Rabies

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
In CA, current rabies vaccine is required my law. It is also required to obtain a license for the dog which all dog owners must have. Maybe all states are different, but my biggest thing that if in the small chance that the dog bites somebody, not having a rabies vaccine is a good way to have your dog taken away and quarantined or even killed to test the brain. I agree however that we tend to over vaccinate. I don't know how it works if you test the dog for the vaccine antibodies though.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I'm on the fence with this one. Our Dually is 3 1/2 years old and we have never given him the rabies shot. He's had so many health issues already: cherry eye surgery in both eyes, elongated soft palate surgery twice, pneumonia, TPLO surgery on his left knee and now needs same surgery on his right knee :(. I'm actually scared to give him the rabies shot in case he reacts to it I've read somewhere that it could cause problems in their brain including brain cancer :(. Rabies shots are not mandatory where I live and my vet said slim to none chance of Dually ever contracting it considering where we live, his lifestyle, he is an indoor dog, we do walk him when the weather is nice, we don't take him to dog parks as they are dirty and the dogs that we do interact with have their rabies shots. Just don't know about this one :nope:.

Mome of these unfortunate issue your bully has dealt with are remotely related to a potential vaccine complication. Unless he has also had extreme skin, allergy , and auto immune issue I would say rabies is importan. FYI lepto is the vaccine that a lot of dogs react to. I also have heard that some dogs react to the 3 year rabies but hardly any dogs react to the yearly rabies. I'm all for not vaccinating if you get titers dome to show he has proper antibody however rabies is nasty and you never know when something infected might come in contact with your dog.

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
Mome of these unfortunate issue your bully has dealt with are remotely related to a potential vaccine complication. Unless he has also had extreme skin, allergy , and auto immune issue I would say rabies is importan. FYI lepto is the vaccine that a lot of dogs react to. I also have heard that some dogs react to the 3 year rabies but hardly any dogs react to the yearly rabies. I'm all for not vaccinating if you get titers dome to show he has proper antibody however rabies is nasty and you never know when something infected might come in contact with your dog.

Oh yes Dually has allergies as well on top of everything else... I think we are finally getting those under control though. I was just thinking everything he's been through already knowing our luck if we gave him the rabies shot he'd have a reaction to it. Something we are definitely thinking about.

Members online

No members online now.