I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rabies

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    I will never give Baxter a rabies shot. Firstly because of the risks associated with it. Secondly because he's never going to be wandering around the woods with a bunch of rabid racoons at night. On the *extremely remote* chance he is ever bit by some strange forest animal, there is a 100% chance i will be within 10 feet of him, and can simply go get him the antibiotics he needs. We're talking lightening striking twice for that scenario. As a result, zero risk. Zero reason to pump poison into him.

I have met two english bulldog owners in the last week who were walking their 13 year old English Bulldogs. I asked them their secret, and both said: We avoided all the unnecessary vaccinating after puppy age, especially Rabies, and we didn't give him pesticides (flea and tick meds) on a monthly basis because he is an indoor dog.

Just my two cents.

-B-
    Rabies is a virus and there IS NO TREATMENT period. Antibiotics won't work if your dog gets rabies it dies. End of story
    While I understand the concern about reactions but the incidence of reaction in rabies vaccines is low. Almost every licensed dog in the us gets them. If there was a huge danger with the vaccine there would be a public outcry. Sometimes I think people get too caught up in the many many what ifs.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Rabies is the only one required for us by law so no choice, but I still would get it for them regardless. We have wooded area with wild animals (raccoons, squirrels, deer, bats, owls, etc) behind our home, so to me it is not an option
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Marlene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dually
    Likes (Received)

I'm on the fence with this one. Our Dually is 3 1/2 years old and we have never given him the rabies shot. He's had so many health issues already: cherry eye surgery in both eyes, elongated soft palate surgery twice, pneumonia, TPLO surgery on his left knee and now needs same surgery on his right knee . I'm actually scared to give him the rabies shot in case he reacts to it I've read somewhere that it could cause problems in their brain including brain cancer . Rabies shots are not mandatory where I live and my vet said slim to none chance of Dually ever contracting it considering where we live, his lifestyle, he is an indoor dog, we do walk him when the weather is nice, we don't take him to dog parks as they are dirty and the dogs that we do interact with have their rabies shots. Just don't know about this one .

~ Nothing compares to a bulldogs love ~

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

In CA, current rabies vaccine is required my law. It is also required to obtain a license for the dog which all dog owners must have. Maybe all states are different, but my biggest thing that if in the small chance that the dog bites somebody, not having a rabies vaccine is a good way to have your dog taken away and quarantined or even killed to test the brain. I agree however that we tend to over vaccinate. I don't know how it works if you test the dog for the vaccine antibodies though.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MarleneK View Post
    I'm on the fence with this one. Our Dually is 3 1/2 years old and we have never given him the rabies shot. He's had so many health issues already: cherry eye surgery in both eyes, elongated soft palate surgery twice, pneumonia, TPLO surgery on his left knee and now needs same surgery on his right knee . I'm actually scared to give him the rabies shot in case he reacts to it I've read somewhere that it could cause problems in their brain including brain cancer . Rabies shots are not mandatory where I live and my vet said slim to none chance of Dually ever contracting it considering where we live, his lifestyle, he is an indoor dog, we do walk him when the weather is nice, we don't take him to dog parks as they are dirty and the dogs that we do interact with have their rabies shots. Just don't know about this one .

Mome of these unfortunate issue your bully has dealt with are remotely related to a potential vaccine complication. Unless he has also had extreme skin, allergy , and auto immune issue I would say rabies is importan. FYI lepto is the vaccine that a lot of dogs react to. I also have heard that some dogs react to the 3 year rabies but hardly any dogs react to the yearly rabies. I'm all for not vaccinating if you get titers dome to show he has proper antibody however rabies is nasty and you never know when something infected might come in contact with your dog.

Real Name
    Marlene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dually
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    Mome of these unfortunate issue your bully has dealt with are remotely related to a potential vaccine complication. Unless he has also had extreme skin, allergy , and auto immune issue I would say rabies is importan. FYI lepto is the vaccine that a lot of dogs react to. I also have heard that some dogs react to the 3 year rabies but hardly any dogs react to the yearly rabies. I'm all for not vaccinating if you get titers dome to show he has proper antibody however rabies is nasty and you never know when something infected might come in contact with your dog.
    Oh yes Dually has allergies as well on top of everything else... I think we are finally getting those under control though. I was just thinking everything he's been through already knowing our luck if we gave him the rabies shot he'd have a reaction to it. Something we are definitely thinking about.

~ Nothing compares to a bulldogs love ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads