Problem with Bentley this morning

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
So to start off with I need some help/advice. Bentley was just at the Vet last Thursday for a ear infection.. He gave him some drops and his last puppy booster, along with a rabies shot and the worm meds. while we were there he checked his stool and everything and all was good and healthy. Everything has been fine since then and stools were hard. well starting last night they were real runny... I woke up this morning at 3 am to him stomping around his kennel needing to go out which was odd for him.. so I took him out and he did his business and it was like pure watery diarrhea. So we came back in and he went back to sleep in the kennel. Well about 5 am we heard him move around again and before I could get into the living room he went all over the kennel.. Im not sure what to do about it. We haven't changed anything in his food and like I said before everything was great even yesterday morning his stools were fine and then bam last night diarrhea bad.. There's no throwing up and hes still eating and drinking fine for now. he's still playful and all. But I would like some other opinions. Id hate to take him to the vet again and just be throwing money away for nothing when just last week he was fine.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm that seems strange, I would think it would have nothing to do w/his vet visit because that was a week prior. Has he eaten anything lately besides his kibble?!! What about kid's toys, or doggie chews?!! Rawhides?!! Bullies are prone to obstructions because some love to eat EVERYTHING!!! How old is Bentley?!!

Totally random, but I see you are from Bristol, TN. My grandfather lives in Bristol, VA… been going there for years. Beautiful area :w00t:

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
yes actually we just moved to Abingdon va but we are right on the state line. and that's great.... and to answer your question no the only thing he has had is his kibble. We give him a treat every day or two as well but they are just blue buffalo biscuits and he has been doing fine on his food and those up until now. We did notice yesterday that he has been chewing the underneath of his kong crate pad but from what I could tell he didn't eat any of it. Would something like that all of a sudden cause him to have diarrhea? We never give him any rawhides. the only toys he gets are his rope toys and balls, the occasional stuffed animal because he loves those.. but as soon as he tears them to where the stuffing is exposed we take them.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
If your totally sure he hasnt eaten anything he shouldnt and no change in diet etc and is up to date with all shots etc he may just have an upset tummy. Give him canned pumpkin that helps with both diarrhea and constipation xx

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It is possible… I'm going to tag some members that have more experience w/obstructions to get their take on this. I know that sometimes they have vomiting & diarrhea… just in general NOT feeling well. Is he eating/drinking normally?!! You can add pure pumpkin (NOT the pie filling) to his kibble to help firm up the stools just a couple of tablespoons. Sometimes they are just getting too much kibble, and this is especially the case w/puppies... I cut back my Winston for the same reasons.

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
yeah i'll give the pumpkin a try. We give him a cup and a half of the morning and then another cup and a half in the afternoon. I've heard everyone say not to feed them that much and I've had people say to feed him a lot more than that. He gets the Blue Buffalo fish and potatoes. He is still drinking like a fish,which he always has.. My wife just called though and said he hasn't touched his food yet but some mornings that's normal because hes lazy in general. She is suppose to let me know though if he don't eat. I just know the pooping like he did is not like him at all.. he was going every 2 hours and then this morning couldn't even make it to the door.

Last edited:

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would definitely cut down on the food… how old is Bentley? Is he overweight? I would give him a cup in the morning, and a cup in the afternoon. Many of us on here have given our bullies various fruits & veggies to keep them full, but not pack on the pounds.

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
He just turned 9 months old. He weighs 54 pounds. The vet said he thought he was really well balanced right now but he didn't want to see him get much bigger. I thought about cutting down on his food to that but it seems like when I try to give him less when he gets done with it he looks up at you and gives you that look.. like really is that all I get? haha. But i'll cut down and see how that goes. I thought that might be an issue if I was giving him to much protein. What kind of fruits and veggies do they like the best?

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He just turned 9 months old. He weighs 54 pounds. The vet said he thought he was really well balanced right now but he didn't want to see him get much bigger. I thought about cutting down on his food to that but it seems like when I try to give him less when he gets done with it he looks up at you and gives you that look.. like really is that all I get? haha. But i'll cut down and see how that goes. I thought that might be an issue if I was giving him to much protein. What kind of fruits and veggies do they like the best?

My bullies liked bananas, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, apples, green beans, broccoli, carrots and snap peas. Make sure to ONLY give him one variety at a time so you can see if he has allergies… redness, bumps, patches of hair loss, vomiting and diarrhea.

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
My bullies liked bananas, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, apples, green beans, broccoli, carrots and snap peas. Make sure to ONLY give him one variety at a time so you can see if he has allergies… redness, bumps, patches of hair loss, vomiting and diarrhea.

Do you give the peas, green beans, etc. to them just raw? We tried giving him apples once and he wasn't to fond of those lol but i'll try the other stuff to

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you give the peas, green beans, etc. to them just raw? We tried giving him apples once and he wasn't to fond of those lol but i'll try the other stuff to

Yep… just raw!!! Cut them up in edible pieces, because of course they swallow them whole!!! LOL

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
well the wife just called and said he is throwing up now.. would the food still be the cause or should I take him on to the vet again?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If he has vomiting now, AND very loose stools, I would take him in to the vet. He could have a virus,-or an obstruction. You never know with a bully-they are so good at finding things you didn't even KNOW you had around. Best Wishes.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree w/Lynn… he needs to be seen by the vet. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

OP
mitch4910

mitch4910

Feb 25, 2014
Bristol Tn
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Yeah tell me about it... he found a zipper on one of his old beds and was constantly unzipping it when no one was around.. He is a very sneaky pup. But on the other note my wife is bringing him out in a few and we are going to the vet. I'll keep you all posted. thanks for the responses. This is our first bulldog and I kinda knew what to expect but my wife is flipping out over it haha

Most Reactions