Tender skin?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I gave Henry, now 5 mo old, a bath this morning with the help of me daughter. She noticed his skin on his back, shoulder blade area, was red. I didn't think much as I've seen this once before but thought the hubby had raked the furminator a little too hard. I prefer the rubber brushes so I just put that crazy thing away and didn't worry. I had used the Kong brush on his back and thought maybe it was just the soap or water or rubbing, whatever. He was fine. We got him out of the bath, dried him good as possible with towels and then I gave him a few squirts with the smell good spray and rubbed him down good with another dry towel. Next thing I know those red spots that were just fine were bleeding! I tried not to panic and just let them be. So hard for a meddler like me. Anyone have any advice? Is his skin just super soft and sensitive? He usually likes his scrub down with the rubber brushes. I've not been feeling so good so I did try to hurry it along. Maybe I just got too rough? Any suggestions would much be appreciated.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He may be allergic to the shampoo or the smell good spray, I would try a different shampoo and not use the spray and see if that works. He is so cute!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I agree with Phil, perhaps try another shampoo, one that is for more sensitive skin. If he has a wound then i'd want to keep that area clean and dry. You can use some diluted chlorhexidine which is an antibacterial and just be extra gentle whenever you brush him.

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks. I feel just terrible. I thought maybe I should change shampoo. I like to just wash him with a wash rag instead of using the rubber brush in the tub but since I've not been feeling the best I haven't been able to brush him and he's shedding a lot. Thought I'd just multi task. I won't do that again. I use the spray often and don't think it's that but it seems as though the shampoo may be the problem. I wasn't sure as he doesn't get a bath but every couple weeks. I'll try something new. Anyone have a suggestion? I like the no tears gentle types. I'm new at being a dog mommy and don't want to hurt my little Henry's eyes.
Already second guessing the spray too. Time to start over. Oh I swear I wasn't this nervous with my human babies

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I will try the chlorhexidine also. I didn't know what was safe so I didn't bother it. Almost put aloe on it since I use it on the birds but didn't.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
@Roseann, do you think his skin may be too dry? washing every 2 weeks may be too often for him and can cause his coat to dry out which may be contributing to the problem. I bathe mine (or get them bathed every two months or so). You can also rub some coconut oil on his coat.

and btw, you are a great bully mom, otherwise you wouldn't be worrying so much like 99.9 percent of us here!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's what I was going to ask, maybe he is being bathed to much and could have dry skin. he's still very young. I think you're absolutely right that the wash rag baths are best for him until this clears up. We use Bio-Groom Oatmeal shampoo that we got off Amazon. It doesn't have any soap in it at all and keeps Buster fur very soft, we also have the Kong Zoom Groom brush that cuts down a lot on the shedding. Henny is right on when she says you are a good bully mom!!!

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So, I took Henry to the vet to get fixed and they just called to tell me he did great and that he has a minor skin infection. Giving me antibiotics and said use milder soap. Sound right to everyone? I'm so confused! They did a skin scrape to check for any other causes and it was negative.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It does sound right, the meds will help clear it up. That's wonderful news that he had a successful fix!!! He'll be so happy to see you! :D

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
My Bodie has major allergies and skin issues, so as per vet recommendation, he gets a bath once a week w/medicated shampoo. So I take him to a wonderful groomer in Jacksonville, NC, Fido's Pet Boutique, Stephanie is the owner and she's wonderful! For my 45lb bully I pay $22 and that includes ears, nails trimmed and filed, anal glands, and ALL the extra creams and ointments that Bodies wrinkles and folds, and sores require.
However, there was once when he had an allergic reaction to a shampoo and basically, as soon as 1 drop hit his skin, his skin turned bright red and his lips turned purple! He never had any bleeding on his skin though. You might want to try some kind of shampoo that contains oatmeal, which is mild and soothing. You did say that the product you were using didn't contain soap, so it shouldn't have dried out his skin too much.
Definitely try to stay on top of it though, keep a watch on the spots and his itchiness, if any. I say this because when Bodie was a puppy he got demodectic mange, which are microscopic mites that get in the skin and the hair follicles and push out the fur and are very itchy. And it's not an easy thing to get rid of. I think it took around 6 months before he was mite free, that 6mos of medicine that's somewhat expensive. And if a puppy gets demodex, there's a chance they can contract it again at anytime in their life.
I hope your baby is just a simple case of a sensitivity to the shampoo and nothing else! Keep us all posted! Good Luck!!

BullyLove!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So, I took Henry to the vet to get fixed and they just called to tell me he did great and that he has a minor skin infection. Giving me antibiotics and said use milder soap. Sound right to everyone? I'm so confused! They did a skin scrape to check for any other causes and it was negative.

sounds good.... no baths for a moth or so, see if it helps. too frequent bathing strips the natural oils from the fur/skin. My guys get an actual bath, maybe twice a year

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online