Teeth Cleaning with Magnetic Blanket?!

B

Baxter Tiberius

So I take Baxter to this super super nice doggy daycare / boarding place here in Miami.

They have a back room with crazy extras like massage room, accupuncture, accupressure, grooming, and even a quiet room for nervous dogs. Couches, beanbags, etc.

Their clientele are the upper class downtown miami people who make me look like I am poverty stricken with their income, so I guess it caters to them.

Anyways, they have a dental person coming on Thursday, and I wanted to get Baxter's teeth cleaned. I asked if it was just a quick 5 minute brushing, and she said "No, its a very thorough cleaning that takes some time".

My next question was: "Do you sedate the dog then? If its tooth scaling and really getting them clean, how do you do it?"

She said "No sedation. We don't have a license for that anyway. The dental person brings a magnetic blanket and wraps it around the dog. This calms the dog significantly. She spends time with them in a calm setting, and then begins the dental cleaning".

Has anyone heard of such a thing? My first concern is baxter getting overheated from some crazy blanket. My second thought was that it sounds like new age nonsense that doesn't do a darn thing. And my third thought was "Good luck with your blanket because as soon as you stick that chicken flavored paste in his mouth, he's going to turn into a ravaging slobber monster gobbling it up!"

Do these blankets work?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Never heard of them, I'll be curious to see if anyone else has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Definitely interesting. .. And i would love to hear how it goes. ... if you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging for this magnetic blanket dental procedure lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

A lot. I think its like $40 which is insane. However .... if they truly do a thorough "scaling" (or somewhat similar to scaling - actual in depth cleaning) then I am all for it. I know how important dental health is to heart health and other issues bully's struggle with. Obviously a regular 30 second finger brushing shouldn't cost that much. I'll find out on Thursday and report my findings.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've never heard of that either, curios as to how it turns out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never heard of it.... we have a alternative vet at the practice we go to, I'll have to ask about it next time I go.

looking forward to your report

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wonder if it works like a Thundershirt... calms them down..

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I've no idea if a magnetic blanket will calm the animal down, but I've read somewhere about magnetic therapy for horses. I thought it had more to do with removing pain /curing inflammation, though.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Okay well ...

Turns out the cleaning was indeed a "scaling". Very deep cleaning that they apparently do anesthesia for, usually. Instead, she uses this magical blanket (????!!). Now I feel like I wouldn't want Baxter to get a painful dental procedure with just some blanket, to be honest! Oh, and the price was quoted wrong. Its actually $145 (!) ... the lady saw Baxters 8 month old teeth, said they are "perfect" gave him a brushing, and told me she wasn't going to charge me, because he didn't need the procedure done. I never got to see the magical blanket, but i'm still pretty confused about the service. She is a veterinarian in town and owns a side business for dental cleanings for pets. So I guess its somewhat established and legit.

-B-

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay well ...

Turns out the cleaning was indeed a "scaling". Very deep cleaning that they apparently do anesthesia for, usually. Instead, she uses this magical blanket (????!!). Now I feel like I wouldn't want Baxter to get a painful dental procedure with just some blanket, to be honest! Oh, and the price was quoted wrong. Its actually $145 (!) ... the lady saw Baxters 8 month old teeth, said they are "perfect" gave him a brushing, and told me she wasn't going to charge me, because he didn't need the procedure done. I never got to see the magical blanket, but i'm still pretty confused about the service. She is a veterinarian in town and owns a side business for dental cleanings for pets. So I guess its somewhat established and legit.

-B-

At least she was honest about your boy not needing the cleaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
yeah, we always get complimented (well Lola does) on how clean Lola's teeth are….from chewin stuff!

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Interesting...I might google it tomorrow and see what comes up

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online