Microchips- ???? PLEASE HELP

paigeh79

Mar 1, 2014
Hi. I am a proud new mommy that needs some help- I have been researching whether our not to have my puppy microchipped. Obviously if anything were to happen I would want every tool available to reunite me with my baby but I have been reading that they can have very negative long-term effects. The percentage of microchipped dogs that are actually reunited with owners is still only around 50% & while that's better then the 20% that aren't chipped, at what risk? I have read many of your stories about EBD & their allergies and wonder if my puppy could already be considered "high-risk" at having complications. I really Am "on the fence" & could use some advice. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

OP
paigeh79

paigeh79

Mar 1, 2014
Microchip????

Hi. I am a proud new mommy that needs some help- I have been researching whether our not to have my puppy microchipped. Obviously if anything were to happen I would want every tool available to reunite me with my baby but I have been reading that they can have very negative long-term effects. The percentage of microchipped dogs that are actually reunited with owners is still only around 50% & while that's better then the 20% that aren't chipped, at what risk? I have read many of your stories about EBD & their allergies and wonder if my puppy could already be considered "high-risk" at having complications. I really Am "on the fence" & could use some advice. Thank you!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster is chipped. The way I look at it is that I want every chance to get him back should anything ever happen. God forbid.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: Microchip????

Hi, I haven't heard of any ill effects or complications of the microchip, my two guys came from the breeder with the microchip already in place, so we didn't have to have that surgery. If I had to do the surgery I would of had it placed at the same time as their spay/neuter surgery, to reduce the risk of going under anesthetic twice. I think it's a good idea to have our pets microchipped, as the chances of them being reunited with their family is better.

OP
paigeh79

paigeh79

Mar 1, 2014
So no one has had any issues with infections or allergic reactions? How old should he be?

OP
paigeh79

paigeh79

Mar 1, 2014

Thank you

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22

We had Harlea chipped at 12 weeks and it took all of about 3 seconds and she didn't have any problems at all. No surgery just a large injection to place the chip between the shoulder blades.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs are microchipped. None have ever had a reaction. I have personally microchipped at least 75 donkeys myself, and never had any problem with them, either. I guess it is possible to have a reaction-but it is just put under the skin between shoulder blades,on a dog. It is very simple. Alcohol, sterile needle. But, everyone makes their own choices. If it worries you too much, then don't do it. It can be done at any age-but I'd say the younger they are, the easier it is!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
As I posted in your other thread we had ours done at 12 weeks with no issues. Many breeders send their pups to their new home already chipped.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we got Lola at 11 weeks, she was already microchipped by the breeder. no complications.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sharon, our two guys were microchipped by the breeder when we bought them, so we didn't have to do it, but I would have had them microchipped at the same time as I spayed/ neutered our guys, so they wouldn't need to be under anesthetic twice. I feel the same as others that I would want the best chances of them being returned to me, in the event God forbid they got lost or stolen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online