Irritation on Bert's facial folds

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
I just noticed that the folds on Bert's face are becoming redder. We asked the vet about it but she was unable to give a prescription drug for it. Its not noticeable when near but when you look at him from afar, you will see two red lines. We give him a bath 2x a week and wash his face with a warm towel atleast 2x a day. The irritation seems painful because he will try tonbite if we clean it during a bath or a sponge bath. Any cream you know that could help? I saw on some posts that it yeast infection but bert's folds doesnt have any foul smell at all. Its just really red and looks like there is less hair.

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Screenshot_2014-02-24-14-02-04-1.jpg

]Screenshot_2014-02-24-14-02-19-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20140201_102941-1.jpg
    20140201_102941-1.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 159

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Could it be to many baths? Or maybe the shampoo you are using? I clean Rambo with the tucks they have witch hazel in them. I got the knock off brand for 3 bucks I use them on his tail to. Someone here turned me on to them and they work great.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Ps. What a good looking boy you have.

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Could it be to many baths? Or maybe the shampoo you are using? I clean Rambo with the tucks they have witch hazel in them. I got the knock off brand for 3 bucks I use them on his tail to. Someone here turned me on to them and they work great.

Thanks a lot! So the brand would be the brand? Ill try and see if they have it here hehe. Your rambo and my bert looks the same! How old is he btw??? Very cuuute! How often do you bathe him? Is the brand tucks?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Bert is looking good. Not the teeny tiny little fella' any more!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace's got that way too and still will if I don't manage it closely. I have always cleaned every day but it seems sometimes it can spring up overnight. One vet told me just to use peroxide when it gets to the point where it is nearly raw. I think it gets worse during the seasons that are bad with enviromental allergies. So on occasions when it gets raw I will put some peroxide on a cotton ball or paper towel and wipe it out and then another clean dry paper towel to dry it really well. When its fine I just use a damp cloth or paper towel and wipe with a clean dry one. Also I have used bag balm after I clean and dry and sometimes desitin. One of the vets prescribed some prednisone when I mentioned the redness and even the wrinkles on his forehead looked red in color. The vet said it was allergies and gave the prednisone and in a couple of days it was clear but I would prefer not to use it unless necessary.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Good advice ! I was and still have problems even though I clean them every nite and while the witch hazel and tucks dry fast I have found that if I use a dry towel after it is better .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Is there a reason why you bathe him twice a week? You can be cleaning him too much. Desitin is also good for raw skin, but not every day.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I just noticed that the folds on Bert's face are becoming redder. We asked the vet about it but she was unable to give a prescription drug for it. Its not noticeable when near but when you look at him from afar, you will see two red lines. We give him a bath 2x a week and wash his face with a warm towel atleast 2x a day. The irritation seems painful because he will try tonbite if we clean it during a bath or a sponge bath. Any cream you know that could help? I saw on some posts that it yeast infection but bert's folds doesnt have any foul smell at all. Its just really red and looks like there is less hair.

Wowza that's a whole lot of baths and face washing ... does he get dirty playing outside or something? I give a weekly bath and daily face washing for my two, and use the Witch Hazel Pads for the daily face cleaning, it keeps their folds clean and dry.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Wowza that's a whole lot of baths and face washing ... does he get dirty playing outside or something? I give a weekly bath and daily face washing for my two, and use the Witch Hazel Pads for the daily face cleaning, it keeps their folds clean and dry.

In my opinion weekly baths are still a whole lot. My boys get washed 2-3 times a year. Their wrinkles are wiped 2-3 times a week. Last time they both were bathed was at the start of december last year and Usko got an extra bath cause the silly boy rubbed himself against a dirty car. They're both silky smooth and don't smell at all. Luckily they don't like rolling in the mud.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
In my opinion weekly baths are still a whole lot. My boys get washed 2-3 times a year. Their wrinkles are wiped 2-3 times a week. Last time they both were bathed was at the start of december last year and Usko got an extra bath cause the silly boy rubbed himself against a dirty car. They're both silky smooth and don't smell at all. Luckily they don't like rolling in the mud.

I wish Harlea didn't like to play in the mud. If there is mud or a puddle of water around she is going to roll around and play in it. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava

What do you use to keep them silky smooth and fresh smelling? My babies would love to go longer between baths!! Message to RiiSi from Diesel & Molly: for our sake, please give mommy the inside scoop :pray:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
What do you use to keep them silky smooth and fresh smelling? My babies would love to go longer between baths!! Message to RiiSi from Diesel & Molly: for our sake, please give mommy the inside scoop :pray:

My simple solution is raw food, it makes the world of difference. I brush them almost weekly and wash their paws when dirty, but otherwise bath 2-3 times a year (if not in contact with dirty cars). I'm sure some of you don't believe that they don't smell and feel dirty, but remember that we do go to shows at least once a month and they need to be clean and shiny for that. They get a lot of praise for their coats.
Healthy dogs are really self-cleaning and skin oils are essential in that process. They moisturise the skin and give the coat a nice shine, keeping warmth in and water out. If you wash it away that process doesn't work and you end up with skin problems and maybe start washing even more making it even worse. Bulldogs and other breeds that have wrinkles need to have those cleaned more often, but they're not wrinkly all over the body.

OP
elairiffic

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
Hey guys!!! He really loves to play outside so most of the time when we go for a walk he will lie down in the middle of the road or ground. Is it too much? We live in the phils and the weather is humid so we wre thinking that bathing him 2x a week would be good.he seems to really love taking baths so lets just go ahaed and reduce the bathing. Sorry guys i would need to ask you again the brand and the name of the product of the cures you use. I jist want to make sure ill biu the right one.we dont have much options here

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online