English Bulldog Doesnt want to play. Advice Needed

motojustin44

Feb 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Monster
Hello,

I have a soon to be six year old English Bulldog and a Six Month Old BullDog Mix that I rescued at 6 weeks. My English bulldog has no desire to play with any dogs I know he is getting older but is this normal for there age to just wanna chill most all day. My Mix bulldog wants to play with him all the time and loves him but my English bulldog would just rather chill out in the recliner. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to make him want to play and wrestle with other dogs. He doesn't attack any other dogs he just pretty much ignores them. Any advice is greatly appreciated I just see all these videos of there English Bulldog playing with other dogs and mine never wanted too ever.

Thanks
Justin

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
yeah a 6 year old bully has earned the right to hang out on the recliner while the youngins play. :) seriously, that's why bulldogs are good apartment dogs, they require not much exercise. and they can be prone to joint problems.
Lola is three and will spend at least two days a week sleeping 21 hours.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
At age six they pretty much want to eat and sleep (and snuggle).

He may change his mind once he's a bit older, he likely knows how young he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My 6 year old also doesn't play much. He does for a few mins every so often with our youngest, but that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
BeBe is 7 years old now and pretty much just wants to lay around, but she will every once in awhile play with the pups when we have some and will play with the Frenchies sometimes, but not much. I guess she has to be in the mood.

OP
M

motojustin44

Feb 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Monster
I cannot think everyone enough for the messages. They are my kids so I was always scared something was wrong. He doesnt like the puppy to cuddle with him. Guess he is just a grumpy old man.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My bullies are only 3yo so I don't have experience with older dogs but you got some great feedback here :) You could always try a new toy or some kind of interactive puzzles they have for dogs…not sure if that'll work but might be worth a try?

Anyways, WELCOME to the forum and hope to see pics of your bullies soon!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
with my 2 the mood has to be right for them to decide they want to play but for the most part they like to cuddle and chill out

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
My (at the time) 11 year old Blue Heeler wanted NOTHING to do with Molly when we brought her home. Now 2 years later... Ellie (who is now 13) gives me the 'ARE YOU FRICKEN KIDDING ME!!!! ANOTHER ONE!!!' look every time she gets around Kevin (16 months).

Luckily Molly and Kevin entertain themselves chewing on each other and leave Ellie alone. I think they see her as 'grumpy grandma' who won't tolerate any of their juvenile antics (They are both afraid of her :) ).

Your solution is simple... Get a 3rd bulldog puppy!

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Marley is a little over 6 and she'll play with jake with 20-30 mins but then she sleeps for a good 2-3 hours afterwards. Seems like he makes her feel young, then annoyed, then sleepy haha

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online