Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Irritation on Bert's facial folds

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    In my opinion weekly baths are still a whole lot. My boys get washed 2-3 times a year. Their wrinkles are wiped 2-3 times a week. Last time they both were bathed was at the start of december last year and Usko got an extra bath cause the silly boy rubbed himself against a dirty car. They're both silky smooth and don't smell at all. Luckily they don't like rolling in the mud.
    What do you use to keep them silky smooth and fresh smelling? My babies would love to go longer between baths!! Message to RiiSi from Diesel & Molly: for our sake, please give mommy the inside scoop
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    What do you use to keep them silky smooth and fresh smelling? My babies would love to go longer between baths!! Message to RiiSi from Diesel & Molly: for our sake, please give mommy the inside scoop
    My simple solution is raw food, it makes the world of difference. I brush them almost weekly and wash their paws when dirty, but otherwise bath 2-3 times a year (if not in contact with dirty cars). I'm sure some of you don't believe that they don't smell and feel dirty, but remember that we do go to shows at least once a month and they need to be clean and shiny for that. They get a lot of praise for their coats.
    Healthy dogs are really self-cleaning and skin oils are essential in that process. They moisturise the skin and give the coat a nice shine, keeping warmth in and water out. If you wash it away that process doesn't work and you end up with skin problems and maybe start washing even more making it even worse. Bulldogs and other breeds that have wrinkles need to have those cleaned more often, but they're not wrinkly all over the body.

Real Name
    Ellaine
    Country
    Philippines
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bert
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys!!! He really loves to play outside so most of the time when we go for a walk he will lie down in the middle of the road or ground. Is it too much? We live in the phils and the weather is humid so we wre thinking that bathing him 2x a week would be good.he seems to really love taking baths so lets just go ahaed and reduce the bathing. Sorry guys i would need to ask you again the brand and the name of the product of the cures you use. I jist want to make sure ill biu the right one.we dont have much options here
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.

Real Name
    Ellaine
    Country
    Philippines
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bert
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Bert is looking good. Not the teeny tiny little fella' any more!
    You remembered! Haha. Cant believe that he is now 18kgs (he's now 7 mos) from the 1.5kgs when we got him 5mos ago. He sure eats a lot!!! I really find ot weird that he loves vegetables and fruits more than meat and dog food.

Real Name
    Ellaine
    Country
    Philippines
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bert
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    My simple solution is raw food, it makes the world of difference. I brush them almost weekly and wash their paws when dirty, but otherwise bath 2-3 times a year (if not in contact with dirty cars). I'm sure some of you don't believe that they don't smell and feel dirty, but remember that we do go to shows at least once a month and they need to be clean and shiny for that. They get a lot of praise for their coats.
    Healthy dogs are really self-cleaning and skin oils are essential in that process. They moisturise the skin and give the coat a nice shine, keeping warmth in and water out. If you wash it away that process doesn't work and you end up with skin problems and maybe start washing even more making it even worse. Bulldogs and other breeds that have wrinkles need to have those cleaned more often, but they're not wrinkly all over the body.
    Im not sure as to why the vet told us not to feed him.beef or chicken. Should we feed him like raw pork and stuff? Dont they gey worms when they eat raw food?

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Hey @elairiffic, how's Bert doing?
    I agree with the others, maybe that is a little too much bathing - I understand if he is hot and humid, maybe just do a rinse instead of using shampoo every time? For his folds - I know too what you mean. Red, raw and "hairless". So: for diet, I feed hypoallergenic hydrolyzed prescription food. Here is Canada it is only through the vet. I learned that my guys are allergic to all protein and starch. They can't have any animal products, so their food is actually a hydrolyzed soy protein.
    They are almost 3, and this has made a world of difference. However, they still get some issues in their folds. I clean them 2 or 3 times a week, with a mild germicide (like malacetic, diluted). I dry and sometimes follow with "panalog", this is prescription topical steroid. It is important to minimize the use of steroids as much as possible, even topical ones. But, this keeps the major redness and hair loss under control. Maybe see your vet, and ask about possibilities. *I am not a vet, and I don't know your specific issues, but this is just what seems to work for me. good luck!!!!
    My whole world

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Nothing to add but.... Wow he is getting big and is so handsome
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

Beautiful baby! I wash the dogs twice a week and never have a problem. When I first noticed Leo had redness and some bleeding in his folds ( he is more "foldy" than Lola and I wasn't used to it) I cleaned and dried it well and started putting "Boudreasux's Butt Paste" diaper ointment in the folds after the bath. Never had the problem again.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

I sure wish there was a like button here since I don't have a lot to add.

We've never bathed our bullies excessively and the bathed them only when smelly/yeasty. Now that Charley sleeps on our bed with a white duvet, I can see how dirty he really is. I was about to start bathing him weekly, but now I'm rethinking that. Because he is starting to get yeasty and is losing hair around his neck, the vet wants us to bathe him twice a week for awhile with virbac episoothe shampoo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My guess would be that it is a food allergy.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by elairiffic View Post
    Im not sure as to why the vet told us not to feed him.beef or chicken. Should we feed him like raw pork and stuff? Dont they gey worms when they eat raw food?
    Vets are very rarely experts on feeding. There is no reason to avoid beef or chicken if he doesn't react badly to them. Raw feeding is not just feeding a type of meat raw, you need to feed other things too. You can google dogaware raw food or check it up from this site.

Your boy's tear stains are not that bad and Desitin will get rid of the redness. It's for diaper rash and gentle enough.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Maybe 2 baths a week is too much, since I got Elmo at 3mo. he is now almost 8 months I have bathed him 2 times. Your Bully is just too Cute, He is Precious. Susan Moore

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads