ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yeah tell me about it... he found a zipper on one of his old beds and was constantly unzipping it when no one was around.. He is a very sneaky pup. But on the other note my wife is bringing him out in a few and we are going to the vet. I'll keep you all posted. thanks for the responses. This is our first bulldog and I kinda knew what to expect but my wife is flipping out over it haha

Absolutely any time… that is what we are here for!!! ;) Let us know how it goes at the vets...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Mitch, I am thinking that Bentley may have swallowed something you don't know about. Diarrhea is usually the first sign of an obstruction, then vomiting, and drooling water from the mouth. These symptoms usually happen first, and they can also become lethargic, but not always. They can have these symptoms and still eat, drink, and play like normal. I have a male EB named Dozer and he has a habit of swallowing sweat socks, he has swallowed socks on 4 occasions. Only once did he show any signs of obstruction at all, the other times he didn't show any signs, just developed diarrhea and vomiting, but still ate and drank and played normally. He was able to pass the socks each time by either throwing it up, or by pooping it out. The second time he did this, and became really sick, we took him to the vet and they felt his stomach, and she could feel a mass in there, she did an X-ray which only showed a shadow in the intestine. We didn't know what he had swallowed at that time, but we knew he had swallowed something. She gave him IV fluids, pain medication, and a laxative. She send us home with a high fibre canned food, that we had to feed him a Tbsp. every 1 to 2 hours, to help move his bowels along. That evening he was able to poop out the sock, it was my little grandsons sweat sock. The vet was really surprised he was able to pass the sock without surgery. I would continue to watch Bentley for symptoms, and if he doesn't improve or gets worse I would take him to the vet and do either an X-ray, or a barium X-ray to see if he has an obstruction. He could have swallowed a piece of the crate, or one of his toys or stuffed animals, it doesn't have to a big piece, even a small piece can cause problems. It doesn't have to be an obstruction, but it can cause an irritation in the stomach and cause the same symptoms. We cannot give Dozer or Blossom anything soft, no stuffed animals, no tennis balls, no pillows, no blankets, and especially no rope toys, they eat all of these, we cannot even give them a crate pad, they have to sleep on the plastic tray, because they will eat the pad or pillow. The only toys that we can give them are the hard Kong toys. Please keep us posted on how Bentley is doing, and what the vet says. I hope it's nothing serious and that Bentley is okay. Sending love, hugs, and prayers your way.

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
well we just got Bentley out of the vets office.. He said the same thing you all did. He wasn't running a fever and his throw up was clear and just chunks of food. he did do an xray and he couldn't see anything right off but said a small piece of toy or bed or anything could be the cause. He gave him a shot for nausea and then gave us some pills for diarrhea and nausea. He told us to take him off his food he is on now and go to white rice, cottage cheese, yogurt, boiled chicken, etc. until Monday and let his stomach settle back down before switching back to his dog food. So we'll keep our fingers crossed for a few days and see what happens. but for now he's still happy, playful, farty, burpy Bentley.. just with the :poo: lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
well we just got Bentley out of the vets office.. He said the same thing you all did. He wasn't running a fever and his throw up was clear and just chunks of food. he did do an xray and he couldn't see anything right off but said a small piece of toy or bed or anything could be the cause. He gave him a shot for nausea and then gave us some pills for diarrhea and nausea. He told us to take him off his food he is on now and go to white rice, cottage cheese, yogurt, boiled chicken, etc. until Monday and let his stomach settle back down before switching back to his dog food. So we'll keep our fingers crossed for a few days and see what happens. but for now he's still happy, playful, farty, burpy Bentley.. just with the :poo: lol

Some items do NOT show up on x-rays especially soft type items… you can request them to do a barium x-ray to check again. I would keep a close eye on him, we have had several bully's end up w/obstructions that were not found in the initial x-ray. Did they check him for any viruses? Hopefully he's just got a bug and isn't feeling good. Please keep us posted!!!

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
yeah he checked him and Bentley actually pooped while we were there and he said that since it was mucousy like that and with his throw up just being clear with food in it that tells him a lot.. He said usually all the bulldogs he has saw usually if they have a virus of some kind there throw up is colored and all but I know all dogs are different. we'll just monitor him close and see how it goes.. I think he might have swallowed a piece of his brand new Kong crate pad we just bought him.. my wife found where he had been chewing on it.. :( its a shame they cant have anything nice we try to buy them. I feel as if we're being mean by not giving him many toys or a nice bed ya know?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:sorry:Bentley can have kong toys, they stand up to the chewing of a bully, but they should still be monitored when they are playing with toys. We only give them their chew toys when we are in the room with them and able to supervise. You have to check the toys often or every day and look for signs of wear and tear and chewing. If they are worn down or have broken or loose pieces, throw the toy away. It can take them a while to pass an object that has been swallowed, it takes anywhere from a week to a month. Dozer threw up 2 of the socks he swallowed, and pooped out the other 2, it took about a week for him to pass them, but the last one that he swallowed at the end of October, took a whole month for him to throw it up. I knew he had swallowed that sock, so I watched his poops everyday, looking for it, but after being a CSI poop agent for two weeks, I forgot about it, as we were moving and I was busy packing. It was the end of November, the day before we were moving and and exactly a month after he ate the sock. At 5:30 that morning, he woke up and vomited in his crate, and when I went to clean it up with paper towel, I found the sock in the middle of the puke. You have to become a poop CSI agent and check his poops for foreign objects, like a piece of the crate pad, or a piece of toy he may have eaten. I hope he feels better soon, and is able to pass the object if he did swallow something. Please keep us posted on how Bentley is doing. Feel better Buddy. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Bentley.

this is one of the socks that Dozer pooped out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 45
OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
WOW that is insane!!!!:yikes: You wouldn't think they would swallow something like that! did his stools get better and everything normal during that time or was it always come and go one day to the next?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
He was perfectly normal for the whole month, he ate his food, drank water, played, and had normal poops, and then a month later, he threw up the sock. He has done this 4 times, we always keep our socks out of his reach, but I have a 6 year old grandson that we pick up after school and look after him, he always ages his socks off, and if I don't make sure he puts them in his boots or out of the way, Dozer will find them and he can swallow a sock in less than 5 seconds. Lol. I will never understand how they can swallow these items without choking on them. He has also swallowed a dish cloth, and pooped it out. Who needs toilet paper or wipes to clean your butt, when you can be as clean as a whistle by pooping out socks and dish cloths?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
For now the vet gave you the right treatment, if he continues to vomit and have diarrhea, the crate pad could be stuck somewhere. When did he chew it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
HA I guess if that works for him that's great... I think id rather go around dirty than to poop stuff like that out!

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
For now the vet gave you the right treatment, if he continues to vomit and have diarrhea, the crate pad could be stuck somewhere. When did he chew it up?

My wife just found it this morning after I left.. but I have a feeling he would've had to of done it the night before since he had diarrhea and all before we went to bed last night..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ok, he may throw it up or poop it out yet. Well be praying for him!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the gang has you on the right track..... I'm sending prayers he feels better and it is not anythig he ate that he should not have :pray:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
aww poor baby. Lola had sudden onset diarrhea for like 3 days straight, every two hours. we gave her a round of metronidazole and it got better within 24 hours. Our vet says that giardia and other bugs are just rampant outside when snow thaws. People are less likely to pick up after their pets in the winter, and the yellow snow sticks around for weeks. WHen everything does thaw, bacteria grow like crazy. Pups can pick things up on their paws, lick paws, get diarrhea. not even a baby wipe could prevent this. I hope its just a bug and not an obstruction. It sounds like a bug to me.

Members online

No members online now.