EB breathing issues

SirJoseph

Feb 16, 2014
Northern Nevada
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Joseph AKA JOE
So...about 2am this morning JOE is snoring away like usual and then the 'snore' doesn't stop there is no break for air and I could tell by the sounds he wasn't breathing or able to take in air even though he was trying...I got him on his feet, opened up his mouth and his tongue seemed to be kind of blocking his airway...after repositioning his tongue and jostling him around a bit he started breathing normally without any trouble. Sometimes I do not know what to expect from this little critter. Unsettling to say the least.

Anyone else experienced this sort of thing before?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Gosh I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how scary that would be… Some bullies have sleep apnea, or issues w/elongated pallets. I'm not familiar w/these issues so I'm going to tag a few members that hopefully can advise you. Keep us posted on how he is doing!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Sorry to hear this. I hope it was a one time thing.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So...about 2am this morning JOE is snoring away like usual and then the 'snore' doesn't stop there is no break for air and I could tell by the sounds he wasn't breathing or able to take in air even though he was trying...I got him on his feet, opened up his mouth and his tongue seemed to be kind of blocking his airway...after repositioning his tongue and jostling him around a bit he started breathing normally without any trouble. Sometimes I do not know what to expect from this little critter. Unsettling to say the least.

Anyone else experienced this sort of thing before?

There are procedures like Soft Palate reduction, widening of the nares, and removal of the saccules that help with their breathing issues. We had the palate reduced and removed his everted saccules. Many here have done it. I think it's worth speaking with your vet about it.

OP
SirJoseph

SirJoseph

Feb 16, 2014
Northern Nevada
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Joseph AKA JOE
He seems to be doing fine now and this was the first time this happened...Was kind of scary. I'll call the vet and see what they say. He is currently flipping his bed around looking for something and jamming around the house - haha... Funniest dog ever I think. I am kind of nervous about leaving him alone though...

Thx for the tips and have a great day! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He seems to be doing fine now and this was the first time this happened...Was kind of scary. I'll call the vet and see what they say. He is currently flipping his bed around looking for something and jamming around the house - haha... Funniest dog ever I think. I am kind of nervous about leaving him alone though...

Thx for the tips and have a great day! :)

How old is Joe? he is around 4 / 5 months right? Does sound like palate or apnea issue.... I've been threw it twice -- let us know what the vet says

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
agreed, Lola's sleep apnea is so much better now that she's had palate reduction (nares and saccules too). She still has an occasional interruption in her breathing at night, but its far better than it used to be, and a gentle nudge gets her to breathe again. Lola now sleeps upside down alot more (on her back now) than she used to…maybe the reduction in palate tissue affords her more comfortable sleeping positions -- like now she can breathe better on her back.

Theres not a good way to determine whether your bully has an elongated palate issue but if you search on the forum, alot of symptoms can point to it. A vet will need to mildly sedate or anesthetize, but if all fingers point to it, its likely a surgeon will feel comfortable scheduling the surgery and dealing with it while he's under. Its best to wait until the bully is 2 years of age to perform the surgery because they are still growing and you dont want to have it done twice, but in some severe circumstances you can get it done while neuter/spay surgery. Becareful not to let your bully overheat with an elongated palate, its so very hard to get them to calm down. This is how we first realized Lola needed to have it done. Her tongue turned blue and that was it. terrifying.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Oh how scary I hope he checks out well !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.