Advice needed on aftermath of spaying my bullie and cherry eye!!

Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Hey guys! Miss piggy is having a few surgical procedures done tomorrow- snipping her lower eyelids which have been causing eye ulcers, scraping the ulcers to hopefully promote healing, and being spayed. I am still on the fence whether or not to remove her third eyelid and take care of the cherry eye (comes and goes randomly) and I'm not sure whether or not to do the nasal widening surgery. I was thinking I'd do the nasal and cherry eye at a later time since it'd only be about 200-300 for both and they're not effecting her. So my main question, how did your female dog act after being spayed? Anything I should watch out for? How long did it take for a full recovery? She's gonna be put through a lot tomorrow so I'm sure with the combined surgeries it'll be a lot harder on her verses just doing a spay by itself. Any advice or input is appreciated! I'd just like a heads up on what to expect tomorrow when I pick her up :( **also if anyone got the cherry eye procedure done or nasal widening surgery done! please tell me about your experience too!**

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I sure hope the eye surgeries will help, ulcers are so painful :(

Watch for any swelling or angry tissue, recommend not to use the absorbent stitches but the ones that need removed on the outer skin for the spay.

She will likely need to wear a cone. There is soft cones at pet stores you can get rather than the hard plastic ones.

Let us know how it goes, you and miss piggy will be in our thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
When Joey got back from her spay she was very sleepy and it took her a day or two to get back to her normal self, she didn't want to eat or do anything but to sleep. Boeboe on the other hand was acting fine right away. If I don't remember wrong they should be kept still for a few days... also keep an eye on the incision area. Stitches could come out after 10-14 days on ours, but I guess that can differ from vet to vet:unsure:

A week ago one of our non bulldog dogs (think he's shar pei mixed with something else) had Cherry Eye surgery, I dropped him of at 9am and 3 hours later they called me that I could pick him up:blink: I was like "WHAT"? I don't know how they did the exam, preparation, anesthetics, surgery and recovery in that time but at 2pm when I finally got there he was wide awake and SO ready to go home. Once home he jumped out of the car and ran around in the garden like nothing had happened. His eyes looked really good from right after the surgery, I couldn't even tell he had an operation. He got a week worth of Rimadyl for swelling and pain and I got a tube of eye ointment that I put every 4 hours. It's been a week tomorrow and his eyes are still looking good, he's squinting one eye a little sometimes but the vet said the stitches can annoy him before they dissolve.

Will be thinking of you and Miss Piggy, it's always stressful when our kids are having operations even if it's a routine one. Hugs to you both:hug:

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June had her spay surgery in December on a Friday. We picked her up in the evening and she was very drowsy. She slept the whole night away until the morning and then she was completely normal and trying to run around like nothing ever happened! We were told to only give her about 1/3 of her food and a little water and then wait 30 minutes. The medications can cause an upset stomach. She did fine and we gave her another 1/3 and then finished off later in the evening. We did have to carry her outside and hold her up a little to go potty. The vet also said she may not need to go (again, the medications throw things out of wack) but she went as normal. Everything was normal until exactly a week later her incision was red and seemed like it was oozing some clear fluid. Took her to the vet and they looked at it for a minute and said there was just a small infection. We were given Clavamox twice a day for a week and the infection was gone in probably a day or 2. She never tried to mess with the incision so she never wore the cone, but she did want to jump up and down off of the couch and run around which almost gave me a heart attack! I felt bad having to crate her so much but a few days in the crate is better than another week or 2 with stitches.

OP
D
Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Thanks so much guys! I'll definitely know what to look out for now. Lisa- Why is it recommended to use the removable stitches vs. the absorbent ones? Less risk of infection that way? My vet told me the absorbable ones were an extra $30 if i wanted to choose those but i obviously want to choose the best kind with lowest risk of infection! Petra- can i ask how did they remove the cherry eye? Did they remove the entire third eyelid? I've heard that that's the best way to do it as there are 2 other methods for cherry eye, but if you remove the third eyelid it causes a big risk for chronic dry eye which would need lifetime care of eye drops to lubricate it correctly.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thanks so much guys! I'll definitely know what to look out for now. Lisa- Why is it recommended to use the removable stitches vs. the absorbent ones? Less risk of infection that way? My vet told me the absorbable ones were an extra $30 if i wanted to choose those but i obviously want to choose the best kind with lowest risk of infection! Petra- can i ask how did they remove the cherry eye? Did they remove the entire third eyelid? I've heard that that's the best way to do it as there are 2 other methods for cherry eye, but if you remove the third eyelid it causes a big risk for chronic dry eye which would need lifetime care of eye drops to lubricate it correctly.

Sorry I totally missed this post:blush2: Think we got it covered in the message though:) I usually write the questions that I might have for the vet or surgeon down as I tend to be a wreak when at the vet:ashamed: The surgeon who did the cherry eye on Lucky probably rolled her eyes after I left as I asked about what anesthetics they use, lol. She doesn't know it but it matters to me:)

I wanted to add that it's very important to not allow water or food before any operation, I've realized not all vets inform about that. I'd say take water and food away at least 12 hours before the surgery... I know some will recommend less hours but Boeboe got sick during her first operation and it scared me so bad:( Normally for any operation you leave your dog at the vet in the morning when they open... so then it's easy to just skip the morning feed and take away the water in the evening.

Time for bed here:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I missed the thread earlier this week.... hope all went well ---- any update?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.