Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabies

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

Default Rabies

So what do you guys think about getting the Rabies shot? I been wondering because I do not have to get Rambo a shot unless we move to the city. And chances of him getting them is slim. Is it something I should get just in case or is it just a waste of cash?

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rabies

Hi, this is a new debate as to whether or not a rabies shot is needed every year or not. Many beleive that once the puppy has had their puppy series of vaccinations that they are immune and don't require a yearly booster. Some beleive that we over vaccinate our dogs, and that rabies can be given every three years instead, and some new guide lines are even suggesting 7 to 20 years for immunity. Many beleive that the rabies shot causes illness, and in some cases sarcomas at the injection site. You want to make sure that your puppy is protected from preventable illnesses and diseases, even though they may not be exposed or at risk from them. You mentioned that you don't require to have the rabies shot unless you move to the city, but without protection, he still could contract rabies from a wild animal, like a squirrel, raccoon, rabbit, etc, or he could get bit by another dog, and if it's a stray dog, you won't know the history of the dog, so your dog may be at risk of contracting it through the saliva of an infected animal. I would feel terrible if my dog got sick from something that was preventable with a vaccine. Whether they need it every year is something I also struggle with, because I've read that every 3 years is sufficient and that they build up an immunity. I don't like to over medicate or vaccinate either. My cat is an indoor cat, and has never been outside, but she got all her kitten series of vaccinations, and I did have her vaccinated for rabies, because of the dogs, and also in case she were to escape outside by accident. Also because the rabies is one vaccination that is required by law, and that you will receive a fine for if they are not administered. Vets will also push these vaccines because they cost them pennies for the serums, but they charge high prices to administer them.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Here in South Africa Rabies shots are for free and required by law. If you take your pet to the vet and it doesn't have the shot they will give it and that's it. But none of them have ever had more than one rabies shot... I'm not sure if it's cos it's not needed In the town we live in they organize one day where anyone can come and get their dogs vaccinated for free at the municipality parking lot.

I'm not a fan of the rabies shot as I know it can effect their brain but to weigh the risk of them getting rabies against the risk of them getting effected by the shot... it's difficult All mine was well after the shot, no difference in behavior or anything I don't think I'll ask for the vet to update their rabies shots unless he asks me when they last had one and tells me it's needed...
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

I suggest doing a titer test if you really want to be sure if your dog really needs the booster or not (or he hasn't had the rabies vaccine yet?)

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies and something does stand out and I did not think of. We live in the country with a lot of other animals. And I think about this. The stray cats I see have giant rats in there mouth and that alone is reason enough.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

The biggest problem is that you cannot get him licensed without proof of rabies vaccination. It is the ONLY vaccination required, and as far as I know, every state has licensing laws in force. ( fines can be hefty for failure to comply) . The other thing is that the rabies virus can live for a short time off the host, so if a rabid raccoon gets into your yard and leaves saliva on anything, the risk is there for infection. The more rural the area you live in, the higher the chances of a rabid animal on your property. My dog( not Bogey) encountered a rabid possum( he killed it and the animal control officer had it tested). Fortunately, he was vaccinated, but he had to be confined to home for a week. I wouldn't take the chance.
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@satch1151

According to the AVMA, in Georgia, it's up to each county's health board to determine whether or not to administer the rabies vaccines.
    In Kansas and Missouri, it's not required at all.

If you live outside of the above states, you're required to vaccinate against rabies. It's the law.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

I get them as we do have instances of rabies in the local wildlife occasionally. Rabies has no cure in animals and only a small widow of time to cure it in humans . Bats raccoons squirrels all can carry rabies. Also if your dog is not utd on vaccines and ever bit anyone even on accident without the rabies vaccine they will be taken from you and put in quarantine in what is usually a local shelter for up to 8 weeks. With very few reactions happening with this vaccine I say protect your dog and get it when the vet says.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I live in TN, and rabies is common in raccoons, possums, etc.

If your dog is around other animals I would HIGHLY suggest getting it.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

Yes i agree with everybody else. I got my pup the vaccine last week. I would suggest getting it only because you just never know. The dog could potentially get out at any given time and once the dog is outside and running free who knows what they will encounter. And also you do live in the country you said? That is a HUGE thing to consider. Only because there is wild animals, a lot more than you would find in a city. And you did mention stray cats? So yes, I would heavily consider the shot just to be on the safe side. Good luck in your decision though!

Baxter Tiberius

I will never give Baxter a rabies shot. Firstly because of the risks associated with it. Secondly because he's never going to be wandering around the woods with a bunch of rabid racoons at night. On the *extremely remote* chance he is ever bit by some strange forest animal, there is a 100% chance i will be within 10 feet of him, and can simply go get him the antibiotics he needs. We're talking lightening striking twice for that scenario. As a result, zero risk. Zero reason to pump poison into him.

I have met two english bulldog owners in the last week who were walking their 13 year old English Bulldogs. I asked them their secret, and both said: We avoided all the unnecessary vaccinating after puppy age, especially Rabies, and we didn't give him pesticides (flea and tick meds) on a monthly basis because he is an indoor dog.

Just my two cents.

-B-

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

I live in NC, Vets here say Rabies shot should be given every 3 years, so that is what I do, All my dogs get their rabies shot every 3 years. Susan Moore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads