elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Bert is looking good. Not the teeny tiny little fella' any more!

You remembered! Haha. Cant believe that he is now 18kgs (he's now 7 mos) from the 1.5kgs when we got him 5mos ago. He sure eats a lot!!! I really find ot weird that he loves vegetables and fruits more than meat and dog food. :D

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
My simple solution is raw food, it makes the world of difference. I brush them almost weekly and wash their paws when dirty, but otherwise bath 2-3 times a year (if not in contact with dirty cars). I'm sure some of you don't believe that they don't smell and feel dirty, but remember that we do go to shows at least once a month and they need to be clean and shiny for that. They get a lot of praise for their coats.
Healthy dogs are really self-cleaning and skin oils are essential in that process. They moisturise the skin and give the coat a nice shine, keeping warmth in and water out. If you wash it away that process doesn't work and you end up with skin problems and maybe start washing even more making it even worse. Bulldogs and other breeds that have wrinkles need to have those cleaned more often, but they're not wrinkly all over the body.

Im not sure as to why the vet told us not to feed him.beef or chicken. Should we feed him like raw pork and stuff? Dont they gey worms when they eat raw food?

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hey [MENTION=9990]elairiffic[/MENTION], how's Bert doing?
I agree with the others, maybe that is a little too much bathing - I understand if he is hot and humid, maybe just do a rinse instead of using shampoo every time? For his folds - I know too what you mean. Red, raw and "hairless". So: for diet, I feed hypoallergenic hydrolyzed prescription food. Here is Canada it is only through the vet. I learned that my guys are allergic to all protein and starch. They can't have any animal products, so their food is actually a hydrolyzed soy protein.
They are almost 3, and this has made a world of difference. However, they still get some issues in their folds. I clean them 2 or 3 times a week, with a mild germicide (like malacetic, diluted). I dry and sometimes follow with "panalog", this is prescription topical steroid. It is important to minimize the use of steroids as much as possible, even topical ones. But, this keeps the major redness and hair loss under control. Maybe see your vet, and ask about possibilities. *I am not a vet, and I don't know your specific issues, but this is just what seems to work for me. good luck!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nothing to add but.... Wow he is getting big and is so handsome

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Beautiful baby! I wash the dogs twice a week and never have a problem. When I first noticed Leo had redness and some bleeding in his folds ( he is more "foldy" than Lola and I wasn't used to it) I cleaned and dried it well and started putting "Boudreasux's Butt Paste" diaper ointment in the folds after the bath. Never had the problem again.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
I sure wish there was a like button here since I don't have a lot to add.

We've never bathed our bullies excessively and the bathed them only when smelly/yeasty. Now that Charley sleeps on our bed with a white duvet, I can see how dirty he really is. I was about to start bathing him weekly, but now I'm rethinking that. Because he is starting to get yeasty and is losing hair around his neck, the vet wants us to bathe him twice a week for awhile with virbac episoothe shampoo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Im not sure as to why the vet told us not to feed him.beef or chicken. Should we feed him like raw pork and stuff? Dont they gey worms when they eat raw food?

Vets are very rarely experts on feeding. There is no reason to avoid beef or chicken if he doesn't react badly to them. Raw feeding is not just feeding a type of meat raw, you need to feed other things too. You can google dogaware raw food or check it up from this site.

Your boy's tear stains are not that bad and Desitin will get rid of the redness. It's for diaper rash and gentle enough.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Maybe 2 baths a week is too much, since I got Elmo at 3mo. he is now almost 8 months I have bathed him 2 times. Your Bully is just too Cute, He is Precious. Susan Moore

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
LOL mine is already 10 months old and he had only gotten a shower once. It would be so easy to feed raw in our country. you have ready available access to the yummy parts like brains, eyeballs, genitals... you know parts that we humans find inedible but very yummy for the kids ( for that i meant furkids). I personally wouldn't feed pork in our country, as meat is not really strictly regulated there unless maybe you buy in big grocery stores like SM, but the rest would be fine...i guess lol. If you have any questions about how to start raw feeding PM me. An angel here also helped me started on raw. would love to do the same.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.