no problem with this. Good luck take your time and please don't settle for a backyard breeder at a bargain basement price you will pay later in heartache and vet bills.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.