We move this weekend...

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
So we will be moving to a new house this weekend and I wonder if anyone has any tips on how their housebreaking will be affected? Any tips to minimize damage or accidents? Appreciate any thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have not moved in a long time , wish I was more helpful. Are you moving far?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When we moved, the bullies adjusted pretty well, it didn't take them long to get used to the place. Good luck Sally, and I hope the move goes smooth.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sally, when I moved into my present home almost 2 years ago, we were coming from a condo so the transition to house breaking was not difficult. They went from going on pee pads indoors to going outside to potty in their backyard. I would just say that you will probably have a few accidents here and there since it's a new environment but once they're settled in, I'm sure they will know where their potty breaks are supposed to be. Good luck and congrats on your new place!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
We moved with porky when she was 6 months old n my biggest fear was a regression in her potty training, I shouldn't have worried so much :)!!! She was absolutely amazing n asked to go out which she didn't before the move we just took her when we figured she had to go!! I think they know :)

RIP all the bullies who got their wings to soon u were all loved

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
When I moved from a carpeted apartment into my wood floor house it confused the heck out of my oldest dog. He was peeing everywhere in the house. We decided to start back to the basic and re-crate train him. Basically anytime we couldn't watch him he would go to sleep in the crate. It took him about a week or two to learn that the wood floors were not outside.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hope everything goes smooth for you. We moved almost a year ago when Meeko was about 8months old. I stressed out and worried so much about it and all for nothing. I made sure we moved everything first (furniture wise) and took meeko and his bed on the last trip so he wasnt left alone in the new house and everything that was here had a familiar smell to him. We had him on the leash and took him straight out to the garden for about 15 mins for him to explore and waited for him to toilet then praised him like a crazy fool. He then came inside and sniffed around and we kept letting him out the garden regularly. We didnt have any accidents and moving was a success - I stressed over nothing! Hope ur move goes well xx

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
When I moved into my new place almost a year ago, I walked the dogs through the house showing them each room then went out into the backyard and let them explore I told them to "go potty" and that was it for them they haven't had any accidents inside the house. I think the key is to show them right away where the "potty place" is so there isn't any confusion. Good luck and hope your move is easy and stress free.

OP
NigelsMom

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Thanks everyone! We are not moving far luckily I found something in the same neighborhood. I love it because it's so small and is it's own city so police are always around and I feel safe. It's just 1.1 mile from where we are now. I think Nigel senses something is going on cause he's been extra cuddly lately and you can imagine the house with boxes all over. I've talked to him and let him know he need not worry that he will love the new house but I do want to try to keep him downstairs and this mean he won't be sleeping with me anymore (we will see how long that lasts) lol. He and Karly are 3 yrs old now so I hope they will do well and not be all confused about pottying outside and not in the house. Thanks for the well wishes - can't wait to get settled! Here's some pics for you to enjoy!

New House.jpgNew House2.jpgNew House17.jpgNew House18.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, we moved 3 months ago, and we had no problems with our guys transitioning from one house to the other. We closed our house and received our keys on the Friday, but we didn't pick up our moving truck until Saturday morning. We took all the pets, both dogs, the cat, and our bird to the new house on Friday, and settled them in. We set up the dogs crates in the basement family room, so they would be out of the way of the main floor and the movers, and the bird cage, and covered the bird so he could relax, and we set up the kitty litter box and her food and water in the laundry room. We let Dozer and Blossom roam the house, and sniff around, and the same for Meeko the cat. I slept over at the new house to stay with the pets, so I could take them out for their duties at night, and in the morning. Hubby got the truck in the morning, and my son, his two friends, and my son in law moved all the furniture. I stayed at the house and unpacked the dishes and other kitchen stuff, and ran everything through the dish washer and put them away. I cleaned the bathroom, and set it up, so we had kitchen and bathroom functioning. The pets stayed in the basement which is completely finished with family room and a bedroom, and bathroom, so it was warm and away from all the people coming in and out, so they wouldn't be scared or run out the door while it was open. I took them outside for their duties on their regular schedule, and they did fine with no accidents. I hope you have a smooth move and Congratulations in your new place. Please keep us posted on how the move went, and how Nigel copes, can't wait to see your new house pics.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! We are not moving far luckily I found something in the same neighborhood. I love it because it's so small and is it's own city so police are always around and I feel safe. It's just 1.1 mile from where we are now. I think Nigel senses something is going on cause he's been extra cuddly lately and you can imagine the house with boxes all over. I've talked to him and let him know he need not worry that he will love the new house but I do want to try to keep him downstairs and this mean he won't be sleeping with me anymore (we will see how long that lasts) lol. He and Karly are 3 yrs old now so I hope they will do well and not be all confused about pottying outside and not in the house. Thanks for the well wishes - can't wait to get settled! Here's some pics for you to enjoy!

View attachment 67064View attachment 67065View attachment 67066View attachment 67067

Nice home!! I don't think you will have any problems. Good luck and congratulations on the new place!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

View attachment 67064View attachment 67065View attachment 67066View attachment 67067

Wow, what a gorgeous home! At least only being a mile away it should be a fairly easy move. Wait a minute, who am I kidding? :rofl:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

BEAUTIFUL..... best of luck!

We moved twice with Banks in a 4 month window (home constructions /temp apartment) and she did not miss on anything, took her to the apartment and the house before we moved in and let her roam around for about an hour or so.... then after the move was done... just let her in as if she had gone for a walk or something --- she spent time checking the whole place out and then it was as if she lived their all along

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Oh how pretty , best of luck and I hope the baby's adjust quickly .

Most Reactions