Rabies

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
So what do you guys think about getting the Rabies shot? I been wondering because I do not have to get Rambo a shot unless we move to the city. And chances of him getting them is slim. Is it something I should get just in case or is it just a waste of cash?

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, this is a new debate as to whether or not a rabies shot is needed every year or not. Many beleive that once the puppy has had their puppy series of vaccinations that they are immune and don't require a yearly booster. Some beleive that we over vaccinate our dogs, and that rabies can be given every three years instead, and some new guide lines are even suggesting 7 to 20 years for immunity. Many beleive that the rabies shot causes illness, and in some cases sarcomas at the injection site. You want to make sure that your puppy is protected from preventable illnesses and diseases, even though they may not be exposed or at risk from them. You mentioned that you don't require to have the rabies shot unless you move to the city, but without protection, he still could contract rabies from a wild animal, like a squirrel, raccoon, rabbit, etc, or he could get bit by another dog, and if it's a stray dog, you won't know the history of the dog, so your dog may be at risk of contracting it through the saliva of an infected animal. I would feel terrible if my dog got sick from something that was preventable with a vaccine. Whether they need it every year is something I also struggle with, because I've read that every 3 years is sufficient and that they build up an immunity. I don't like to over medicate or vaccinate either. My cat is an indoor cat, and has never been outside, but she got all her kitten series of vaccinations, and I did have her vaccinated for rabies, because of the dogs, and also in case she were to escape outside by accident. Also because the rabies is one vaccination that is required by law, and that you will receive a fine for if they are not administered. Vets will also push these vaccines because they cost them pennies for the serums, but they charge high prices to administer them.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Here in South Africa Rabies shots are for free and required by law. If you take your pet to the vet and it doesn't have the shot they will give it and that's it. But none of them have ever had more than one rabies shot... I'm not sure if it's cos it's not needed:unsure: In the town we live in they organize one day where anyone can come and get their dogs vaccinated for free at the municipality parking lot.

I'm not a fan of the rabies shot as I know it can effect their brain:( but to weigh the risk of them getting rabies against the risk of them getting effected by the shot... it's difficult:unsure: All mine was well after the shot, no difference in behavior or anything:) I don't think I'll ask for the vet to update their rabies shots unless he asks me when they last had one and tells me it's needed...

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I suggest doing a titer test if you really want to be sure if your dog really needs the booster or not (or he hasn't had the rabies vaccine yet?)

OP
satch1151

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Thanks for the replies and something does stand out and I did not think of. We live in the country with a lot of other animals. And I think about this. The stray cats I see have giant rats in there mouth and that alone is reason enough.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
The biggest problem is that you cannot get him licensed without proof of rabies vaccination. It is the ONLY vaccination required, and as far as I know, every state has licensing laws in force. ( fines can be hefty for failure to comply) . The other thing is that the rabies virus can live for a short time off the host, so if a rabid raccoon gets into your yard and leaves saliva on anything, the risk is there for infection. The more rural the area you live in, the higher the chances of a rabid animal on your property. My dog( not Bogey) encountered a rabid possum( he killed it and the animal control officer had it tested). Fortunately, he was vaccinated, but he had to be confined to home for a week. I wouldn't take the chance.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=10584]satch1151[/MENTION]

According to the AVMA, in Georgia, it's up to each county's health board to determine whether or not to administer the rabies vaccines.
In Kansas and Missouri, it's not required at all.

If you live outside of the above states, you're required to vaccinate against rabies. It's the law.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I get them as we do have instances of rabies in the local wildlife occasionally. Rabies has no cure in animals and only a small widow of time to cure it in humans . Bats raccoons squirrels all can carry rabies. Also if your dog is not utd on vaccines and ever bit anyone even on accident without the rabies vaccine they will be taken from you and put in quarantine in what is usually a local shelter for up to 8 weeks. With very few reactions happening with this vaccine I say protect your dog and get it when the vet says.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I live in TN, and rabies is common in raccoons, possums, etc.

If your dog is around other animals I would HIGHLY suggest getting it.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Yes i agree with everybody else. I got my pup the vaccine last week. I would suggest getting it only because you just never know. The dog could potentially get out at any given time and once the dog is outside and running free who knows what they will encounter. And also you do live in the country you said? That is a HUGE thing to consider. Only because there is wild animals, a lot more than you would find in a city. And you did mention stray cats? So yes, I would heavily consider the shot just to be on the safe side. Good luck in your decision though! :yes:

B

Baxter Tiberius

I will never give Baxter a rabies shot. Firstly because of the risks associated with it. Secondly because he's never going to be wandering around the woods with a bunch of rabid racoons at night. On the *extremely remote* chance he is ever bit by some strange forest animal, there is a 100% chance i will be within 10 feet of him, and can simply go get him the antibiotics he needs. We're talking lightening striking twice for that scenario. As a result, zero risk. Zero reason to pump poison into him.

I have met two english bulldog owners in the last week who were walking their 13 year old English Bulldogs. I asked them their secret, and both said: We avoided all the unnecessary vaccinating after puppy age, especially Rabies, and we didn't give him pesticides (flea and tick meds) on a monthly basis because he is an indoor dog.

Just my two cents.

-B-

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I live in NC, Vets here say Rabies shot should be given every 3 years, so that is what I do, All my dogs get their rabies shot every 3 years. Susan Moore

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I will never give Baxter a rabies shot. Firstly because of the risks associated with it. Secondly because he's never going to be wandering around the woods with a bunch of rabid racoons at night. On the *extremely remote* chance he is ever bit by some strange forest animal, there is a 100% chance i will be within 10 feet of him, and can simply go get him the antibiotics he needs. We're talking lightening striking twice for that scenario. As a result, zero risk. Zero reason to pump poison into him.

I have met two english bulldog owners in the last week who were walking their 13 year old English Bulldogs. I asked them their secret, and both said: We avoided all the unnecessary vaccinating after puppy age, especially Rabies, and we didn't give him pesticides (flea and tick meds) on a monthly basis because he is an indoor dog.

Just my two cents.

-B-
Rabies is a virus and there IS NO TREATMENT period. Antibiotics won't work if your dog gets rabies it dies. End of story
While I understand the concern about reactions but the incidence of reaction in rabies vaccines is low. Almost every licensed dog in the us gets them. If there was a huge danger with the vaccine there would be a public outcry. Sometimes I think people get too caught up in the many many what ifs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rabies is the only one required for us by law so no choice, but I still would get it for them regardless. We have wooded area with wild animals (raccoons, squirrels, deer, bats, owls, etc) behind our home, so to me it is not an option

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
I'm on the fence with this one. Our Dually is 3 1/2 years old and we have never given him the rabies shot. He's had so many health issues already: cherry eye surgery in both eyes, elongated soft palate surgery twice, pneumonia, TPLO surgery on his left knee and now needs same surgery on his right knee :(. I'm actually scared to give him the rabies shot in case he reacts to it I've read somewhere that it could cause problems in their brain including brain cancer :(. Rabies shots are not mandatory where I live and my vet said slim to none chance of Dually ever contracting it considering where we live, his lifestyle, he is an indoor dog, we do walk him when the weather is nice, we don't take him to dog parks as they are dirty and the dogs that we do interact with have their rabies shots. Just don't know about this one :nope:.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.