Umbilical hernia repair

TacorisBulldogs

Feb 11, 2014
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tacori
Hello! So Tacori is almost 12 weeks. She has a pretty decent sized umbilical hernia, about the size of a dime. It's not painful for her but it does stick out and everyone agrees that we should have it repaired. I am looking for recommendations as to what age we should wait to have the surgery. Recommendations are appreciated! Thanks

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I had Rocco's done at 6 months when we was neutered. He is 8 months now and it looks like nothing ever happened.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I waited for a year old to get it repaired at the same time as the neuter. I was really worried about having my dog put under more than needed. I took my pup in to the vet first to make sure it was ok to wait. The vet told me I could rub the hernia gently a few times a day to help push it back in as some can close on there own.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I would have the hernia repair done when the spay/neuter is done that way you don't have to have your baby put under more ... that's how I did it with my first bulldog.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Agreed -Umbilical hernias can be congenital, due to an inherited defect in the muscular ring at the base of the umbilical that causes it to fail to completely closes of -especially if its pretty decent size -i would wait when its time to get her spayed -but check with your vet first just to make sure

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi,
I have had two dogs with umbilical hernias. They were both the size that you describe. Since I had done this when my second son was born with a hernia-I tried it with the dogs. Just for background-My second son was born with a scrotal hernia and an umbilical hernia. Dr.s said wait until he is about 5 yrs. old for surgery. Well he cried alot as a baby and when he did, the umb. hernia would blow up like a small balloon. I couldn't stand seeing it. I put a quarter on it, and I think at the time, I put surgical tape on it.Well, within 6 mo. the hernia closed up. My French/eng had a hernia. I put a quarter on it, and used vet wrap, and wrapped it around her to hold it in place. Vet wrap is not expensive, so when it would get too dirty, I would replace. Then when I got Maude, she,too had an Umb. hernia. I again did that-and my vet said-it was a good idea-that he has done that,too. Well, it worked all three times-so I think it is worth a try!!! It certainly won't hurt! ( of course my son had surgery for the scrotal hernia)

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Kevin is having his done when he's neutered... and we aren't doing that until he's 1-ish.

I'm what you would call 'frugal' (or as my wife calls me.... cheap). And it is WAY less expensive to have it done when they are neutered/spayed.

I would just make sure you have the Vet check her out and make sure its not causing her any issues. As to when you can actually have it repaired... i believe you can have it done at any age after 2-3 months (that's what somebody told me... who knows if its true).

OP
TacorisBulldogs

TacorisBulldogs

Feb 11, 2014
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tacori
Thanks everyone...Manydogs, thank you. We will be trying this exactly as you said. I can feel it getting smaller...It bubbles out when she pushes her belly out. I can push it back in very easily, I'm going to tape it up and hope that it closes.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hows her hernia now? Any improvements ?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.