Wtf i think my dog got electrocuted! :( :( :(

elairiffic

Oct 1, 2013
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bert
I dont know what happened because i was at work but my mom told me that she was doing the laundry when she heard bert cried and saw that he was chewed on the wire of the refrigerator. She immediately kicked the wire out of berts mouth.. We are trying to contact the vet but was unable to do so coz here in the philippines they are not open 24/7. We noticed that his body is shaking and he keeps walking around the house drinking water.his lips also has some burns on the side. We try to feed him and he eats a bit.Is this something we should panic abt. Our bert is just 7mos old :(

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
There must be an emergency 24h vet it doesn't have to be your regular one i would take him just in case-it is something that would really worry me
Here are listings for emergency vets in Philippines http://www.vetworld.com/vetworld/philippines.html

This info is from another website

The most obvious sign of an electrical injury is burns in or around your dog's mouth. If either the whiskers or the hair surrounding the mouth are singed, this can be an indication that your dog has been burned at some point. The majority of serious symtoms are related to your dog's breathing, shortness of breath being the most common. Non-respiratory indicators are rapid heart rate (tachycardia), muscle tremors, seizures, and physical collapse.Some of the most common signs of serious electrical injury are:

Coughing
Abnormally fast breathing (tachypnea)
Needing to be upright to breathe properly (orthopnea)
Crackling sounds in the lungs (rales)
Difficulty breathing (dyspnea)
Bluish-tinged skin (cyanosis)

The symptoms listed above can be due to an electrical cord injury, but there are other possibilities as well. Issues in the heart, such as an irregular heart rate, could be due to an existing heart disease. Electrocardiogram (ECG, or EKG) recording can be used to examine the electrical currents in the heart muscles, and may reveal any abnormalities in cardiac electrical conduction (which underlies the heart’s ability to contract/beat). This will enable your veterinarian to confirm or rule out heart disease. Heart problems can also occur if your dog has ingested rodent poison. The poison used to kill rodents contains anticoagulants which block the production of vitamin K -- necessary for the clotting agents found in the blood to work normally. This possibility can be ruled out through blood coagulation testing.

Generally with electrical cord injuries the lungs are filled with a pink, foamy fluid. There are often tan or gray wounds in the mouth, and areas with red spots inside the heart lining.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Burt, I agree with Pati, he should be checked out by the vet to make sure he's okay. I'm don't have any experience with electrocution, especially in a dog, but it could cause problems with his heart, like it mentions in Pati's article, and since dogs can't tell us what they're feeling, I would be worried, and have the vet check him out. I hope he is okay.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Poor baby. I hope he is ok. I agree with others that he shoupd be checked out as soon as you can.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone on this one… you need to have Burt checked out by a vet ASAP!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Omg how terrifying, I hope you can get to the vet soon! Poor baby, I hope he's not in too much pain but we know burns hurt like ****. Do you have any plain yellow mustard you can put on the burns by his mouth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Ellaine, please take Bert to the emergency vet ASAP!! I hope you have one you can go to. Tate was 10 wks old when he chewed on an electrical cord and was electrocuted. He had fluid in his lungs, was on oxygen for two nights, and I thought i was going to lose him. I don't want to scare you but i just want to relay to you how important it is that Bert gets medical care now. In Tate's case, he was unconscious so i'm thinking with Bert, perhaps the fact that he's walking is a more positive sign. In any case, he needs medical attention ASAP. Please update us soon on how he's doing.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Wow, yes I agree you should probably see a Vet. I think the dog should be okay being it survived the initial shock but if the dog is still acting strange or showing signs of distress you need a Vet

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Oh how scary for you and your baby and yes I agree with everyone get that baby to the vet ASAP .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
watch him closely and get to a vet as soon as you can. Poor boy, I hope he is OK.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
More than likely he burned the inside of his mouth. He may be in too much pain to eat.....and drinking water my feel good to him. Definitely get him checked out. Being electrocuted could have killed him....he's feeling the after effects of it and he needs to be checked out as soon as possible. Please keep us updated!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
How is Bert? Did you get him to the Vet? Sometimes I have heard of taking dogs to a human emergency hospital. Please get him to the Vet. Let us know how he is doing? Susan Moore

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.