Neuter now or wait

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I was told the longer I can wait the bigger his head will get. This was the breeder that told me. I am sure she knows, but was wondering if anyone else had an opinion about it.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I've heard otherwise from members on here as well as my vet

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
satch1151

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
You mean it makes them smaller?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
This is a picture of Vegas and his adult head he will be 5 in 3 weeks, I adopted Vegas when he was 4 and half months old. He was already neutered. I really don't believe in the myth of early neuter, smaller head, LOL, he is a brut!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't think there's any proof either way. Neutering makes them smaller, bigger, fatter, skinnier.. lol..

I'm waiting until Blue's fully grown. That's because "my opinion" is testosterone is necessary for building healthy muscles and joints for a growing male of any species. Castrating reduces testosterone to very low levels.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Why neuter? If your dog will be in a controlled environment with the likely hood of an unwanted litter of dogs is minimal or non existent then why on earth would you have the dog neutered? It's not healthier it doesn't improve their behavior, there is no necessity of it. Neutering is just an oft repeated bundle of propaganda that began many years ago because of the multitude of unwanted dogs and neutering was a way of seeking to minimize that problem. The latest research that I am aware of and I have done scores of research is that there is no benefit in neutering except for prevention of unwanted pregnancies. I'm not on a crusade and never bring up the subject unless I see questions about it and then give my 2 cents worth. But I wouldn't have it done unless there was an overriding issue with the dog that made it mandatory or a last resort. Folks will often bring up that research shows that neutered dogs have less incidences of testicular cancer. I guess so the dog has been castrated and no longer has testicles

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
You mean it makes them smaller?

No I've heard that it makes no difference. My big concern was size as well. My vet told me it's in his genetics how big he will grow. Was I skeptical? Yes. Did I attend veterinary school? No. So I took his word. Rocco is 50 lbs and a week short of 9 months. He was neutered at 6 months. A friend of mine has a 16 month old intact male and his crazy and humping behavior has led him to change his mind and he is thinking about neutering him. Rocco is almost the exact same size as him now as well. There will be many arguments either way but at the end of the day you need to do what you feel is best. If you're not intending to breed then I don't see why you wouldn't. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
satch1151

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
Ya I really did not want to bring up a fight lol I was just wondering. And that is the reason why I want to so he does hump legs and stuff. Thanks for all the input and your dog Vegas looks awesome.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I don't think there's any proof either way. Neutering makes them smaller, bigger, fatter, skinnier.. lol..

Well.. There is a little proof.

One of the Vet's we see wanted to Neuter Kevin at 4 months. I did TONS of research talking to other vets and dog-people (breeders, trainers, dog show nuts... etc).

Here is what i concluded:

• The 'Head will be smaller' is a Myth.
  • Early Neutered dogs are shown to have longer legs due to delayed closure of growth plates.
  • Evidence that shows an (startling) increase in hip dysplasia with early neutered males.

And talk about scary... (quote from the AKC Health foundation)
The most profound observations were in hip dysplasia in male dogs when comparing early and late-neutering. The risk of development of hip dysplasia doubles, and disease occurs at a younger age in the early-neuter group compared to both the intact and late-neuter group. No occurrence of CCL disease was observed in intact male or intact female dogs, or in late-neutered females. In early-neutered dogs, the incidence of CCL was 5.1 percent in males and 7.7 percent in females, suggesting that neutering prior to sexual maturity significantly increases a dog’s risk of developing CCL disease. With respect to cancer, cases of lymphoma were 3-fold greater in the early-neutered males. Interestingly, incidence of mast cell tumors (male and female dogs) and hemangiosarcoma (female dogs only) were highest in the late-neuter group.

In the end.. i decided to wait until Kevin is 1 year old to have him neutered. Since he is what i would call 'Larg-ish-boned' (aka.. chubby) any chance i have of reducing hip/joint issues in the future out-weigh the chance of him getting 'dude dog' tendencies (marking, humping.. etc).

My vet agreed after a long talk.. (aka.. he realized he'd have to find another way to make his boat payment).

IMHO.. this is an interesting topic that has started to gain traction in the dog world. My friends in Agility are very 'anti-nueter'. More studies are being done and hopefully REAL facts start spreading... not just 'SMALL HEAD!! SMALL HEAD!!'.

If you want to read more about this subject...

Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (talking about the golden retriever study)
https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/130401s.aspx

American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation (talking about the vizsla study)
http://www.akcchf.org/news-events/news/health-implications-in-early.html

(more talking about the Vizsla Health Survey)
http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/vizsla_javma_study.pdf

(and a general article on how neutering affects of 'sports dogs')
http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/spay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My vet agreed after a long talk.. (aka.. he realized he'd have to find another way to make his boat payment).

Ha!ha! Love it! The vet I had years ago, had his whole office redone. I told him that "wasn't he happy to be able to do that with MY money!!"
:sarcastic:

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Side note to my last message... I just saw that the AKC will continue funding research into this subject.
http://www.akcchf.org/news-events/news/akc-canine-health-foundation-13.html

Phase two of Dr. Hart’s research will include: Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherd Dogs and Dachshunds. Rottweilers, Chihuahuas, Standard Poodles and Miniature Poodles will be included if resources and patient data are available.

Armed with prudent guidelines for when to spay and neuter dogs we will have a significant impact on the quality of life for dogs.

Lets start a petition to get EB's included!!! :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Well.. There is a little proof.

One of the Vet's we see wanted to Neuter Kevin at 4 months. I did TONS of research talking to other vets and dog-people (breeders, trainers, dog show nuts... etc).

Here is what i concluded:

• The 'Head will be smaller' is a Myth.
  • Early Neutered dogs are shown to have longer legs due to delayed closure of growth plates.
  • Evidence that shows an (startling) increase in hip dysplasia with early neutered males.

And talk about scary... (quote from the AKC Health foundation)

In the end.. i decided to wait until Kevin is 1 year old to have him neutered. Since he is what i would call 'Larg-ish-boned' (aka.. chubby) any chance i have of reducing hip/joint issues in the future out-weigh the chance of him getting 'dude dog' tendencies (marking, humping.. etc).

IMHO.. this is an interesting topic that has started to gain traction in the dog world. My friends in Agility are very 'anti-nueter'. More studies are being done and hopefully REAL facts start spreading... not just 'SMALL HEAD!! SMALL HEAD!!'.

If you want to read more about this subject...

Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (talking about the golden retriever study)
https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/130401s.aspx

American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation (talking about the vizsla study)
http://www.akcchf.org/news-events/news/health-implications-in-early.html

(more talking about the Vizsla Health Survey)
http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/vizsla_javma_study.pdf

(and a general article on how neutering affects of 'sports dogs')
http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/spay_neuter_considerations_2013.pdf

I don't disagree. I was only commenting on the "head" myth.
Further down in my post I say that I believe testosterone is necessary for healthy joints and muscles.
In fact, I started a thread on your first link a week or so ago..lol.. :D
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...-neuter-or-not-to-neuter-that-is-the-question

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names